Stupid Drivers

Happens to me everyday…

Think people have a big problem with Blue Mercs and yellow Trailers, especialy when its got Mr Betz’s name on the side…

If you think i’m having a laugh, you try driving one, you’d be surprised at how other ‘professional’ driver treat you with THAT name on the side!!!

Interesting to read about this trick as only last week (mon) I was going to Felixstowe on the A14 and getting near to Corby services I am on the 50mph limit minding my own business when (with 3 wagons behind me & 2 cars passing on the outside lane) this herbert in a 7.5tonne Iveco decides to come off the services at a great rate of mph and tries to beat me on to the A14 (he obviously was so intent on getting out a) he didn,t see the “give way line” on the services and b) as he was on his mobile he thought I would be moving over to the 2nd lane to let him out, I had no escape route and had I braked I would have likely had at least 1 artic in to the back of me so he ended up nearly in to the trees and kerb as I am looking for a way out (it,s called self preservation) and even I am certainly not going to take out 2 cars in the process when he could have got off scot free and I would be explaining to PC Plod and Badger Bill why I chose to “cause” an accident so as he passed me I looked over for his reaction and (I couldn,t believe it he was still on his mobile jabbering away!) and didn,t even look at me to see my reaction.
When something like this happens the first thing the papers print is "44tonne juggernaut causes serious / fatal accident and then we all get branded as “Hell Drivers” and in the majority of cases it is not the fault of the wagon driver but we all get tarred with the same brush.
Norrie

It’s just down to pure bad manners and pig-ignorance.

Nothing you can do about it unfortunately. :frowning:

Never happens to me…Professionals…Errrmmm.

Bikemonkey…be careful what u say about drivers being…THICK… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Unfortunatley this is becoming an all to common occurance. Some so-called professional drivers wouldnt know common courtesy if it jumped up and bit them where it hurts. I know most of us have got deadlines and timed deliveries but would an extra 10 seconds make that much differance. Talking of courtesy, have you noticed haw many drivers dont bother to flash you now when you`ve overtaken them.

Diddyman:
Talking of courtesy, have you noticed haw many drivers dont bother to flash you now when youve overtaken them.

I know the standards of driving are falling on a daily basis with truck drivers getting as bad as car drivers.

I have been driving for over 30 years and don’t use headlights to flash someone in. Thats what the mirrors are for.

In this litigious world, I am likely to get the blame for running up some ones arse when a truck cuts in too quick as he passes me at 000.01 kph more.

Of course I back off but you will get my drift

i agree, and yes there are some thickheads about, and i also get p`d off with other drivers flying down the slip road and expecting you to move over, but as in highway code, but you dont have to move, its the problem of the joining vehicle to adjust there speed, but as others i do it out of curtosy, and when they fly of up inside i just wonder, why do i bother,

and re- flashing, at my present company our trucks are frustratingly limited too 50mph(82kph) so i only flash when they seem too be struggling or bad weather conditions as some trucks dont have heated mirrors, but rest of time i dont as everyone flys past, or it would be the case of my boss asking how many bloomin bulbs are you using lol

Thanks for the replies lads as I thought I was the only one who noticed that a) drivers now either pull in when they are level with the front of your cab and nearly swipe your front off) or b) go for miles and don,t acknowledge you have flashed them in.
As I have been driving for over 30 odd years + maybe I am getting to old for all these antics of the can,t wait for a few seconds brigade who seem to think that speed limits are targets to be achieved or passed (illegally) and then complain bitterly about being caught speeding!
Take the A14 how many times do you see trucks going on the limiter @ 56MPH just to get there 5 minutes before you.
I am like wheel nut and can remember the 40MPH limit on the old A1 from Berwick right down to London even when it was dual carriageway for most of the way !
You will always have the “cowboys” as we did in the old days but there wasn,t this attitude of sod you I am getting there at all costs, as some drivers just can,t say “no” to the boss.
I remember one old boss (sadly now deceased) who always said “no load is so important that you have to break the law to get it there” and he also said he would rather a load got there 2 hrs late than end up in an accident and not get there at all!!! (common sense eh!)
How many tpt managers think that way nowadays!!!
Norrie

Similar happened to me last week, I am driving at a stady 50mph (the limit I understand for HGVs on a dual carriageway) south down the A1 after the A1(M) just off the M62, when I noticed in my near side mirror a car transporter trying to enter the side of my trailer, he is in the shorter acceleration slip road lane (you know the new ones where there is a shorter lane for cars and a longer ones for slower vehicles, e.g. trucks), now I can’t go anywhere as there is a stream of cars in the outside lane overtaking me. He realises he can’t barge in, but rather than lift off and tuck in behind, he then decides to cross over the solid lines/chevrons into the slower acceleration slip and contiue to barge in, obviously I realise he is has no regard for my health or wellbeing so i decide to let him go by slowing down and flash him in. He then continues to blast away from me 60mph+ and repeat the same exercise to the car drivers in the outside lane.

Another good advert for HGV driving skills - not.

Regarding flashing some-one in, I only flash when I’m happy for them to pull in, not as soon as their trailer passes the cab. If they’re struggling, I’ll let off a bit, but if they’re flying then there is often no point, as they mostly stay where they are anyway and keep going. A lot of the time, people don’t flash until they see you check your mirror anyway. I nearly always flash them in at night though, coz it’s hard to see your marker lights when there’s a set of headlights behind them.
As regards slip roads, too many drivers think they have the right of way coming on to the main road. It’s polite to pull into lane 2 and let them on, but it’s not a legal requirement. As far as I know, slip roads are still subject to give way from the right, and it’s up to them to adjust their speed to merge cleanly and without causing the existing traffic to slow down or take avoiding action.

smoker:
Regarding flashing some-one in, I only flash when I’m happy for them to pull in, not as soon as their trailer passes the cab. If they’re struggling, I’ll let off a bit, but if they’re flying then there is often no point, as they mostly stay where they are anyway and keep going. A lot of the time, people don’t flash until they see you check your mirror anyway. I nearly always flash them in at night though, coz it’s hard to see your marker lights when there’s a set of headlights behind them.
As regards slip roads, too many drivers think they have the right of way coming on to the main road. It’s polite to pull into lane 2 and let them on, but it’s not a legal requirement. As far as I know, slip roads are still subject to give way from the right, and it’s up to them to adjust their speed to merge cleanly and without causing the existing traffic to slow down or take avoiding action.

Exactly :bulb:

Some slip roads have equal priority, but these are signed with the appropiate trianglular sign (see highway code) otherwise one has to give way.

I too got so fed up with inconsiderate prats flying up the inside after I’ve had the courtesy to pull into lane 2 to allow them to join, only to be left stuck like a lemon while they accelerate of up lane 1 that I now do not pull out. I see them every day, they accelerate to ty and get up the inside, expecting you to move over, but when they realise that there’s no where to go the have to slow down. Then if necessary I’ll pull out as they are slow enough for me to get pass safely.

Most of these idiots could avoid this by actually looking at the traffic as they come along the slip road, and adjust their speed accordingly, not just hurtle down as fast as they can thinking they’ve got a god given right to barge into the flow of traffic at will.

The dual carriageway issue will soon be taken out of our hands - it won’t be long before blanket ‘no overtaking’ bans will be prevelant, as in most of Europe. Again we’ll have no one to blame but ourselves. The A14 is a classic, line after line of traffic sat behind two HGV’s battling it out with about 1kph between them. I set the limiter to 50mph - the legal limit, it’s so relaxing, and if you come up to a slightly slower truck, you have a little speed left to get past him quickly, safely and without inconveniencing other road users. And those that chose to ignore the speed limit can sail pass me again with little disruption.

Why there is this attitude amongst the majority (?) that they’ve got to get there yesterday, with no thought or regard for anyone else on the road is beyond me. Sure, there’s always been inconsiderate selfish drivers out there, but over the last 20 years they just seem to have grown from being the odd one to being the usual…