Stressed to boring/routine in blink of an eye

I thought I might write this post first for “feedback” and to give nubes still hoping to pass their tests an insight. :wink: :laughing:

Some people on here maybe aware that I’m a qualified ADI, now thats not me trying to boast it’s just my background. I am still very much a rookie at this “commercial” driving malarky.

After you pass your test the driving bit, don’t ever forget the hard bit DELIVERY. Remember also providing you don’t hit anything all the companys are interested in is the DELIVERY. If you speed, drive like a nut case they won’t care or if you break WTD, these things only affect you legally. What is important is the DELIVERY.

When I got my HGV licence having no experience it was off to the agencies, it took 3 months to get some work as I had no “commercial” experience. My first job was a van job delivering fruit and veg. LWB merc Sprinter, 30 drops and not knowing one variety of tomato from another. Anyway nightmare, not because I couldn’t find where I was going, S7000 pro nav seen to that. No it was crappy address info and wrong post codes, finding the “backdoor” three streets around. And sorting fruit and veg by hand because the van had been loaded by our “immigrant” friends. :laughing: Honest THIS WAS HELL.

The second day was easier because I was doing mostly the same drops with a few new ones thrown in. In this job knowing the drops is 9/10ths the law if you want an easy life.

My next job class 2, I was with the same company for 5 months, all over Scotland same drops and miles to “CALM” down between any difficult drops. :laughing: I really enjoyed it and knew my way about “the job”. Now since the new AWR this has “dried” up my personal feeling are that the agency is spreading the “love” around. :wink:

I have had two class 1 gigs motorway trailer swaps, didn’t even have to reverse, very easy. Don’t get me wrong I won’t take and do not feel I have had enough experience to take on a magical mystery multidrop tour in a class 1 vehicle TOO STRESSFUL.

That brings me to the subject of the post this last two weeks, I’ve been getting lots of class 2 work but a different company every other day. So basically the same deal as the van driving don’t know the drops. Wrong postcodes, wrong phone numbers, two companies changed name but still get billed with the old name. A stressful nightmare to find the “way in”. So the next day you know the drops piece of ■■■■ now isn’t it. :unamused: :laughing:

I got speaking to the driver of another company who delivers to the same types of places. Long story short he agreed that he could not cope starting “anew” everyday. He’s had the same drops and routine for 4 years, piece of ■■■■ where his words.

Now to my point I don’t think I can keep this “new to these multidrops” up much longer it is like starting anew everyday and far to stressful for £7:50 ph. Looks like the only solution will be to find a job with a regular run or runs, then I can listen to the radio instead of the bloody sat nav. :cry:

Awww hun I feel ya pain I do agency and always hate that unfamiliar run so much less to think about when u know what Ur doing ! sometimes I think what am I doing putting myself through this but really I know the answer I love driving a lorry and when I’m doing that run that I know like the back of my hand that’s the enjoyable part and its happening a lot more now so keep at it u know u love it really

all the best

Jen x

oH lol Redlorry I feel your pain but ya not to blame :smiley: yep i know that feeling only to well mate Ive been doing a supermarket job for two days now yesterday was a knightmare finding the back door :angry: if they had one or parking at the front and wheeling the cages 1/4 of a mile because of traffic lights right out side the drop …having to lock the back every time i took a cage out and in to the shop … … shops in a presinct nearest parking 200 yrds away what a ball ache picking up twice as many empty cages as i dropped full ones because the driver the day before didnt pick em up grr (stress) but today was better same route and like you a couple of extra drops thrown in for good luck … :open_mouth: … then had to shunt forward a bit because some :angry: idiot parked behind mi tail lift while I was taking a cage in the shop and I caught a fence post grrrrrr :angry: then 2 shops would’nt have the cages in the shop and wanted the stock stacking near its corrasponding shelves ( I was tempted to ask if they wanted me to price it all up aswell :angry: ) GRRRR and i shaved an hour of yesterdays time yippee :smiley: But im on again tomorrow at 05.30am i just hope its the same route …ive been lucky I think as the addresses and post codes have been right with this company and thats unusual … some of the others i have carried for have been miles out …yesterday was funny at one point as i got back to depot by 12pm and thought when I unloaded the empties that I had finnished :unamused: no wishfull thinking as I was given another run only one drop but full truck 30 cages all for the same shop but loading bay was up a ramp and not one of the shop assistants came out , ohh no no each cage had to be pushed up the ramp by me and then once it was on the flat in the stock room they would make an effort and help me push it in to the shop … GRRR …
Ah well It is better than The JJB sports job I had the other week lol once was enough on that one all handballing no cages no trollies and all in shopping centers … and same amount of drops but unrealistic miles to cover in the time allowed … :unamused: Roll on sunday Day off …nice lie in bed mmmmm zzzz
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve got 6 months solid class 2 under my belt, but when the agency call for class 2, I don’t ask the details for fear of upsetting. The only thing I’ve turned down is van work and 7.5 tonne (because the money was really ■■■■■■■

