Struggling to find any work espeicially agencies

hi all
passed my class 2 in november but only just done my cpc - went out this week to all the agencies i know around here and pretty much every one said no! no experience dont even bother signing up with us :frowning: i then went to driver direct where i live and they told me you wont find anything with us but im better off going direct to big haulage companies. before i started out i was of the belief that the agencies are the only place that actually would take you on. anyone else experienced this ? i have contacted driver hire who have told me they will take new drivers on ? i went direct to a trucking firm in the town i live and they are the only ones who have shown a glimpse of interest by giving me an application form! so who is right am i better going direct to trucking firms or plod on trying to get on with agency ?

oh well i will definitely not give up im gonna go knocking at every trucking company around here lol. i go on holiday next week so gonna hit it hard when i get back.

Where about’s are you mate? (As that will help people! :wink:)

Plus I think you will be better off posting in the main forum so the experienced drivers who are in the know of which firms are looking for staff can help you!

Best of luck! :smiley:

that’s very strange, mate

i have enjoyed a year of working for different agencies knocking with 0 experience and was relatively busy…

i’d say google all agencies within 100 miles and phone them. you don’t have to travel 100 miles to work, just the agency office might be a bit far while the actual work can be close enough

yeh i found that out the other day. i had driver hire call me from batley which is an hour away from me asking me to come sign up. i thought about it and though whats the point if i sign up with them and i have any issues im gonna have to go to batley all the time. turns out i wouldnt have to go in at all after initial sign up. so gonna go see them when i back off my hols

Evil8Beezle:
Where about’s are you mate? (As that will help people! :wink:)

Plus I think you will be better off posting in the main forum so the experienced drivers who are in the know of which firms are looking for staff can help you!

Best of luck! :smiley:

live in doncaster mate

Priest:
that’s very strange, mate

i have enjoyed a year of working for different agencies knocking with 0 experience and was relatively busy…

i’d say google all agencies within 100 miles and phone them. you don’t have to travel 100 miles to work, just the agency office might be a bit far while the actual work can be close enough

well that was my plan i thought agency was the way to go as i would get use of lots of different vehicles. but from my trip around them all friday it seemed a pointless venture. plenty more around though ill go through em all til i get something haha

yeah, keep searching. I don’t know which agencies you have spoken to. It might that they do not have a lot of clients and those they have have a 2 year clause on their insurance. I am sure there are agencies that will take you on

Priest:
yeah, keep searching. I don’t know which agencies you have spoken to. It might that they do not have a lot of clients and those they have have a 2 year clause on their insurance. I am sure there are agencies that will take you on

yeah that was the main reason the 2 year thing. i havnt let it dishearted me though ill keep going til i find something, i guess i just expected agencies throwing work at me :laughing: :laughing: same with any skill/trade u got to get experience before people want to know just got to find that one thing to start from

Call Adina’s in Mansfield. They are normally looking for drivers for Sports Direct. Often double man shifts so likely 20hrs+ per shift but money seems ok.

Sports Direct is just of M1 junc 29 so only a few minutes for you.

Tell them I sent you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It’s hard when you’re starting out (I know - been 6 months) but personally I’d look towards the smaller non-national companies as well since they seem a bit more sympathetic towards the problem of zero experience. I guess as well as knowing your location, it’d be handy to know how far you can travel for work?

If you can come down the A1 as far as Newark, there’s quite a few companies there plus I’m pretty sure Mitchells in Mansfield take on quite often. There’s also Taylors at Sutton near Mansfield who I believe take new starters. Finally look for anyone running Palletline as they might be willing.

Just keep going at it and if you’ve got any driving experience outside of trucks, make sure they know!

Have you tried getting a haircut, wash and shave?

Generally helps am told :laughing:

Have a look on the DVSA website under the applications and decisions pages, it list one man band owner drivers to large firms with the addreses then Google their phone number.
Summer time means full time staff take holidays so they will need covering .
Arrange a meeting with the TM at a quiet time ,not when busy getting loads in and out morning and late afternoon .
Sending Cv’s is a waste of time,nobody replied to mine.
Drive to them in the car with the Ppe in the car to start Asap.
Don’t bother ringing for jobs.

hi Rob,

I used to work for this company (ecoplas.co.uk/work-for-us/index.php) as forklift driver. The company is based near Selby, YO8 7EG, and quite often some LGV driver position comes up: the reason is because their hourly pay is not good (if I remember it was 8,50-8,75 p/h before I left in December 2015) and drivers go for a better job.

I am now studying for the theory test, cpc, training, etcetera, but I will probably call them after I will have my license.

I had colleagues coming from Doncaster (also a supervisor and an engineer) and is not so far indeed. There are 2 different lgv drivers: 3-4 are driving all around UK collecting materials and sleeping 4 nights (so it is a Mon-Fri job), their payslip was interesting and 1-2 drvers going up and down customers delivering final product (also a Mon-Fri job + some saturday and occasinally, when very busy, some sunday. No idea if the payslip was good as for the other drivers).

Logistic manager is a nice chap (over 30 years experience), owner is a tough guy but drivers do not talk to him very often.

Good luck for anything you could find

In case, let me know :slight_smile: