Strap throwing technique

How do you get the straps up and over the high stuff, porta cabins , modular buildings etc , more so when your parked next to tris , I just can get the technique, now getting problems with shoulders ( maybe old injuries +age ) , I end up with more straps comming down on me or near me than up and over the top , think the problem is I’m having to chuck up 8/12 straps to get the 4 over that I need , which is taking toll on shoulders / back etc .
Normal height stuff I’m fine with , or if I’ve room to stand back and throw over , not up and over
How do lads who transport pallets get on , there highish , but I guess parked normally in middle of yard its throw over , not up and ovet. Ta
Nb go away nodding donkey , I’m after some genuine advice , as left shoulder I’d that bad I’m struggling to drive , not your normal tripe

I did portacabins for years and was really accurate using the hand grenade technique (can’t discuss why I’m good at this). Then they switched to short straps on the legs for the ones with fragile roofs.

Simply stand back and arc arm and throw, ideally not into the wind.

A little twist of the hips and firm follow through action helps (that’s what she said).

Oh and never throw metal end over.
Done right the metal end will still be in one hand for placing on secure anchoring point.

Ladder

ideally not into the wind.

Number one rule on throwing straps :slight_smile:
2. always coil your strap with the hook in the middle that way your throwing the heavy bit
3. stand back from the load. too close your not throwing over your expending all your energy throwing upwards
4. Hold onto the end of the strap, nothing worse than a great throw than to watch the rest of the strap follow it over the load (it happens)

Practice, or use a ladder or gantry.

There really is no other way.

Rikki surely you don’t advocate chucking the hook end■■?

F-reds:

I wouldn’t either, makes for a lot of wasted walking about…

I first see what way the wind is blowing as it makes a hell of a difference.
I roll mine with hook on outside incase damage the truck with hook.
End up with hook through window if your ■■■■■ at throwing.
It’s all in the flick of the wrist. :smiley:

Never throw the hook end over , :imp: You wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that if you happened to be stood there :exclamation:

weeto:

F-reds:

I wouldn’t either, makes for a lot of wasted walking about…

Definately! I’m far too lazy for that!

And that’s before you even get to damaged bodywork, glazing, or body parts, from poorly aimed throws.

I f you chucked it over the correct way to start with it wouldn’t come back to smack you on the skull, if it hit’s someone else then tough as they shouldn’t be standing there :slight_smile:

Mikey D:
Never throw the hook end over , :imp: You wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that if you happened to be stood there :exclamation:

What he said. Plus, when I coil mine it’s always with the open end of the hook facing out. That way when you’ve thrown the strap over there should be no twists in it.

raymundo:
I f you chucked it over the correct way to start with it wouldn’t come back to smack you on the skull, if it hit’s someone else then tough as they shouldn’t be standing there :slight_smile:

All very well saying that till it happens and you have to explain it.

Sidevalve:

raymundo:

All very well saying that till it happens and you have to explain it.

Well you could always apologise profusely and say I never saw you there, while trying not to grin, seriously though I would try to get as much of the plain end over so I still had to pull down on the strap to hook it on, same with ropes.

The next time it’s windy and your really struggling can you please film it and post it on here :smiley:

Rikki-UK:

ideally not into the wind.

Number one rule on throwing straps :slight_smile:
2. always coil your strap with the hook in the middle that way your throwing the heavy bit
3. stand back from the load. too close your not throwing over your expending all your energy throwing upwards
4. Hold onto the end of the strap, nothing worse than a great throw than to watch the rest of the strap follow it over the load (it happens)

+1 except the throwing of the metal hook.
A nice tightly rolled strap should fly over in all but the most gusty of conditions.

Holding the hook and letting it settle above a hooking point after the chucking procedure will allow for an easy pull down and securing to the truck. Then walk round the otherside, flap the strap about a bit until in ideal position then attach ratchet and tighten slightly leaving enough slack so packers can be placed under sharp edges. Then return to ratchet roll up any extra and secure under strap and tighten.

Return to other side and pull strap out a bit if to slack then return to ratchet side and tighten if needed.

I have chucked the hook end over in extreme conditions though.

Never roll strap and ratchet together for storage as this is just lazy and always keep your ratchets well lubed.

Could I please marked on my carryfast impression for this post.

Why is it I’m thinking dozy doesn’t coil his straps and try’s to fling it over like he is trying to rustle a horse :laughing:

dozy:
How do you get the straps up and over the high stuff, porta cabins , modular buildings etc , more so when your parked next to tris , I just can get the technique, now getting problems with shoulders ( maybe old injuries +age ) , I end up with more straps comming down on me or near me than up and over the top , think the problem is I’m having to chuck up 8/12 straps to get the 4 over that I need , which is taking toll on shoulders / back etc .
Normal height stuff I’m fine with , or if I’ve room to stand back and throw over , not up and over
How do lads who transport pallets get on , there highish , but I guess parked normally in middle of yard its throw over , not up and ovet. Ta
Nb go away nodding donkey , I’m after some genuine advice , as left shoulder I’d that bad I’m struggling to drive , not your normal tripe

If you put your can of cider down and use both hands you’ll find it works better Ady. :smiley:

Buy yourself a step ladder Dozy, saves looking like a ■■■■ trying to fight the wind.

I don’t need to worry about chucking straps over my pallets anymore. My new trailer has got those ratchet straps that run on a cable and bungee system attached to the roof. Undo the the ratchets and the straps pull themselves back in.[emoji1]