Stretching a unit to make a plant lorry

My old iveco I use for moving my old junk to steam rallys, it is getting a bit worn out (ok its had it day) so I am looking for a replacement,
My wish list is a big sleeper cab, 340 bhp+, 8+ gears, a low plant body, a lift axle and hydraulic ramps.

my plan is to buy a unit 6x2 unit I was thinking maybe a renault premium and stretch it, then put the body and wheels of the iveco on to it.
has any one got any idea what the cost of stretching a unit is?
or do any plant lorrys come up for sale with this spec and what sort of cost for something W reg to 05.

Idid a Renault Premium tractor unit to rigid a few years it was only a six wheel 28 foot flat bed the mid axle was moved from mid lift to tag and the cost was £10000 all in

I was thinking of leaving the lift axle in the middle so not to make the tail swing too long.

What’s wrong with the Iveco, or are you just keen for a new toy?

To my mind doesn’t ever really seem to stack up unless you have plenty of free time and do it yourself or need some configuration that’s just not on the used market.

Own Account Driver:
What’s wrong with the Iveco, or are you just keen for a new toy?

To my mind doesn’t ever really seem to stack up unless you have plenty of free time and do it yourself or need some configuration that’s just not on the used market.

the cab is rotten, the gear box has lost half of the synchromeshs and the engine is not in the best of health but the body is very good my theory is that I can spend a lot of time and money on the iveco and it will still be a N reg iveco or spend bit more money on a newer chassis cab and it will be just what I want in a lorry for my steam engine.

Put this number in E-bay. It comes to an origional build FH12 to take a 30 foot body. It may be a bit dear-but the work’s been done.

Try ringing Alan Smith Commercials Marden Kent 01622 832203

Ring Simon at Plant hire UK Haydock think he,s got 03 Scania 340 6x2 ridgid coming up for sale :wink:

I think it would be worth it only if you already know or own the unit. We had a bulletproof old FH done a few years ago that had been a cracker and earned it’s corn already so at least we already knew the wagons history and it was worth doing when we needed another rigid and were due to replace a unit :wink:

F. Swain & Sons from Poynton converted about 3 old tractor units to 6x2 rigids with curtainsider bodies, basically made them 400+ BHp rigids

don’t know the cost of getting them done though

The guy I did my class 2 training with buys tractor units and has them stretched to fit the box bodies he has. I think he said he paid 4 grand each to have them done.

It’s quite commonly done for plant wagons. I had a 6x2 Scania 420 which went like a rocket, it was well done although it suffered from the EBS system keeping tripping out. It took a long while to get it right and I wonder if the problem was some way connected to the conversion.

Unless every wire that is cut for the stretch is replaced, then you end up with a load of extra joints that increase the possibility of failure in some way.

Scania twin steer units often get done and a tag axle added to create an 8x2, unless the twin steer is moved forwards then it’ll be horrendous to drive as the turning circle ends up about the size of the M25. One of our customers has one and they asked me to try it when I went there one day, the end axle moved but seemed to counter the steering input if anything. Got in my factory built 8x2 full lock on with tag down and it cut round in about half the space.

Try

inter-uk.com

I’ve had them stretch about a dozen tractors stretched to run at 23/26t as rigids. Nowadays I think Scanias are easiest due to electronics etc but Tony the MD is a good man to speak to

I left the 44t Scania 420 power ratings as standard, fuel economy was very good cos they’re not working very hard at the lower weights, driver drops into top gear and away it goes !

you might be better with a low height unit to put your body on, as you are running 8 stud 19.5 inch wheels at the back by the look of it.