What I’m beginning to think is if I don’t ask whats involved I will always get the crap they can’t get anyone else to take. This getting a “new run” every other day is beginning to stress and I almost dread the phone ringing. I want to ask details and then make my mind up if the jobs for me but don’t feel in a position to “negotiate”. I’ve really been relying on one agency who kept me fully employed for 5 months and feel “loyal” :blush: probably not the right idea with agency work. :laughing:

hi redrorry im from glasgow aswell i passed my test last week class2 , and i cant get agency to even register me so im nearly greetin

craigiej:
hi redrorry im from glasgow aswell i passed my test last week class2 , and i cant get agency to even register me so im nearly greetin

There have been many posts on here re: how hard it is to get work after passing. But recently the trend seems to be changing for the better.

A lot depends on your location. I imagine that Scotland has comparatively less work than the Midlands.

Keep persevering and don’t give up. Be prepared for knock backs. There will be that one company that will give you the chance.

Try Driver Hire. They have given me many assignments and kept me in work for at least 3 days a week.

Good luck

craigiej:

They won’t if the inks not dry on your licence, It took me three months to even get that van gig and I’m a qualifed driving instructor. What that means is I’m a very conscientious driver who has advanced driver training and held class B (car) licence for 24 years. Once your licence gets a few months old they will give you a van run and run you off your feet to see if your a “grafter”. :wink:

My problem is not the graft, I’m not work shy in fact finacially tax credits would make any shortfall up as I have a kids. I’m earning the heady heights of £7.50 ph I used to make £12-15 ph. I’m doing this to get experience. My neighbour earns £12.00 per hr driving class 1.

I’m just finding there is no way I can cope with a new company and a new set of runs every day, time for a major rethink. Any delivery delay is put down to ineptitude on your part even if nothing is said, yes I probably need to grow a thicker skin but thats not easy. Anyway why was everything so much easier when I had the same more “perminent” placement. :question: :unamused: :laughing:

This story is a very good example of an agency that either has no idea what they’re doing or most likely simply don’t care. I would try speaking to them, calmly, explaining how changing your multi-drop assignments on a daily basis is counter productive for their client and therefore them and not least of all you. The purpose of the exercise is to make money and that’s best achieved if you can keep the customer satisfied!

P.S. Try to speak to the engineer rather than the oily rag!

dar1976:

craigiej:

Try Driver Hire. They have given me many assignments and kept me in work for at least 3 days a week.

Good luck

dar1976 how are you managing with different “assignments” and doing new runs where you don’t know the drops. Also have any of the companies put you under delivery pressure, "like our usual driver knows it’s down the little lane off the high street not actually the “high street” like the postcode/address says. Add this example for most of the drops you get the picture.

I was at one drop where I was looking for unit 2 and unit 3 told me I was at the address and industrial estate and they had not heard of the “company”. Turns out it rents a basement/office from another firm. This seem to be the usual ■■■■■■■■.

Strange. Where I edited my typo … It double posted

To be honest I just get on with it, stay calm and deal with any issues that arise. I have been under pressure for keeping within my hours quite a lot but I just use good geographical knowledge with backup from a satnav and take each drop as they come.

Never really had a problem with new assignments as quite often my agency boss will ask what the general outline of the day will be so I am already planning it in my head before I get there.

I do understand where you are coming from and am trying to not make this post sound derogatory. I just don’t really take issue with new runs. Must be just used to it now I guess.

I do multidrop, 3.5T van not a lorry though so its a bit easier to move around. TBH, if I had to go to the same old drops week in, week out I would be SO bored. Every day Im in a different county to the day before and going to new addresses. Nineteen drops today, all brand new to me. I get some that are a pain to find but I find them in the end

I guess I must have been very lucky. I got a 7.5t long distance run for my first assignment with 20 minutes notice. From then on it has been Class 2 with the odd 7.5t run. And that was all within a week of signing up.

I must be ‘special’ lol

dar1976:
To be honest I just get on with it, stay calm and deal with any issues that arise. I have been under pressure for keeping within my hours quite a lot but I just use good geographical knowledge with backup from a satnav and take each drop as they come.

Never really had a problem with new assignments as quite often my agency boss will ask what the general outline of the day will be so I am already planning it in my head before I get there.

I do understand where you are coming from and am trying to not make this post sound derogatory. I just don’t really take issue with new runs. Must be just used to it now I guess.

