Street & road scenes

Buzzer

Buzzer:

dave docwra:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Would the Albion be one of Robsons of Carlisle.

More interesting is what breed is the coal truck :smiley: :smiley: looks like a Royal Enfield motorcycle in the foreground too, Buzzer

Hi, The coal truck looks very much like a Scammell artic, the type that British Railways had. Cheers, Ray.

gazsa401:

Derby Road Nottingham

Just past the Leyland/BMC threepenny bit lorry is Hooleys Garage a Ford main dealer in Nottingham they also had a Ford commercial vehicle dealership on Abbey Street Lenton

Castle Boulevard Nottingham

^^
Noticing as well that the pedestrian crossing is only marked by the Belisha Beacon and studs in the road.

Ray Smyth:

Buzzer:

dave docwra:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Would the Albion be one of Robsons of Carlisle.

More interesting is what breed is the coal truck :smiley: :smiley: looks like a Royal Enfield motorcycle in the foreground too, Buzzer

Hi, The coal truck looks very much like a Scammell artic, the type that British Railways had. Cheers, Ray.

And what? 25cwt on the back?
What was the payload of a Scarab?
Any advantage to using one on coal? I can`t see one.

Buzzer

Franglais:
And what? 25cwt on the back?
What was the payload of a Scarab?
Any advantage to using one on coal? I can`t see one.

There were two visually similar versions of the Scammell Mechanical Horse, One for a three ton payload and the other for a six ton payload. The difference being a larger engine and an uprated Scammell coupling.

The advantage of the Mechanical Horse over a rigid lorry was its ability to turn through 360 degress in 19 feet with the common 16ft long trailer attached . This would be useful in streets of back to back housing doing coal deliveries.

The disadvantage was that unlike Dobbin, who was really its direct competitor, the driver had to return to the cab to move on up the street, whereas a whistle and Dobbin would come on as bidded.

Youngs Brewery in Wandsworth continued to use Shire horses for local deliveries until it closed down in 2006

flickr.com/photos/clivestanley/2721322759

alamy.com/youngs-brewery-ho … 61059.html

cav551:
Youngs Brewery in Wandsworth continued to use Shire horses for local deliveries until it closed down in 2006

flickr.com/photos/clivestanley/2721322759

alamy.com/youngs-brewery-ho … 61059.html

getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- … k-12246362

Considering the direction in which the clean air lobby appears to be heading cav , there’s a distinct possibility that Dobbin could yet make a comeback . But then , given the way that politicians have operated ever since Jesus was a lad they’d almost certainly slap a tax on horse s**t in the next budget … so ! … some you lose … some you just don’t win … ain’t life a ■■■■■ ?

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Flooded road Signed Lingfield Stn, Crowhurst and Puttenden Manor today, with the same single storey access building to the racecourse in the far distance.

google.com/maps/@51.1733438 … 384!8i8192

google.com/maps/@51.1722588 … 384!8i8192

VICTORIA STREET, MANCHESTER. 1968.

Buzzer

337169186_889189655682365_1571096030553110537_n.jpg

Buzzer

337551215_1616182512160221_8073657925666315935_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Buzzer[/quote.

John, What a great " Down to earth " and interesting picture from Glasgow, One of my favourite places.

Cheers, Ray.

Buzzer

Buzzer