Struggling to get a test

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone else was having problems getting a test at the moment?
Got my C+E training this week after years of driving class 2, and I’ve been ringing the booking line for a test since last Tuesday and the earliest test they can give me at the 2 local test centres is Mid March!

Is it just round here or what?

You will sometimes find that schools that have a lot of candidates block book their tests and then change them around to suit the people ready to pass.

I am surprised you are saying that you are the one booking it. Normally the school will book it in line with the end of your course.

Good luck with your training and test.

Shocked though as I had it in my mind you were a seasoned Class 1 driver :blush:

Yes the school are trying, they did warn me last week when I booked that they didn’t have any tests available, they have said they’ll ring daily to check on my behalf, but I thought if I do as well I’m more likely to get a cancellation as it happens.

Alex

When did you book your training?

im surprised their even doing the training if they cant get you a test for 2 months

gogzy:
When did you book your training?

im surprised their even doing the training if they cant get you a test for 2 months

Yep normally book lesson with test added on at end

I cant see a company turning down peoples hard earned cash for training just because they cant book a test for a few months. It is quite sad though.

Best of luck hope you pass first time mate.

Booked the training last Thursday, purely because I have a week off this week and no time for a while after that, it had to be taken when I could fit it in. Was just really hoping for a cancellation or something like that to come up.

Where are you taking your test? As I spoke to a trainer in Lancing who is taking bookings for February.

Something’s not right here. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Scarab

I have come in a bit late on this thread but as Pete says something is not right here.

it is extremely unusual for a trainer to reserve a training seat without a test at the end. There are exceptions but very rare. The problem with you trying to book a test is that even if you did get one how can you be certain the trainer has a seat available that day ?

One flaw with the trainer booking system is that training companies can sell back the test to the DSA just 3 clear days before the test. As most trainers are booked longer than this period ahead the late cancellation tests often go unfilled.

1 option is to try alternative test centres but this is not always desirable especially if you feel comfortable in a certain location.

My advice if this problem is still not sorted is to contact your trainer and get clear concise directions of what exactly is happening. Also , probably best to leave them to sort the training and test date out. There are many factors involved in getting everything right.

Good luck anyway

Hi scarab
Got the exact same problem.
Failed my test on reversing , now having to wait 5 weeks for a retest.
Bit of a bugger, as I am worried that my driving will go to c""p waiting that long.
My only other option is to go to a provider that has a bigger fleet, but chances are they will want me to through their traing again. Can’t afford a new trainer, can’t afford to fail.
Best of luck
Rossco

Bit of a bugger, as I am worried that my driving will go to c""p waiting that long.
My only other option is to go to a provider that has a bigger fleet, but chances are they will want me to through their traing again. Can’t afford a new trainer, can’t afford to fail.
Best of luck
Rossco

This is a problem that is as old as the HGV driving test. The test system runs 10 weeks ahead, so 5 weeks (in that sense) isn’t too bad. But it’s little comfort to you and most trainers would try and shorten the time - as far as possible.

You may find that a change of trainer may be beneficial and it’s doubtfull if any reputable trainer would expect you to go through their training as you guess. That is, of course, assuming that you are currently with a good trainer.

It may be worth having an assessment or two but deep down, you’re probably best off staying where you are unless it’s desperately urgent or you’re not happy with your current trainer.

5 weeks seems an eternity but it will come round maybe quicker than you expect.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

R0ssc0:
Hi scarab
Best of luck
Rossco

Hi Rossco,

Don’t worry too much about the 5 weeks delay :slight_smile: I had to wait three weeks, couldn’t do any driving until the drive up to the test centre, had a great drive and passed with one minor (after my first test with many many ticks in the wrong boxes :blush: ).

I think the time away allowed everything to “sink in” and my second test was me driving far more “naturally”.

Good luck and 5 weeks will fly by, honest :smiley:

Ratty

Scarab:
Hi All,

Got my C+E training this week after years of driving class 2

Good god! Years of moaning from you, and all that time you’ve being driving puddle jumpers!

:open_mouth: :wink: