Street & road scenes

Turkish street scene

Buzzer

Suedehead:

Old Town. Swindon

Bus appears to be one of a batch of 24 48 seat Leyland TD1s purchased by Swindon Corporation in 1929 to replace trams. 6 were fitted with Gardner 6LW engines in 1934, however none of these appear to have been in the batch of 14 finally withdrawn in 1947/8.

Upper Parliament Street Nottingham

A note sent ti me by the Late Gordon Ball when he sent me photo: This is a photo from the bad winter of 1979 when these trucks failed to get home & only a few miles to go.W H Williams was everywhere. A167 passing through the village of Chilton near Ferryhill, years before it was bypassed

402165_376950472322062_100000213361918_1722100_1999110164_n.jpg

Nice one Carl, Of course the weather conditions at that time was very bad, Larry.

gazsa401:

I’m pretty sure that cinema to the right is where Mum took me to see my first film - it was called ‘Smiley’ - in 1957. Love these Nottingham scenes from that period! Keep 'em coming. :sunglasses:

Buzzer

Sunday Market. Newcastle Quay Side.

Royal Quays North Shields.

Newcastle.

Buzzer

Blackpool 1950s Photo from Blackpool local newspaper of my Grandmother centre Grandfather right and my Grandfather’s life long friend Bobby Edwards. Bobby born in Spennymoor had sold his Durham City home and various businesses n Durham County inc Cinemas & dance halls and bought chunks of Blackpool at end of War . Amongst his purchases was Joseph Locke’s home complete with contents as a home for his son Tom.Joseph Locke at the time was Britain’s highest paid entertainer and left his Blackpool home complete with all his clothes to avoid paying a huge tax bill.
Bobby Edwards story was also quite interesting & for those interested I’ll tell it and my Grandfather’s connection on the W.H.Williams thread in ext day or so

ERF-NGC-European:

gazsa401:

I’m pretty sure that cinema to the right is where Mum took me to see my first film - it was called ‘Smiley’ - in 1957. Love these Nottingham scenes from that period! Keep 'em coming. :sunglasses:

Another one for you mate The Sherwood Rooms Colin Street later to changed to The Astoria [emoji106]

gazsa401:

ERF-NGC-European:

gazsa401:

Another one for you mate The Sherwood Rooms Colin Street later to changed to The Astoria [emoji106]

Now you come to mention it, I seem to remember in the '50s, a small cinema in Mansfield Road where it passes by Sherwood. It was a few doors up from the little Corporation bus garage on the left going out of town in the Arnold direction.

Nottingham Market Square locally known as Slab Square

Buzzer

ERF-NGC-European:

gazsa401:

ERF-NGC-European:

gazsa401:

Now you come to mention it, I seem to remember in the '50s, a small cinema in Mansfield Road where it passes by Sherwood. It was a few doors up from the little Corporation bus garage on the left going out of town in the Arnold direction.

Bit before my time mate the bus garage is still there though it was split into two buildings some years ago
One half still houses smaller local buses and the other half is a Wetherspoons pub
I actually now live in Arnold but I’m originally from Broxtowe a huge council estate in Nottingham

gazsa401:

[/quote]
Bit before my time mate the bus garage is still there though it was split into two buildings some years ago
One half still houses smaller local buses and the other half is a Wetherspoons pub
I actually now live in Arnold but I’m originally from Broxtowe a huge council estate in Nottingham
[/quote]

When I was about eight I used to roam all over Nottingham (you could in those days!). I remember going in that bus garage, which was then full of Regent 111 double-deckers. The fitter let me stand just behind / beside the driver’s seat while he manoevered the buses round the the garage. Great experience for a little 'un. Wouldn’t be allowed now :laughing: ! I can just smell the diesel now.

They were all of this batch IIRC. The No. 10 went past the depot to Arnold, as I’m sure you know.

Buzzer