Straps

Morning all. I’ve been seeing a lot of a type of strap recently, that doesn’t have a ratchet? I’ve started referring to them as “click-overs” as that is the locking system. It seems like you pull the loose end as hard as you possibly can, then push the rotating lever over, trapping the loose end (or the start of the loose end where it comes out of the mechanism), and securing the strap.

My question is, am I missing something? I’ve seen them used before and the blokes actually racthet them (or do the action, it doesn’t actually have a ratchet in the mechanism), but I just can’t make them work the same way.

Cheers!

You mean something like this

Or the black eurobuckles on curtainsiders?

what you saw was the driver holding the slack end with his left and pumping the lock to take as much slack out as possible before locking the catch over. it does look like winding a ratchet, but its just a way of feeding the slack through.

jbaz73:
what you saw was the driver holding the slack end with his left and pumping the lock to take as much slack out as possible before locking the catch over. it does look like winding a ratchet, but its just a way of feeding the slack through.

This seems most likely. What I’ve been doing is just pulling them through as hard as I can, which takes a lot of effort (my grip strength is absolutely awful). I’ll have a play around with them some more today.

There similar to internals, personally I don’t like as you can’t get tension as can on a proper ratchet.

Some can flick back if not all way down which ■■■■■■ hurts!!!

I’ll stick with my old ratchets thank you

You cant go wrong with a jockstrap.

Erm sorry…wrong forum.

They’re really only designed for things like fridges where there’s a limit to how much tension the tie down points can take laterally at an angle pulling away 90 degrees to the securing point . For example Longitudinally the common rails on fridges will secure any load reasonably placed within if the tension acts in the same plain as the rail but ratchets placed straight across without bearing around the load first can pull them off the side wall.

Freight Dog:
They’re really only designed for things like fridges where there’s a limit to how much tension the tie down points can take laterally at an angle pulling away 90 degrees to the securing point . For example Longitudinally the common rails on fridges will secure any load reasonably placed within if the tension acts in the same plain as the rail but ratchets placed straight across without bearing around the load first can pull them off the side wall.

I do position the hooks “back” from the front of the cages, and make sure to push the hooks “through” so they can’t come out. Had it happen the other day, the one day I didn’t check the load. Now I don’t care, I’m breaking the ■■■■ seal.