Strapping down loads

beefy4605:

sapper:
Sheeeeit, 7 pages, thats 23 minutes of my life I shall never get back, what a crappy resolution, I thought we might have had a challenge to a duel, maybe a meet at a car park an fisticuffs, or even handbags at dawn in Lymm truckpark, seriously disappointed.

Sapper

even a strap-off in Lymm or a strap-on in Lymm - oh wait that egerbeavers territory

Get your facts straight!

Dipper_Dave is our resident strap-on expert, EB’s more into dress up fetishism.

I put my ratchets on the off side. Will I be arrested [emoji848][emoji848]

Occasionally I’ll have to ratchet on the near side, but only if it’s too windy to throw the straps from that side.

Always strapped mdf going to egger at hexham on the off side as it was quicker to get the ratchets off as soon a the curtain was open. The forklifts would lift the packs off before you even pulled the straps off.

sapper:
Sheeeeit, 7 pages, thats 23 minutes of my life I shall never get back, what a crappy resolution, I thought we might have had a challenge to a duel, maybe a meet at a car park an fisticuffs, or even handbags at dawn in Lymm truckpark, seriously disappointed.

Sapper

Have to agree, another good thread morphed into a load of old bollox…talking of, how would that load be strapped?? :grimacing:

AndrewG:

sapper:

Sapper

Have to agree, another good thread morphed into a load of old bollox…talking of, how would that load be strapped?? :grimacing:

Very carefully… crushable load, doncha know! :grimacing: :grimacing:

UKtramp:
I think the plumb may be you, I give up with some of you. As you have jumped in and come out with this statement trying to make yourself out to know something others don’t. Give me an example of a load that is required to be strapped both ways other than the ones already given Mr Plumb.

I used to load 13m lengths of Rebar out of Chatham and it was Sop to strap in both directions so as to pull the load to the centre of the trailer. We would do one each side at the front, one each way at 1/3 distance one each way at 2/3 distance and one each way at the back.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Toddy2:

Jingle Jon:

Toddy2:

Your talking [zb] ,I wouldn’t trust you with said vehicle .

This is a very simple fact. When you wind a properly secured strap… the laws of physics mean the pressure is equal on both sides… it pulls in from both sides … not in the direction of the ratchet… if you find that is happening… you are doing it wrong. End .!

Pot & Kettle pal, you are the one talking [zb]

The pressure is not always equal on both sides,
depends on what you are strapping, what friction you get on the corners, angle of straps, etc…
I have sometimes used a strap with ratchets both sides for this reason

Been doing general haulage since 1978, artics since 81… started out on a 7.5 D Series. Never had a problem with this… I make sure my straps are well secured and not obstructed, then the science remains the same - the pressure is equal both sides. You are not pulling… you are winding up the slack above and below the point of the ratchet… simples. If done correctly, the greatest force is downwards then inwards.

Ah well, I guess you youngsters always know best - thing is, when I started on a transit, then graduated to a D0607, we didn’t have ratchet straps - so you naturally did your dollies alternate sides- seemed to work for me - but what do i know :open_mouth:

I used to work with a 360 machine driver who started about the same time as you back in the late 70’s, he’d also done it all, diggers, dozers,dumpers,dragline, and to see the man operate it was unbelievable!
FFS how could someone be so useless, you’d think he’d been at it for a couple of months at most not most of his life!

I drive a flat bed and am on empty pallets.
I always strap with the ratchet to the offside, that way I can keep an eye on them in my o/s mirror.
Was pulled by VOSA a few months back and all they said was’ it’s nice to see a load strapped tight and even’,