Strapping loads

Just been reading THIS and don’t ever want to find myself in that situation.

With this in mind, when do trainee/new drivers learn how to strap a load properly?

Have any of you lot doing C or C+E courses been given instructon on strapping a load or is that something you have to pick up when you start working?

Never been taught how to strap a load, and I doubt I will…

"you lot doing C or C+E courses been given instructon on strapping a load "

Usually HGV driving course’s only cover the skills necessary to pass the driving test(S)

Some schools also do extra course’s coving loading (ie wieght & balance, securing etc.)

I would HOPE that correct Loading & Securing of load,
will become a MAJOR element within the Driver CPC

Because of the specilised load handling we do (mostly on flat beds)
our boos insists that you ride shotgun, until you learn the ropes on any new loadtype.

Of those that are interested…
There is some free information about loading & security availabel on the net
Check this:
dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicle … scodeo4566

Regards Double Q

It should be something that a good employer would deal with when employing any new driver.

However in the real world with agency work being the most likely start it’s just not going to happen. Maybe someone on general haulage could make a post or something with some pointers on it as a bit of advice.

I’ve done my bit for the plant / construction machinery side of things and rolled it up in a blog, it might just one day get someone out of trouble who’s read it before.

Common sense makes it easier to understand.

like hooking a ratchet strap to a rubbolite lamp, strapping over a tilt board instead of behind it, strapping a load of glass or sharp metal without corner boards or protection.
Trying to strap a fragile load over the load rather than through the pallets.

otherwise, watch and learn :wink:

yes, theyre very big ar,nt they.

fazer:

WTF?

fazer:

I dont understand this comment from someone who took 14 years to pass a driving test :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe it is posted in the wrong thread :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

like hooking a ratchet strap to a rubbolite lamp, strapping over a tilt board instead of behind it, strapping a load of glass or sharp metal without corner boards or protection.

No offense WN, but to a new driver, none of this makes sense, but you are right, securing a load is common sense. Or rather looking at the load and thinking about whether it’s going to move when you go round a roundabout, and strapping it in such a way as to stop it moving.

I was never taught, but as WN said watched and learnt. It’s like any other situation in the job or any other job. If in doubt… ask someone. If that someone doesn’t help, ask someone else.

Better looking a fool than sitting in the back of a police car explaining why your load is spread across the road.

Wheel Nut:

No offense WN, but to a new driver, none of this makes sense, but you are right, securing a load is common sense. Or rather looking at the load and thinking about whether it’s going to move when you go round a roundabout, and strapping it in such a way as to stop it moving.

I was never taught, but as WN said watched and learnt. It’s like any other situation in the job or any other job. If in doubt… ask someone. If that someone doesn’t help, ask someone else.

Better looking a fool than sitting in the back of a police car explaining why your load is spread across the road.

Lostpup:

Wheel Nut:

Probably late at night and under the affluence :stuck_out_tongue:

I see what you mean, basically I meant, think what and where you are strapping, are you going to damage the goods, are you going to get to the drop with all your straps cut because they have chafed through. When I started Rubbolite was the new modern technology :smiley:

I have picked old ferry trailers up at the dock, those pesky Dutchmen had new fangled straps and hooked them over the rope hooks, all that did was either snap then or straighten them

When i started in this game. You were brought up through the ranks and that’s how you learned.
Sadly those days are gone.
All i can advise is ask another driver. Most will be very willing to help you out. It’s not the sort of thing you can learn from a website or a book.
Look for sharp edges. Shove cardboard / carpet etc over the edge.
Will a box collapse under the pressure of the strap then come loose?
Most of it becomes fairly obvious, Just take your time and if need be, Start again.

Complacency is a dangerous thing … one of our 7.5t drivers didnt strap his load a couple of weeks ago and unloaded across the m25 south m26 slip narrowly missing other motorists . Couldve been a lot more serious if one of his 800 kg units had wiped out a zafira family cruiser instead of the central reservation .
Needless to say strapping loads has become an issue , how long does it take to be on the safe side ?

For Gawds sake don’t do what an ex-workmate of mine did and strap your front pallets to the unit. :open_mouth: Really :open_mouth: What the hell he was thinking i don’t know, but there you go.

Amazingly he managed to get from Hull docks to Bridgend before anything happened… Two roundabouts off the M4 and out they came, through the curtain and all over the road. Wood everywhere. Strangely enough i haven’t seen him since. :confused:

I was lucky in that my grandad learnt me how to rope and sheet at a young age although I havent had to do that for a good few yew years now but at least I have the knowledge, if in the future I have a load that needs roping and sheeting

and going out with him and my dad during school holidays gave me an insight into securing different loads