Street & road scenes

Haymarket Newcastle upon Tyne, B E S T ,(Blakes Express Service Transport, Morden Street Depot. Larry.

8LXBV8BRIAN:

Carl Williams:
This photo turned up on a BBC4 program about 4 years ago. I managed to freeze the screen & take photo from my TV don’y know where it was taken

M62 THE MOTOWAY THAT WOULD STAY OPEN i think could be wrong tho. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: .

I was thinking M606 turn off from Hartshead Moor before i read your comment

Eddie Heaton:
I wonder if the guy attempting to execute the interesting overtaking manoeuvre on Woodhead still moves among us ?

It looks very worrying

25-c-10photographs.jpg

The A1 going through Bramham Yorkshire a long time ago. On the left is Sanderson’s transport digs. The big building on the right is the old school I used to go to.

Buzzer

G.Lowdon Ltd, North Road Garage, Seaton Burn. Larry

Buzzer

Buzzer

323425419_680314220411549_1020003806667260215_n.jpg

Another photo sent to me through the power of the internet, and I have no clue where it was taken. Obviously our van is on the wrong side of the road passing through roadworks, but how was it taken, If it was today a drone would be the answer but the van is a Bedford with a Boalloy body and we had three of these G Reg but as the bodies built by Boalloy were very poor quality they were all gone by 1976 and there certainly were no drones in those days

not my pic

The main A4 Pell Street through Reading in 1969, one of the many bottlenecks on the A4 London to Bristol route pre M4. I remember recovering a 8 ton BMC FJK long wheelbase belonging to T.W Ward loaded with gas valves, it broke in half just before that junction and the queue was almost back to Maidenhead for a while! The load was transhipped onto an eight wheeler and found to be overweight for that!! :open_mouth: Thought to be the only junction in the UK where a street (Pell Street) a road (Elgar Road) a lane (Katesgrove Lane) and an avenue (Berkeley Avenue) meet.

Pete.

Bulwell Market Place

Highbury Road Highbury Vale

104493492_2763641067202429_249302052448657936_n.jpg

In the 50’s the Ai (M) bypassing Bramham Yorkshire being built. The big building on the right was part of Bowcliffe Hall which was owned by Blackburn aircraft firm but then owned by the Hargreaves group. The small house on the right behind that tree is our house where I grew up.

A couple of similar shots of the concrete section of the M6 motorway under construction in 1964 near Forton services . There may well be a few drivers remaining that recall this section of motorway several years later when the ker-chunk ker-chunk ker-chunk sound made when going over the expansion joints almost rocked you to sleep .

The images appear here courtesy of Barrie Old , one of McAlpine’s engineers who worked on the job at that particular time . The coloured shot I believe appeared in a publication sponsored by McAlpine . The monochrome shot was taken by Barrie himself .

One thing that has mystified me for some time is the fact that the 9 yard drums and donkey engines appear to be mounted on some kind of elevating platform . Maybe there are one or two mixer drivers out there who are able to illuminate me as to what’s going on there ?

I’ve done 12 years on the mixers myself , post donkey engine years obviously , but I’ve never come across a setup like that .

Hebron near Morpeth, A small site cabin for delivery there. Larry.

A 1 Boroughbridge 1989. Larry.

The A 1 At the Novetel Junction, Larry.

Grindstone Law, Near Ryal, Northumberland, In the 90s, Larry.

Church Bank Gateshead, The driver was the late Jeff Smiles whos Dad owned the ERF, Larry

A driver for Smilers called Bernard Shultz, A German POW. Who stayed in stayed in the UK when the war ended and settled down here drove this ERF tipper until he retired, Then Bobby Marsh (AKA as Posser) drove it for a while, He then went on to drive for Waughies, I lost touch some time ago sadly, Larry.