Stupid Idea?

hmmm…

Here is my idea. I need to do my CPC course and i see the charges are £30 for the theort and £55 for the test.

The company im thinking of using charge £250 for everything and that includes the truck hire as well.

Would it be cheaper for me to rent a truck for a few hours off a hire company and would i be able to legally drive it, as i dont have CPC, also what is the cost?

Maybe a daft idea that is blown out of the water but just wanted to try and save a few pennies!

Help appreciated!

Mod 4 initial dcpc can be done with a 5 tonne van for example and that would be for private use so no dcpc required

Do you need training for it or are you 100% certain you know what to do to pass it?

A read of this

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92095

Might answer a few questions as it is along the same sort of lines

ROG:
Mod 4 initial dcpc can be done with a 5 tonne van for example and that would be for private use so no dcpc required

Do you need training for it or are you 100% certain you know what to do to pass it?

I have a questions and answers sheet for the MOD 4 and i can get the theory book of ebay for a couple of quid.

Im sure i could find a few videos on youtube for the load securing maybe?

Ill check out 5 tonne van hire now i think.

drummerkev:

ROG:

I have a questions and answers sheet for the MOD 4 and i can get the theory book of ebay for a couple of quid.

Im sure i could find a few videos on youtube for the load securing maybe?

Ill check out 5 tonne van hire now i think.

You will be taking a risk without getting the right training so that the examiner will be happy

Presumably you wouldn’t be doing the initial CPC if you had cat C1 on your license so you’d have to get someone else to drive the vehicle or you could end up losing your license before you’ve even got it.

tachograph:
Presumably you wouldn’t be doing the initial CPC if you had cat C1 on your license so you’d have to get someone else to drive the vehicle or you could end up losing your license before you’ve even got it.

So you have to have CPC to drive anything over 3500kg? Even if its just for ‘social’ use?

So i couldnt drive a 5tonne van to the test centre. But my dad could as he has grandfather rights but can only drive up to 7.5 tonne?

drummerkev:

tachograph:

So you have to have CPC to drive anything over 3500kg? Even if its just for ‘social’ use?
No you need a license with cat C1 on it

So i couldnt drive a 5tonne van to the test centre. But my dad could as he has grandfather rights but can only drive up to 7.5 tonne?
If your grandfather has a cat C1 license he should be able to drive it for you.

tachograph:

drummerkev:

tachograph:

No you need a license with cat C1 on it

If your grandfather has a cat C1 license he should be able to drive it for you.

i do have cat C1 as i passed class 2 on friday and its automatically added correct?

So just to clarfiy, would I need my CPC to drive either a 5 tonne van or an 18 tonne rigid to the test centre so i could sit mod 4?

drummerkev:
i do have cat C1 as i passed class 2 on friday and its automatically added correct?

So just to clarfiy, would I need my CPC to drive either a 5 tonne van or an 18 tonne rigid to the test centre so i could sit mod 4?

Sorry my mistake, and congratulations :wink:

As far as I’m aware you would not need the CPC to drive to the test centre, I think your biggest obstacle as far as driving the vehicle is concerned could be insurance but that’s something you’d have to sort out with the hire company.

No you don’t. But it’s a poor plan, almost certainly set for disaster. eg you hire an 18ton truck with a 6 speed box - - you will be turned away. No test as it’s not conforming with the MTV requirements. Chances are you didn’t know that. And that’s just the start.

I strongly suggest you part with a relatively modest sum to do it properly. Seems a shame to take chances at this stage.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

tachograph:

drummerkev:

Sorry my mistake, and congratulations :wink:

As far as I’m aware you would not need the CPC to drive to the test centre, I think your biggest obstacle as far as driving the vehicle is concerned could be insurance but that’s something you’d have to sort out with the hire company.

Thank you! :smiley: :smiley: Im still over the moon! :smiley: :smiley:

Its something im going to have to mull over in honesty, Im just trying to save a few quid, but it maybe just as wise to take the hit on the money for less aggro and some form of training. As all the training company does is go through a few things and hour before you go for your test, from what i can gather…

Is it not like car hire where your insurance is also included?

Peter Smythe:

No you don’t. But it’s a poor plan, almost certainly set for disaster. eg you hire an 18ton truck with a 6 speed box - - you will be turned away. No test as it’s not conforming with the MTV requirements. Chances are you didn’t know that. And that’s just the start.

I strongly suggest you part with a relatively modest sum to do it properly. Seems a shame to take chances at this stage.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ah ■■■■ there is requirements more than just getting a truck! MTV i thought that was a music channel?!

Sod it ill think ill just part with the cash to ensure that i can sit the test and pass it!

As all the training company does is go through a few things and hour before you go for your test, from what i can gather…

… and if that’s the case, you’re still wasting your money!!

Do your research before you spend.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Do the Mod2 test on your own then contact the school where you passed the Cat C and explain that money is tight and ask kindly if you could listen in next time they run Mod4. Done properly the training should take around 2 hours. If you then ask them really nicely would they let their truck meet you at the test centre while its out on training and let you take the test.

It rarely takes more than 10-15 minutes to complete.

If they help you I’m sure you would consider them for C+E when the time comes !!!

I took a flyer and passed mod 4 2nd time round, both tests with no training other than research. Met my training provider at test station on a day he had another test both times. Suppose 1st failed attempt showed me what to do. :wink:. But in fairness it is at examiners disgression as he failed me on something I’d mentioned and pointed to/ checked. Pants I know but there you go. Learnt not to argue with them.

Would you not have done your driver CPC to pass your class 2?

No. But do need it to drive commercially. So need it to be able to work. Otherwise class 2 is useless to me/ others that don’t get grandad rights.

Does that make sense?

Reubs766:
Would you not have done your driver CPC to pass your class 2?

The LGV licence and the dcpc are two seperate issues

Many have the LGV licence but no need for dcpc - private horseboxes are one example

LGV training vehicles that are not used for commercial goods purposes are outside the dcpc and tacho regs

That’s what I meant.

Still a money govenment money making scheme.