Strapping stillages

Just after some advice so that I don’t look a total prat. I’ve been stood down from work on no pay and so have decided to do some agency work to keep some money coming in (company are ok with this).

I’ll be pulling a curtain sider collecting pallets/stillages. I will have plenty of straps and have been told to strap down every one. Now I’m no stranger to securing loads - but I have been working with plant and cars - so over the wheel stuff and directly into the deck.

So how do I work with these stillages? If they are loaded on top of each other, will a strap over the top of each stack do the job? Are there specific points to use to stop the straps chaffing, or should they be fed through the bars somehow?

I know there was a recent post on this subject but the problem there was lack of straps. Any pointers gratefully received. It’s going to feel weird pulling something that I can’t drive on!

without seeing the load it difficult to be sure.
but from what you’ve said, just straight over the top, then anchored onto the rope hooks, or onto the chassis if poss, then criss cross the back.

Depending on the stillage design and H&S regs on site regarding climbing on the bed I prefer to, where possible feed the stap through the bars at the bottom (near the feet) of the stillages at the top of the stack.

Thanks for the replies fellas, very much appreciated.

grumpybum:
I’ve been stood down from work on NO PAY and so have decided to do some agency work to keep some money coming in (company are ok with this).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats bloody big of 'em, remember this for the future job hunt.

Strap to the chock rail or chassis if poss as for rope hooks clues i the name :wink:

Oh an pallet sized stillages should be fine with one over the middle

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Got on okay when the stacks were low enough for me to throw a strap over from the floor (H&S - not allowed on the trailer :unamused: ) but when there was only a 6" gap at the top I asked the forkie to take them off so I could throw a strap over before he put he put it back on - and he was really helpful. Have learned that I throw like a girl! :blush: Boy do my shoulders ache today :laughing:

Juddian:

grumpybum:
I’ve been stood down from work on NO PAY and so have decided to do some agency work to keep some money coming in (company are ok with this).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And the job search is already on! I haven’t handed in my notice yet as I’m still officially employed, which although unpaid, still looks better when looking for alternative employment. Trouble is, I’m too fussy when looking for work. I don’t want to be sat around in RDC’s, don’t want fridge work - DO want tramping, same truck, parking paid for and preferably plant/cars/flatbed type work. Oh, and if it’s cars, I want an artic without a peak so that I can still have a big cab. Not much to ask for eh? So looks like I’m stuck with a bit of agency until the perfect job comes along, or I win the lottery - whichever comes first :laughing:

grumpybum:
Have learned that I throw like a girl! :blush:

Thats probably because you are a girl … :wink:

peirre:

grumpybum:
Have learned that I throw like a girl! :blush:

Thats probably because you are a girl … :wink:

Hmm, that is quite a well-crafted argument. I might have to concede that point :laughing:

grumpybum:

Juddian:

grumpybum:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And the job search is already on! I haven’t handed in my notice yet as I’m still officially employed, which although unpaid, still looks better when looking for alternative employment. Trouble is, I’m too fussy when looking for work. I don’t want to be sat around in RDC’s, don’t want fridge work - DO want tramping, same truck, parking paid for and preferably plant/cars/flatbed type work. Oh, and if it’s cars, I want an artic without a peak so that I can still have a big cab. Not much to ask for eh? So looks like I’m stuck with a bit of agency until the perfect job comes along, or I win the lottery - whichever comes first :laughing:

Good luck with the search.

You’d be lucky, or unlucky :open_mouth: , to find an artic car carrier with a peak any more, they certainly sorted the men from the boys.
Car pay usually based on bonuses, so no peak means a car short every load.

This how I did one last week, might not look smart but it did the job.

jessicas dad:

bloody hell alex got a tad over excited on that on did’nt you ? :open_mouth:

jessicas dad:

It looks horrid! But it looks safe and probably the best way to strap a single IBC like that in that location. Fair play.

gonzothejaffa1:

jessicas dad:

bloody hell alex got a tad over excited on that on did’nt you ? :open_mouth:

That’s an IBC not a stillage :wink:

Just sayin :laughing:

jessicas dad:

Let VOSA find fault with that. As long as it is secure who cares what it looks like, its hidden by the curtain anyway.