Strapping down loads

Toddy2:
Ah well, I guess you youngsters always know best - thing is, when I started on a transit, then graduated to a D0607, we didn’t have ratchet straps - so you naturally did your dollies alternate sides- seemed to work for me - but what do i know :open_mouth:

Dear Toddy,

If you join a debate over half way through… it may be a good idea to drill back a little. I’ve already covered the roping & sheeting issue.

To answer your question… I don’t know… what do you know? :open_mouth:

Jingle Jon:

Toddy2:
Ah well, I guess you youngsters always know best - thing is, when I started on a transit, then graduated to a D0607, we didn’t have ratchet straps - so you naturally did your dollies alternate sides- seemed to work for me - but what do i know :open_mouth:

Dear Toddy,

If you join a debate over half way through… it may be a good idea to drill back a little. I’ve already covered the roping & sheeting issue.

He actually posted on page 1 quite before you unfortunately

blue estate:
I was but winding you 2 up is more fun

You have just wound yourself up M8. No one else.

UKtramp:

blue estate:
I was but winding you 2 up is more fun

You have just wound yourself up M8. No one else.

alright M12 I must be getting to you as you keep replying to me ,
I thought you wouldn’t have soiled your self talking to a mere rigid driver with visions of bettering him self , but what do I know I’m just an ignorant softy southerner not an tight arse northerner

tango boy:

Jingle Jon:

Toddy2:

Dear Toddy,

We’re talking about roping & sheeting… do keep up.

Jingle Jon:

tango boy:

Jingle Jon:

Toddy2:

Dear Toddy,

Not any more really - turned into who can ■■■■ highest up the wall

The trolls have been well fed

tango boy:

A mere snack tbh, no more than a packet of crisps, I much prefer a poster I can get my teeth into.

UKtramp:

tango boy:

A mere snack tbh, no more than a packet of crisps, I much prefer a poster I can get my teeth into.

I guess we should take comfort in knowing that we are all a bit safer whilst these idiots are bashing away on their keyboards

Ok, dare I come on here? :smiley:
Just stick my big toe in the water first, yeh reckon it’s safe. :laughing:

I do multi drops, if I know the drops, and know that some are always unloaded on certain sides,… for example some are unloaded on the roadside outside the front of the customer’s premises on the flow of traffic side only, (I will obviously try and ensure it’s loaded on correct side) so the ratchet goes on the off side for convenience and to get away as quick as poss, by just tigtening the ratchet after getting their single pack or whatever off, and vice versa if coming off at the nearside…think I’ve explained that right. :neutral_face:

Tbf I agree with UKt that it’s safer to ratchet nearside, especially if on a flat where sometimes you do HAVE to stop asap to tighten a slacked off strap, maybe in some cases the hard shoulder, which isn’t great if it’s ratcheted o/side.

As for a tautliner I would just tighten it at the next most convenient safe spot anyway, not anywhere potentially dangerous, so no real issue as to which side in general in that case I would reckon.

That’s my contribution off now, not getting involved. :smiley:

Toddy2:

Jingle Jon:

tango boy:

Jingle Jon:
Dear Toddy,

Not any more really - turned into who can ■■■■ highest up the wall

Indeed, so to try and put it back on track…

It’s always best to ratchet from the near side, unless circumstances dictate otherwise. The reasons are it’s generally safer and if you’re doing a drop n swap, the other driver knows where the ratchets are most likely to be.

Although there are very few drivers roping & sheeting these days… so there’s no logical point to be made by ■■■■■■■ that one up the wall.

robroy:

I do multi drops, if I know the drops, and know that some are always unloaded on certain sides,… for example some are unloaded on the roadside outside the front of the customer’s premises on the flow of traffic side only, (I will obviously try and ensure it’s loaded on correct side) so the ratchet goes on the off side for convenience and to get away as quick as poss, by just tigtening the ratchet after getting their single pack or whatever off, and vice versa if coming off at the nearside…think I’ve explained that right. :neutral_face:

Tbf I agree with UKt that it’s safer to ratchet nearside, especially if on a flat where sometimes you do HAVE to stop asap to tighten a slacked off strap, maybe in some cases the hard shoulder, which isn’t great if it’s ratcheted o/side.

As for a tautliner I would just tighten it at the next most convenient safe spot anyway, not anywhere potentially dangerous, so no real issue as to which side in general in that case I would reckon.

Pity you didn’t come onto this post earlier rob, what you say is correct and what I say is correct too within reason. Difference between someone who knows the job and someone who argues for the sake of it only shows that they lack in both common sense and in general knowledge. I fail to see how anyone could put up 7 pages of continual arguing trying to prove that I am wrong when that is a shear impossibility due to what I have said is actually very true and good advice for a new driver to adopt who wouldn’t naturally know the dangers of ratcheting to the offside so where possible keep your ratchets to the nearside.

UKtramp:

robroy:

Pity you didn’t come onto this post earlier rob, what you say is correct and what I say is correct too within reason. Difference between someone who knows the job and someone who argues for the sake of it only shows that they lack in both common sense and in general knowledge. I fail to see how anyone could put up 7 pages of continual arguing trying to prove that I am wrong when that is a shear impossibility due to what I have said is actually very true and good advice for a new driver to adopt who wouldn’t naturally know the dangers of ratcheting to the offside so where possible keep your ratchets to the nearside.

Yeh… but how you gonna strap blue nobs reels?

I’ll call a cab. :slight_smile:

robroy:

Just in time Rob, this thread was just about to die a natural death. :grimacing:

Jingle Jon:

If you do you will probably find it is blue nob that picks you up :smiley: :smiley:

UKtramp:

Jingle Jon:

If you do you will probably find it is blue nob that picks you up :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve got the blue nob app. Pick you up anywhere, all you have to do is strap up for him.

You can download if from: wibble.m8m8m8.nob

well thats the biggest load of crap i’v read for a while

scotstrucker:
well thats the biggest load of crap i’v read for a while

Didn’t realise Scotland has so little to do… eh ho…

Sheeeeit, 7 pages, thats 23 minutes of my life I shall never get back, what a crappy resolution, I thought we might have had a challenge to a duel, maybe a meet at a car park an fisticuffs, or even handbags at dawn in Lymm truckpark, seriously disappointed.

Sapper

sapper:
Sheeeeit, 7 pages, thats 23 minutes of my life I shall never get back, what a crappy resolution, I thought we might have had a challenge to a duel, maybe a meet at a car park an fisticuffs, or even handbags at dawn in Lymm truckpark, seriously disappointed.

Sapper

even a strap-off in Lymm or a strap-on in Lymm - oh wait that egerbeavers territory