Strapping to the body

In my job when I’m on nights i load and strap 8 motors with all sorts of small tool’s ranging from a cordless drill to a 10Kva generator (which isn’t that small!) anyway one of the laborers who helps gets a lift home with one of the drivers in the day and apparently he was moaning about the straps being on the body and that VOSA don’t like it. does anyone else know if this is true or is it just BS ■■ All the trucks are cutrainsiders which have load restraint bars.

Strapping to the body? Makes a change from ■■■■■■ clamps.

■■■■■ !!!

Our bosses prefer you strap to the chassis rather than the body. That is of course all well and good until you get to strapping the front three rows of pallets and there is no chassis rails to strap to. The thinking is that the edge of the load bed will be the first to corrode, easiest to damage and possibly the weakest bit of metal on the trailer. If you are strapping down something which weighs in at a tonne plus to that bit of metal and something goes wrong then it could end up being a very bad day for all concerned but especially the driver.

If you strap to the chassis rails, which are much stronger as they carry the load of the trailer plus the load, then it is apparently safer. VOSA and bosses dont take into account the fact that there is very little on the chassis rail to stop a strap sliding with the load down the trailer and off the back.

When the Op mentions the vehicle body, I think that means the side rave (the rail you all buckle your curtain to)

A side rave is not a recognised lashing point :open_mouth:
A lashing point is a fixed point to restrain a load, eg. D loops etc
Which means the hook that attaches to the vehicle body can not slide if any evasive action was to be taken.

“Vehicle body meaning trailer or rigid”

chester:
When the Op mentions the vehicle body, I think that means the side rave (the rail you all buckle your curtain to)

A side rave is not a recognised lashing point :open_mouth:
A lashing point is a fixed point to restrain a load, eg. D loops etc
Which means the hook that attaches to the vehicle body can not slide if any evasive action was to be taken.

“Vehicle body meaning trailer or rigid”

This is what I was thinking too but for the first 4-6 pallets you have no choice, (on a semi) because there are no available chassis rails. I.E. the two RSJ looking things that run down the middle of the trailer. You have to strap to the side rave there because of the plate around the king pin.

Nsmith1180 I can tell you how the first few pallets could be restrained but it’s inpractical and I don’t want to see drivers causing issues for their bosses! As cash is the biggest deciding factor before safety.

Most bosses don’t want drivers causing them excess expenditure!

Iam lucky, I work for a firm who take health and safety very seriously. It suits me as everybody we deal with play the game.

What a load of ■■■■■■■■, I’ve always strapped to the side rave, more than strong enough to strap the vast majority of loads, anyone who says otherwise is on complete & utter over kill.

Tell 'em if they want to ■■■■ about under the wagon & strap to the chassis they can do it themselves.

I did see it wrote in black and white that VOSA will accept internals straps fastened to the side rave for loads no more than 400kg eg 1 internal strap per 400kg pallet.

I’ve also seen it in black and white that all loads have to be fastened to the bed by physical means.

They is a lot of confusion out there at the moment.

I always strap to the chassis because most European companies tip through the back doors so I can always get my straps off without opening all the curtains first ?

Silver_Surfer:
What a load of ■■■■■■■■, I’ve always strapped to the side rave, more than strong enough to strap the vast majority of loads, anyone who says otherwise is on complete & utter over kill.

Tell 'em if they want to ■■■■ about under the wagon & strap to the chassis they can do it themselves.

One assumes that you are older than your trailer then. If the reverse is true you might want to strap to the chassis.

All the bodies I have built and the trailers and bodies bought 2nd hand we have fitted 8 mm thick 5 inch angle iron to, welded to both sides of every runner so its more than good enough to stap off.

Using spansets on the chassis adds two more friction points to the job. Each one will a) reduce the downward force on the load and b) put another rub point for the strap. As you may gather, I always secure to the side rail.

Silver_Surfer:

+1,
I will strap to the chassis if the spansets long enough & I don’t have to roll around in the ‘■■■■■■ to do it. But the most loads that we do, don’t need all that messing around !

bigdennis:
Using spansets on the chassis adds two more friction points to the job. Each one will a) reduce the downward force on the load and b) put another rub point for the strap. As you may gather, I always secure to the side rail.

Correct mate when ever I have strapped of the chassis I have had a slack bit between the chassis and the side rail.

Hiya 2 weeks ago i was loading a round cylinder on a trailer it was just over 23 tons. this chap
who thought he was a driver come messing around putting one strap over at each end
of the cylinder and onto the chock(side rail you call them)rail. not good enough for me.
i told him to move away this is my load my responsability. i strap from chassis round the cylinder
back to the same place on the chassis on both sides and back and front.4 straps.
he would’nt leave me to do the job my way. i then told him to go away in a stronger tone
he still would’nt leave me alone. then their was a smashing sound. not really sure what happened.
2 men come and marched me off the premises. i don’t work their anymore.
maybe its better to strap off the chock rail useing as few straps as possible, you’ll keep your job longer.
John

Thing is John there’s side rails and side rails ,the ones I wouldn’t strap off are these ones fastend on with rivets ,and made of 3 mm c channel ,all ours are. 8 mm angle iron so the hook has a better chance than on c channel.

Dan Punchard:
Thing is John there’s side rails and side rails ,the ones I wouldn’t strap off are these ones fastend on with rivets ,and made of 3 mm c channel ,all ours are. 8 mm angle iron so the hook has a better chance than on c channel.

Hiya Dan the ones on the trailer i was loading was only 16 guage metal plus the trailer was 1973. rust on rust.
the chassis was best. the chock was’nt very strong i bent it with the chaps head.
i’am about to ring a lad you know…Wal from Brassington.
cheers John

Ask him if about what he called old plumbly at ballidon.

Dan Punchard:
Ask him if about what he called old plumbly at ballidon.

Hiya he’s not in at the moment. i can smell getting in trouble asking him that. remember him calling
Ray Chailds at hulland products Beetroot because of his red face. that used to kill me.
i’ll ask him anyway
cheers mate
John

Ignore the bloke with thumbs up.

mdeFX0D4_oyWCY-RuwU9CbQ.jpg