No not derogatory at all, I was working for a national logistics company for a high street chain. Brand new trucks good kit. Proper HGV delivery bays and running drops all around Scotland eg 2x shop Glasgow - 2x shop Edinburgh - 1 x shop Perth - 1 x shop Dundee - 2 x Shop Aberdeen.

The recent stuff was more like van work and taking a class 2 into some hairy tight ■■■ places providing you could find them before you got stuck up some dead end. Driver hours were only 4/5 hours the rest of the 8/9 hrs were hand ball and when I was doing these jobs it felt like the van work only in a very big van. Primary schools were fun as well. :unamused: :laughing:

Thanks for the feedback thats why I post, as I said I’m really an ADI masquerading as a truck driver :wink: :laughing:. Looks like I’m find out what the ■■■■ end of class 2 is like, ■■■■ knows what the ■■■■ end of class 1 would be like. I know I’m never even going to try and find out. :laughing:

At least now I know I’m being feed crap by the agency, I think the fact that all the trucks had paper tachos should have told me what I needed to know :laughing:

Redrorry:
I thought I might write this post first for “feedback” and to give nubes still hoping to pass their tests an insight. :wink: :laughing:

Some people on here maybe aware that I’m a qualified ADI, now thats not me trying to boast it’s just my background. I am still very much a rookie at this “commercial” driving malarky.

After you pass your test the driving bit, don’t ever forget the hard bit DELIVERY. Remember also providing you don’t hit anything all the companys are interested in is the DELIVERY. If you speed, drive like a nut case they won’t care or if you break WTD, these things only affect you legally. What is important is the DELIVERY.

When I got my HGV licence having no experience it was off to the agencies, it took 3 months to get some work as I had no “commercial” experience. My first job was a van job delivering fruit and veg. LWB merc Sprinter, 30 drops and not knowing one variety of tomato from another. Anyway nightmare, not because I couldn’t find where I was going, S7000 pro nav seen to that. No it was crappy address info and wrong post codes, finding the “backdoor” three streets around. And sorting fruit and veg by hand because the van had been loaded by our “immigrant” friends. :laughing: Honest THIS WAS HELL.

The second day was easier because I was doing mostly the same drops with a few new ones thrown in. In this job knowing the drops is 9/10ths the law if you want an easy life.

My next job class 2, I was with the same company for 5 months, all over Scotland same drops and miles to “CALM” down between any difficult drops. :laughing: I really enjoyed it and knew my way about “the job”. Now since the new AWR this has “dried” up my personal feeling are that the agency is spreading the “love” around. :wink:

I have had two class 1 gigs motorway trailer swaps, didn’t even have to reverse, very easy. Don’t get me wrong I won’t take and do not feel I have had enough experience to take on a magical mystery multidrop tour in a class 1 vehicle TOO STRESSFUL.

That brings me to the subject of the post this last two weeks, I’ve been getting lots of class 2 work but a different company every other day. So basically the same deal as the van driving don’t know the drops. Wrong postcodes, wrong phone numbers, two companies changed name but still get billed with the old name. A stressful nightmare to find the “way in”. So the next day you know the drops piece of ■■■■ now isn’t it. :unamused: :laughing:

I got speaking to the driver of another company who delivers to the same types of places. Long story short he agreed that he could not cope starting “anew” everyday. He’s had the same drops and routine for 4 years, piece of ■■■■ where his words.

Now to my point I don’t think I can keep this “new to these multidrops” up much longer it is like starting anew everyday and far to stressful for £7:50 ph. Looks like the only solution will be to find a job with a regular run or runs, then I can listen to the radio instead of the bloody sat nav. :cry:

It is even more stressful doing HIAB work finding the address is one thing (and believe me i have had some corkers !! with the wrong postcodes,misspelled roads or streets and wrong foreman contact numbers) finding the works entrance to building sites is another ball game entirely, reversing 3-400 yards across wasteland with super tight entrances on narrow “green lanes”, (“just clip the wall / heras fencing mate everyone else does to get in” :open_mouth: :unamused: ) 7-10 inches deep in mud, dodging moving 360’s , dumpers, builders walking past not paying attention because they have invincible Hi - vis vests and plastic hats on, banksman always on their break ! :unamused: And yes we got different sites everyday, i always got somewhere near park up and have a good look around speak to any relevant people to get the low down on the drop, yeah it eats your time up, but in that game its very dicey just to wing - it and hope for the best. we always carried a-z for every area we delivered to,to find remote reservoirs and water treatment works in the sticks you can’t rely on sat-nav’s at all.

Where agencies are concerned the cream work ( if they have any of course !! ) will always go to the blue eyed boys/regulars.

