Struggling to find work and the perm job I accepted is trash

Hi guys

I really need advice because I’m really struggling with confidences and self esteem at the moment.

I passed my class 2 in June and Left my office job 3 weeks ago since then I have struggled finding stable work,

I did 2and half days in a class 2 for a logistics firm and I also had driving assessment and they told me to do some 7.5 tonne work for a bit to gain some experience.

So I have been booked in to do 7.5 tonne work On the last 2 weeks and I have had shifts cancelled after doing 1 day here and their and I’ve only worked 5 days in the last 3 weeks,

Place I worked at last week started at 5am with a drivers mate, then i didn’t get back home till 19.35 that night at the time I didn’t realise I was only getting paid till 16.15 the time I should have finished and I have since had it confirmed I was never going to be paid overtime. And because I complained to the agency about it they blackballed me.

Anyways fast forward to now after this jobs being led a miss and having shifts cancelled I’m struggling to find work ( last I heard their was major driver shortage going on)

I accepted a job yesterday morning on a perm basis driving 7.5 tonne trucks I have since had it confirmed this morning that I will now be driving a 3.5 tonne van and the rare occasion a 7.5 the manager explained to me that “if you think your coming here to just drive thing again, it will be 25% driving and 75% warehouse ( at this this point I was dumbfounded) I said to him “so really it’s not a driving job then is it and I don’t really need my class 2 or c1 do I ■■ He just said “no not really” I said to him “ the job advert said 7.5 tonne delivery driver not warehouse operative” he just made some gibberish and said see you a week on Monday

I’m sorry but I don’t know what to do should I ■■■■ it up and just do it or give it a miss,

In regards to class 2 most companies won’t touch me with 10 foot boot because I don’t have any experience yet can’t help but feel angry about this how am I suppose to gain
Experience if I can’t get my foot in the door fed up of hearing “ sorry we need 2 years experience”

Can any help me understand where I’m going wrong all I want to do is drive and deliver not warehouse ■■■■■

What area of UK are you :question:

ROG:
What area of UK are you :question:

I’m from the West Midlands

Are you telling us the whole story here? I get the feeling from reading between the lines above that there may have been some incidents/accidents/other ‘issues’ that you haven’t furnished us with.

It’s not uncommon for new pass Class 2’s to get the 7.5T driving jobs when you’re with an agency - speaking from my own experience

Sounds like had a bit of a crap time, but the jobs are there try DHL, definitely take on new passes, the pallet networks eg palletline, palletways whoever covers areas around you, will likely give you a chance

Class 2 work does tend to be fast and furious. Lots of multi-drop delivery work hammering around trying to get everything done in time.

You say you worked for a couple of days then had a driving assessment. Why did they decide to give you an assessment after two days and why did they suggest doing 7.5ton work?

Have you driven large vehicles before you passed your class 2 (maybe vans, minibus, motorhome, towing a caravan?)

A lot of class 2 work (especially pallet networks) is ‘salaried’ which is code for you’ll be working for near minimum wage with the promise of early finishes which somehow never happen and you’ll never get overtime no matter what time you finish.

As for the job working in a warehouse, I’d say thank you for the offer but no thanks, I was led to believe it was something else.

There’s hundreds of firms out there. Don’t let the first few weeks drag you down.

Elliott Baxter in Aston on the Hub industrial estate right near Aston Villa’s football ground are looking for a class 2 drivers pop down their and speak to the warehouse manager they take on new drivers

Where abouts in the West Midlands are you?

You need to be selective and only take on the best jobs with the best employers. There’s plenty of bad jobs that need to be avoided at all costs, even for experienced drivers.

Take a look on indeed. Search for “HGV CLASS 2” within 25 miles of “BIRMINGHAM” and click the sort by “date” button. This will list the newest job adverts first.

uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=hgv+class+ … &sort=date

There’s plenty of employers taking on new passes. The good ones will send you out with an experienced driver for the first week.

I recently passed my Class 2 and 1 week later I managed 4 interviews and had to make a choice of what to do, I think a well written CV goes a long way and come across as confident and with a can-do attitude. I start my new job full time perm next week so time will tell for me!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Build5:
Class 2 work does tend to be fast and furious. Lots of multi-drop delivery work hammering around trying to get everything done in time.

You say you worked for a couple of days then had a driving assessment. Why did they decide to give you an assessment after two days and why did they suggest doing 7.5ton work?

Have you driven large vehicles before you passed your class 2 (maybe vans, minibus, motorhome, towing a caravan?)

A lot of class 2 work (especially pallet networks) is ‘salaried’ which is code for you’ll be working for near minimum wage with the promise of early finishes which somehow never happen and you’ll never get overtime no matter what time you finish.

As for the job working in a warehouse, I’d say thank you for the offer but no thanks, I was led to believe it was something else.

There’s hundreds of firms out there. Don’t let the first few weeks drag you down.

I wasn’t on the companies Insurance till the Wednesday so that’s when they decided to do a driving an assessment and nerves got the best of me going from a car to a 26 tonne truck did make me jittery but I would have been fine if I drove it solid for a few hours.

It was gutting as I liked the job I just sat in the cab for 2 days and then assessor recommend I do 7.5 tonne work to gain some experience and confidence

Hi here are a few firms that take on new passes.

Hermes

PGS global logistics garrets Green

Mobile logistics in Castle vale

DHL

Most post and parcel companies are desperate for drivers during busy periods.

You can also try tuffnells or panic transport