Struggling with theory revision

Greetings all,
Im having some real trouble with my theory revision, ive done the two direct.gov tests and failed,not by much but still. Ive got the book but thats just the questions with the answers and it doesn’t seem to be going in very well, has anyone got any ideas, is there some sort of revision book or something…

On another seperate note, does anyone know how long it is between booking your medical and actually taking it? have finally gone back to full time work (at least for this week) so i can afford to book it (i think) now.

Thanks

Ste

HI Stehinch , what theory parts exactly have you done ?

the dsa do a cd rom with mock tests on which I found very useful I done 1 a night until my test and it worked wonders. As for the medical it depends where you book it to how long you wait, check the drivers medicals thread. I had to wait about a week for mine and booked it with driversmedicals.com/

Harlow,thanks, thats who i was planning on booking with (about 50 pound i think isnt it), have to see what i get paid then give them a ring I suppose.
Bonnie lass, Im just starting Ive not done any of them yet, am planning on doing my theory (cpc1■■) CPCmod 2 or is that the other way around and hazard perception all together.

I think the cd rom cost £35 well worth it. hazard perception I think £9 ish (CD). medicals can have waiting lists of as long as 3-4 weeks plus , you could always phone up first to ask how soon they could do it or how long is their witing list - price is variable from place to place form D4 is needed :smiley:

Depends which provider you go with as mine done all even provider CD rom for theory & HPT from booking medical then sending my licence off providing all the forms ect so maybe worth having a look round

But you could look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23685

Hello Stehinch

We use an online theory training provider included with our courses. They can be found at drivingtheory4all.co.uk

Their product is really 1st class and provides every question from the DSA theory database. You can do unlimited mock exams where 100 random questions are created each time. You can also monitor which particular areas of the syllabus you are having problems with.

You can even register for a free trial although I don’t think this gives you access to every question but it gives a flavour of their training content.

They also provide training in the form of example case studies for the CPC Module 2.

Hope this helps.

Regards

John

Hi Stehinch

Sorry to hear you’re struggling with your revision for the theory test.

I don’t know if this will help you but it certainly helped me. Have you tried simplifying everything down by any chance? What I mean by this is that instead of tring to remember every line of question and every detail of the answer, you just simplify it by picking out the main/important words in the question and answer.

E.g:

Q. You are driving a vehcle on a motorway. A front tyre bursts. You should -

-loosen your grip on the steering wheel
-brake firmly to a stop
-hold the steering wheel firmly
-driv to the next service area

A. hold the steering wheel firmly

So if you highlight the necessary words, then it shortens the amount you have to store in your memory:

Q. You are driving a vehicle on a motorway. A front tyre bursts. You should -
A. hold the steering wheel firmly

Also, you can find in some of the answers that if you pick up on a main word in the appropriate answer, it might not feature in the other options for that question.

If you get really desperate you could try Derren Brown’s method where you open the book, don’t try to read any of the words and just run your eyes down each page. Apparantely your peripheral vision picks up on the words and stores it in your memory without you even knowing. Although I don’t put much faith in to this method myself.

Best of luck and hope you do well.

I was given some advice when doing my exams a long time ago that was alway read the question twice before you answer