Stressed about finding way around

I’m not actually a new driver and have been driving for a few years but I’m not starting a job which is basically tramping around the UK. So, in terms of this kind of Class 1 work, I’m new. It’s stressing me out at the moment. Should I buy myself a Tomtom or just buy myself a good set of maps? What maps are good? I’ve never had to buy before and also, which model of Tomtom? I don’t have that much money at the moment so I wouldn’t want to purchase a sat-nav costing hundreds of pounds. Thanks for any replies.

Ader1:
I’m not actually a new driver and have been driving for a few years but I’m not starting a job which is basically tramping around the UK. So, in terms of this kind of Class 1 work, I’m new. It’s stressing me out at the moment. Should I buy myself a Tomtom or just buy myself a good set of maps? What maps are good? I’ve never had to buy before and also, which model of Tomtom? I don’t have that much money at the moment so I wouldn’t want to purchase a sat-nav costing hundreds of pounds. Thanks for any replies.

Bazdub has one for sale…on here, perhaps a deal to be made ?

I think both would be your best bet you can plan your routs with the old fashioned map and then as your going along the sat-nav can keep you going in the right way half of the time but don’t take my word for it im a newbee my self

don’t panic, that’s half the fun of tramping, going places you,ve never been to before, you will soon be doing it without thinking about it so get stuck in and enjoy it.

What’s stressing you out the most?

Wrong lane, wrong turning, 7.5T weight limits, Low bridges?

The best tools I’ve used are:- Philips Truckers atlas, GOOGLE maps, satnav when needed, and the best of all - other truckers.

1st rule of trucking - “you WILL ■■ up”
2nd rule of trucking - “you WILL ■■ up”
3rd rule of trucking - “you WILL ■■ up”
After this, it will get better!

Pen and paper, make your route using Truckers atlas, Junction exits, road numbers, roundabout exits. And if you get lost - there’s ALWAYS a trucker ready to help!

When I did Tramping \ multidrop, all routes were planned by the driver. Hopefully, as things change, you’ll have a planner working for you!

SERIOUSLY - DON’T WORRY

macci:
What’s stressing you out the most?

Wrong lane, wrong turning, 7.5T weight limits, Low bridges?

The best tools I’ve used are:- Philips Truckers atlas, GOOGLE maps, satnav when needed, and the best of all - other truckers.

1st rule of trucking - “you WILL [zb] up”
2nd rule of trucking - “you WILL [zb] up”
3rd rule of trucking - “you WILL [zb] up”
After this, it will get better!

Pen and paper, make your route using Truckers atlas, Junction exits, road numbers, roundabout exits. And if you get lost - there’s ALWAYS a trucker ready to help!

When I did Tramping \ multidrop, all routes were planned by the driver. Hopefully, as things change, you’ll have a planner working for you!

SERIOUSLY - DON’T WORRY

All of those things worry me. I look for things to worry about. :frowning: Thanks for the list of resources. I’ll try and get that Atlas this week. And thanks to the others too for their helpful words.

If you’ve got a smart phone download navfree (it’s free) then go buy a truckers atlas to check the route the satnav is sending you. If you’re skint it’s probably the cheapest way to get set up.

terratology:
If you’ve got a smart phone download navfree (it’s free) then go buy a truckers atlas to check the route the satnav is sending you. If you’re skint it’s probably the cheapest way to get set up.

Thanks. I had a look at that and they have an Android version. I started to install then it asked for permissions and it said ‘Services that cost you money - directly call phone numbers’. There were others too but that one jumped out at me and worried me a little. So, I don’t know?

Give your map a good look over.
M3, M25, A1, M1, M4, A4067

You will soon become a dictionary of the road.

And you WILL GET LOST - or make the wrong turn

Hi,
I’ve just started my first week of tramping and I’ve bought Tom Tom XXL £99 and a truckers atlas from the services I’m going all round the UK also as the others have stated ask a driver.!!

I was in the isle of grain Monday night and I slept there next to some wagon, the fella les was very helpful gave me his number and told me to text him whenever, he gave me the best route from isle of grain to lewes/Brighton

Buy at quality atlas and sat nav. Use the satnav for convenience but look in your truckers atlas before every journey.

Phillips county atlases are spot on for fine details but at around £15 a time it can get very expensive if you are covering the entire country.

If on a budget start with a good truckers atlas, it will cover the whole of the UK and you’ll be amazed how quickly you learn the main routes. A cheap SatNav can help in pin pointing stuff and also help with journey times but NEVER blindly follow it.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a full on truck SatNav for UK work. For the same outlay you could equip yourself with an internet enabled tablet which will give you access to much more information including the fantastic google maps plus be useful for other stuff like getting on here whilst away. I do however think that for euro work a truck specific SatNav would be a worthwhile investment.

As for your nerves the best thing for them is to get stuck into it. As has already been posted you will make mistakes. When you do take a minute to assess the situation. Quite often its the acting in panic that turns a simple mistake into a big balls up.Trust your instincts and if your not sure ask. Sometimes the only route into a place is through weight limits and roads that don’t look too truck friendly. If your unsure get on the phone, either to a fellow driver or the customer and ask.

Like anything new it will be stressful to start with but you will soon get the hang of it and in a few months you’ll wonder why you ever worried about it. There are thousands of us out there and we’ve all been in your shoes at one point.

Cheers
Neilf

Ive got a basic truckers Atlas (i think its an AA one), and A basic (and slightly (4 years) out of date) tomtom, so far NO major ■■■■■■■■

I use the atlas for the distance work, then the tomtom for the last mile or 3 to the tip point.

some points to remember about satnavs…

1. they are only as good as the idiot following them, programming them, using them.
  2. postcodes ARE NOT always the actual location, ive come across 3 or 4 recently where the postcode in the nav, has been anything up to 3 miles away from the tip!
    3)if in ANY doubt ring your customer/planner/supervisor/TM they would ALL rather help you than have to put a massive and possibly expensive mistake right!

as a final point, RELAX! just keep your eyes open for restriction signs, direction signs and ESPECIALLY the black truckers signs!

HTH

B…