Stupid mistakes

Am just wondering what stupid mistakes some of you have made.

I have heard of people getting peed off out on the road and parking up the lorry, leaving the keys behind and walking off home, but have any of yous done something similar to that but forgot to take your tacho card out of the unit or something like that and then having to go cap in hand to the transport office to get it back.

Maybe some other mistake maybe that i haven’t thought of.

Many years ago my job was looking after the vehicles which were being shipped from Larne to Stranraer & vice Aversa, one night I had forgotten to put the delivery notes into one of the vehicles which was being shipped over to Larne, so I rushed down to the harbour & luck was with me as the ship was still loading, I run down the link span & asked one of the loaders to throw the notes in the cab, I was told it was on the top deck & that they were not allowed to enter the cabs, off I go to find the vehicle and duly put the notes in the cab, back down to the lower deck & they were lifting the link span, back up I go to the find the gang way, too late I was now on my way to Larne, a few hours later I returned to Stranraer & from the ship I could see the service van with the headlights on & the door still open as I had left it a few hours earlier, I could hear that the engine was still running as i walked back to it.

I thought I was going to get a serious talking to when I got back to the depot, John Sutherland the manager started off very stern but after a few minutes he burst out laughing & all was good again.

Reversed a fully freighted tilt through the workshop doors a while back, was blind side reversing and was also keeping an eye on Pablo the security mans dog (hound from hell we call him :grimacing: ) as he has a habit of running under trailers, another couple of feet and touched the doors ripping the whole thing around 30ft wide off the runners and bending the bottom edge :unamused:
My ins covered it but was gutted as its the only claim ive put in for years…

Security womble checked my seal, gave me the thumbs up, then I smashed through the barrier that wasn’t yet raised. I lost my entire ‘no damage’ bonus over that - worth about £340.

Managed to reverse into the warehouse just fine, got tipped, then drove out before the trailer suspension had levelled. Only took the panelling off from above the door. Two days later, another driver took the replacement panels off doing the exact same thing.
Asking the boss if “bollockings are two for one now” wasn’t a good idea either.

ezydriver:
Security womble checked my seal, gave me the thumbs up, then I smashed through the barrier that wasn’t yet raised. I lost my entire ‘no damage’ bonus over that - worth about £340.

Best so far! :smiley:

Should appear in Carry on trucking that one.

I once climbed out of my cab at lymm services middle of summer completely naked as a jaybird, walked halfway across the tarmac and it suddenly hit me, I had forgot to put on my sunglasses, I felt so embarrassed I then raced back to my truck only to find that they were already on my head. I felt like a right fool.

Stuck my head out the window once during a tight reverse, window was only a little way down… gave myself a nosebleed.

Used to work part-time for a haulage company, got back on a Sunday afternoon, nobody else around, big yard plenty of room and all the trucks parked neatly round the side, got in my car and reversed it into one of the trucks. :blush:
The boss lived on site so heard the crash and asked what happened, he did struggle to keep a straight face when I told him :confused: and the next time I came into work all the drivers had put pallets in front of their trucks to stop me driving into them, ■■■■ taking [zb]'s :laughing:

Went to tip 30 tons of sand off in the dark the other morning at a usual site. Problem is that you can’t tip all the way up without hitting the shed roof so tip a bit and pull forward is the order of the day. I did this back door bangs I assume I’m tipped. Went and weighed out on the bridge, no problems on way to next collection… first downhill section I’m picking up speed, and same again on next slope, then it dawns on me that I still have quite a bit of sand left in the back! Climbed up ladder on trailer when I arrived and to my surprise there was around 8-10 tons still in the back!! Whoops lesson learned!

Went to tip 30 tons of sand off in the dark the other morning at a usual site. Problem is that you can’t tip all the way up without hitting the shed roof so tip a bit and pull forward is the order of the day. I did this back door bangs I assume I’m tipped. Went and weighed out on the bridge, no problems on way to next collection… first downhill section I’m picking up speed, and same again on next slope, then it dawns on me that I still have quite a bit of sand left in the back! Climbed up ladder on trailer when I arrived and to my surprise there was around 8-10 tons still in the back!! Whoops lesson learned!

Not sure if funny or stupid. But I once took a load to Travis perkins in Lowestoft, booked in and opened curtains, unstrapped load and climbed back in cab. I sat there for about 20 minutes watching the yard bods looking at my load and smiling. Eventually I asked how long they were going to be before I got tipped and they said we don’t know and asked me to have a good look at the load and asked me if I knew what was wrong. It took about 10 seconds before the penny dropped. The load wasn’t for Travis perkins, it was for Jewsons.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

ezydriver:
Security womble checked my seal, gave me the thumbs up, then I smashed through the barrier that wasn’t yet raised.

Pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Quality

I was driving around an industrial estate but couldn`t find the customer. So I pulled into a transport yard to get directions. The drivers looked at me a bit sideways like, but gave directions right enough. Out the yard, out the estate, around the ring road and 15 miles into the next town…

OK here we go. First day of last job was asked to take a truck down to the dealer in salisbury and come back in the works van with another driver. Left my card in the truck them had to drive back down in my car to pick it up.

Not truck related used to work in a enginnering workshop had to unload some bales of aluminium from a truck got on the forklift started up quickly checked behind me looked clear and moved off and ripped a large sliding door off the runners. Had looked through the open wicket door set in the sliding door. :unamused:

Week after getting the sliding door fixed had another load to move. One of the fitters jokingly took the ■■■■ about me hitting the door. I put the forkie into reverse instead of forwards and hit it again.

The-Snowman:

ezydriver:
Security womble checked my seal, gave me the thumbs up, then I smashed through the barrier that wasn’t yet raised.

Pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Quality

+!
ive done that 3 times in 5 years,champing at the bit for the cabbages to give me the all clear,then took the barrier with me.

dieseldog999:
+!
ive done that 3 times in 5 years,champing at the bit for the cabbages to give me the all clear,then took the barrier with me.

How is that not surprising, in fact more surprising only 3 times.

UKtramp:

dieseldog999:
+!

places to go,boats to catch,trip dosh to earn,pricks to overtake.they all take their toll on your working day.(mine,obviously not yours) :unamused:

dieseldog999:

UKtramp:

dieseldog999:
+!

places to go,boats to catch,trip dosh to earn,pricks to overtake.they all take their toll on your working day.(mine,obviously not yours) :unamused:

Yes I understand.

UKtramp:

dieseldog999:

UKtramp:

dieseldog999:
+!

Yes I understand.

blinking flip,that was either too easy,or it was a wwoooossssshhhhh that passed you by. :slight_smile: