Streets of Watchet

Hello All, My dad used to work for Streets many years ago… Here is some pics of the “Good old trucking days” so dad says lol!!! Enjoy these pics!!! My dad is Martin Clark if it rings any bells!!

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

Some more pics I found!!!

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Gavin mate,

Great photos thanks very much for taking the time to post them. I never saw the yellow and brown Maggies,I only saw a photo once in a Truck and Driver magazine. They look great,a classic 70’s-80’s motor.

You’ve made my day mate,I’ve been waiting sine 1987 when I was 12 to see some Street’s yellow and brown Maggies!

Here’s a later Iveco from Bubbleman.

Thanks again,Jamie

Hi Gavin,
like NZJamie, a lot of these pics are new to me,never saw any in the red and cream,especially with the willie name on can remember some in the grey and the yellow and brown,did not remember any Iveco only the MDs, names of drivers for you, anyone remember Dave Bulley, lives in Bishops Lydeard now and I beleive still working out of Chelston,Jimmy Martin, not too healthy now but still in my circle of people in Watchet,lovely to see the pics, thanks.Mike.

Hi all

Have to agree , thanks Gavin for these excellent photographs. Yes I remember Dave Bulley. Jimmy Martin , Tony Pope , John Meade may he rest in peace, Ken Cox , Robin Cow, Graham Dyer , Johnny Porter , Timmy Myers , plus those in the photos , Martyn Clark, Pat Ottery, Dougie Deadman ( genuinely from Gravesend ), Brian Strange, Geoff Haycock to name just a few plus the guys down the dock, Archie Dyer , Harold Norman , Bob Baron who drove the Streets forklift, to name just a few. What a great bunch of lads. Apologies to any who I have missed, the memory fades a bit with age I think.
The maroon and cream livery was early eighties and all sprayed and sign written at the workshop by Ken Norman.

Thanks for the memories and would love to see more photos if any are around.

Mi671ke:
I actually worked for S & M Street,s Transport from March 1959 until November 1966 straight from School, trained for 6months under my predecessor (George Rayment) then he left on ill health,and I was on my own running the office obtaining loads,booking their digs,doing paye for their money,sending outh the monthly invoices to the Wansbrough Paper co, and others, at the time they ran 5 “O” type tippers on local work,3 Bedford S artic with 300 engine.1 S type artic with leyland 350,and an Albion FT37 artic. Contrary to popular belief, they were taken over by Chas Willie of Cardiff long after I had left,and all the vehicles were then transferred over to cardiff,when the Harbour closed down, at no time were they owned by A.A.Griggs, who were themselves a subsiduary of the reed and smith Paper Group

Hello Mi671ke

Small world - I started work in September 1962 at a builders in Taunton, Somerset - J.H. Shorney Ltd. - as a 16 year old office boy. George Rayment was my immediate boss in the office, I believe he came from Royston, Herts. originally. Obviously he recovered after leaving Streets but sadly died around 1966/67. It was very sudden, one day he was in the office then the next day he had gone. Died in his sleep I believe.

Regards

Retriever

In photo 4 is a pic of my dad pat it’s great to see these pics it brings back childhood memories of seeing all the tractors lined up a watcher docks and I remember as a kid Geoff the transport manager had a big pet rabbit that lived in the hut.and the lorry workshop at colleylane Bridgewater with fitter mike and his mad brother.

Some people may remember me as Sir Hugo. I worked at Streets transport from 1976 to approx 1983. I’m retired now and I’ve recently been asked to write about my early years as a driver. Is there anyone about who could help me remember some of the names of those I worked with and give me some simple info re tech stuff of the lorries we drove that I’ve since forgotten. Also, if anyone has other photos of those days I’d love to see them. Perhaps someone’s got a pic of my F86 - 180K or my Deutz 232 sleeper that had a sun visor - reg No had 402 in it. Thanks in advance

Maggie advert from 1976.

G’day fellas,
Anyone remember this mob? Are they still around and if so what are they running now? I remember seing them at Watchet harbour,in North Somerset,did they used to cart a lot of paper in large rolls? Does anyone have any pics of their Maggies that they opperated?

I remember being in Michael Street’s yard at Watchet in the 1950s. He was hauling for Wansborough Paper even then. He had a line of ex-War Department Bedfords at the back of the yard, IIRC.
Didn’t he sell out to Griggs eventually?

In the 70’s I used to load timber there after dropping off CKD cars, took alot of loads to unit pallets, Bolton and would then load out of there for the south.

back in the early 80,s my aunt lived in highbridge somerset and me and my dad would go to watchet docks to fish and id see streets motors in there getting loaded with timber and paper also aa griggs was in there alot

intertype7:

I’m not 100% sure, but I think you’re right :wink:

Denis F:

intertype7:

I’m not 100% sure, but I think you’re right :wink:

i know they had a lot of trouble with their operating centre and running into the dock was restricted to certain hours. In the end though i think it was when watchet dock shut commercially they lost the bulk of their work and ceased trading

I remember loading off streets with pulp.We had to wait in his yard till the boat came in[delayed bad weather]then wait for high tide[very narrow draft]entering harbour,then all get loaded[one at a time]before the next high tide rope and sheet in his yard,pick up notes and go[never forget that]
regards dave]

I actually worked for S & M Street,s Transport from March 1959 until November 1966 straight from School, trained for 6months under my predecessor (George Rayment) then he left on ill health,and I was on my own running the office obtaining loads,booking their digs,doing paye for their money,sending outh the monthly invoices to the Wansbrough Paper co, and others, at the time they ran 5 “O” type tippers on local work,3 Bedford S artic with 300 engine.1 S type artic with leyland 350,and an Albion FT37 artic. Contrary to popular belief, they were taken over by Chas Willie of Cardiff long after I had left,and all the vehicles were then transferred over to cardiff,when the Harbour closed down, at no time were they owned by A.A.Griggs, who were themselves a subsiduary of the reed and smith Paper Group

Edit postReport this postReply with quoteRe: West of Somerset Companies
by kwhopper » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi all reading this thread has brought a lot of back memories . I drove for Michael Street in the 70s . I started as a shunter for a couple of years down the dock with Archie Dyer and Harold Norman with Bob Baron driving the Streets forklift . My first shunting unit was 260 J pictured on here . Promotion came with another F86 this time 351 M . All of the fleet was sleeper Maggie Deutz by then with 1 Leyland Marathon and 1 TM Bedford . This was the transition time from going from grey livery with red sign writing to the maroon and cream livery . I later went back on distance work driving the Detroit powered 2 stroke TM ( 4mpg ) . The demise of the company allegedly started due to an issue at the Charles M Willie office in Cardiff . Another livery change ensued to the final yellow and brown . Parsons started running the fleet with a lot of vehicles going to outside owner drivers . This continued until the closure of the docks in 93 . It was a great company to work for with great drivers too , Tony Pope , John Meade , Ken Cox , Robin Cow , Geoff Haycock to name just a few . Sorry to drag on , should know when to stop . Looking forward to reading more local transport infokwhopper

Private message