Struggling To Get My Head Round The Working Time Regs

If your shift is up to 6 hours no break required.
If your shift is between 6 and 9 hours 30 mins required ( or two X 15 mins).
If your shift is over 9 hours 45 mins required (or three X 15, or 15 + 30)

You mustn’t exceed 6 hours at any point in your shift without 15 mins break.

Obviously take driving breaks when required and they will count for Rtd too.

If working a 15 hour shift you could take 15 mins at 5.59 hours and 30 mins at say 9.14 hours.
Hope that helps.

1968kg:
If your shift is up to 6 hours no break required.
If your shift is between 6 and 9 hours 30 mins required ( or two X 15 mins).
If your shift is over 9 hours 45 mins required (or three X 15, or 15 + 30)

You mustn’t exceed 6 hours at any point in your shift without 15 mins break.

Obviously take driving breaks when required and they will count for Rtd too.

If working a 15 hour shift you could take 15 mins at 5.59 hours and 30 mins at say 9.14 hours.
Hope that helps.

Shift length has nothing to do with it. It’s working time that counts. Legally, you can do a 15 hour shift and not need any breaks at all depending on how much driving or other work you’ve done.

I was assuming no POA to keep it simple.

Now I am confused if you have accumulated 45 mins before 9 hours and working a 15 hour day you don’t need a further break as you have taken enough breaks

■■■■■■00:
Now I am confused if you have accumulated 45 mins before 9 hours and working a 15 hour day you don’t need a further break as you have taken enough breaks

You could be doing 14 hours of work in a 15 hour shift and taking 45 mins at the 6 hour work point BUT that leaves 8 more hours of work without a break of at least 15 mins - the rule is max of 6 hours without a break with a break being at least 15 mins
Many seem to think that the 6 hour rule only applies to the first 6 hours but it applies to the whole shift

There is no requirement to have 30 mins of total break by the 9 hour work point where the work in a shift is over 9 hours