The best I can say redlorry is set your Rules out now mate . :wink: . or it wont get any better My first agency job was for a Bed company . 2 man made up with a company driver , 15 drops . was given 15mins a drop and had to cart bed and other stuff up stairs then put them together where the customer wanted them …some had 3 items .all neaded fitting together . company man was moaning that he had to drive use hand held Pc he was on a salery and I was on Hourly rate and when i said well I will drive that leaves you free to use the Pc and Phone customers :open_mouth: He said oh cant do that we have been told only use you to drive if we run out of Hrs … so i asked about Break lol he said we put tacho on break at the delivery while we do the fitting :angry: … it was a 12 hr none stop day … when I got Home I was streight on the Phone to the Agent asking him if that was the best he could do …as i not a van lad …or a bedroom fitter …he said he didnt know about all the company rules …and said sorry wont send you there again … and never has but im still with the same agent and only get driving work now some good some bad … after talking to other drivers it seems they give all newbies that job first and thats why they advertise every week for new drivers on that particular job …Ive since seen it advertised with another agent so id say they ran out of mugs that would do it .
But what im saying is if you say nothing they wont know how stressed its making you and if they dont give you anymore work then so be it ( their loss not yours ) :wink: …Im now with 5 agents and have told each one what I will do and what i dont wanna do at the interviews . I now get class 2 work only with them and only passed in july but was regesterd]ed on 7.5 ton work from april …till july …hope that helps …and always ask what the job is telling them you want to plan your day in advance :smiley:

Like Road runner says Its even worse with Hiab Jobs … finding the address then cars parked where they want you to unload :angry: and I want it right at side of the concrete mixer over that 8 ft high fence grrr … but the good thing is not a lot of hand balling realy just some tight spots and people who think that the Hiab can perform miricals … :smiley: placing stuff 100 yrs from the truck lol

As I said I’m not frightened from a graft, and keep the head planning as best I can. I think I get ■■■■■■ at the fact that I feel I’m expected to perform as good as the “usual” guy who knows the job. The TM of one firms before I started said it was “job on finish 14.00” which I knew was “giddy/hurry” up crap because I’m by the hr agency. Got back for 15:00 and given the experience I learned, different company name on premises, wrong postcode, wrong unit number. Yes I could have shaved off the hr.

I’m just going to have to do as best I can and not get hung up on fact that not knowing the drops beforehand is going to cost time. Thicker skin needs growing, especially if I’m going to get that HIAB license in the new year. :laughing:

Anyone got experience of what to do when your getting the giddy up treatment while working your arse off, I’ve been my own boos for 10 years so not used to it. :angry: :smiley:

Work at your own pace never let anyone gee you up, its your license and that truck and load is your responsibility , they will push you to see how far they can go especially with the newbies. :wink:

The reason your getting the giddy up treatment is as you say your payed by the Hr … A lot of copanies now have drivers on salary and the place I have just been at for three days have a performance bonus .
But also like you say you’r self You are not the usual guy and cant realy be expected to do the job as fast as he does … I started thursday unknown route all shops same route on friday and i shaved 1 hr off my time with 2 extra drops and today I was home by 12.30pm even though I had messed up on my last 2 drops cage went over mixed stock up :blush:( faulty wheel on cage ) but these things happen … was told at last drop normal driver is here by 9.30am normaly :open_mouth: looked at my watch was 10 .15 am so i just said yep thats the normal driver … who doesnt pick all the empties up does he … as i found out on first day when i took double the amount of empty cages and baskets back as i took out full ones . hes on task and finnish so he gets full money even if it only takes him 3 hrs to do the route . … :smiley: .
But dont let the agent give you all the crap job that no one else will do … or you wont get a chance at the good jobs ( lol if there are any ) …

a word from the wise mate having worked on agencys for quite a while … dont stress yourself your not exactly getting paid as much as the company drivers , so why bother caring or stressing that you cant make it to ya drops when expected. Just take ya time and remember take your breaks at your leisure after all the more hours you put in the more you get paid. Working only 3 days a week wont go far to pay ya household bills. Dont be a numpty and run your self ragged …afterall your only a fill in driver. Always remember " Your helping the company out just by being their".
agency work is and always will be sporadic . sign up with as many as you can , and let them know that your working for other agencys … try to play them off against each other.
for example one will ring me up and offer me a few days work doing multi drop in a poxy van i’d just blag em and say another agencys offered me a weeks class 2 work and wait and see what they say.
theyll soon ring ya back offering you some class 2 work. Dont take any crap work off em otherwise thats all you will be getting . another tip if ya stuck on an asignment you hate, make ya self heard . dont suffer in silence , tell the agency what you want and what you wont accept of em.
all companys tend to push newbies and throw loads of crap at ya or try to make you run bent saying " their regular drivers would do it", dont risk your licence for anything - consider all the time and money you have invested in getting it.