Strange convoy m42 today

mikey-t:
Oh and nuclear convoys are usually one block Matt green colour and would avoid being so noticeable

When I was editing Trucking many years ago we had a driver who would photograph unusual/prototype vehicles andsend us the pics for publications.

One day, he saw what he thought was a prototype green Foden with a disguise kit on the cab and carrying some kind of ‘test load’ under a canvas sheet/tilt, accompanied by a number of vans and a recovery vehicle.

He photographed it, and was promptly surrounded by armed Royal Marines, who appeared from the vans.

It turned out to be a custom-built nuclear warhead carrier!

Used to go from Aldermaston up to Faslane, carrying the ‘bits that go bang’ for Polaris missiles.

Slightly off thread,anyone remember the armoured scania,s with containers[dark blue]iirc,they used to run out of the royal mint at Loughton with bank notes.
regards dave.

Torchwood that is mun!!

I suppose it could be police heading over to
Norn Iron for the parades.

More likely Torchwood though, Barroman was on
Radio 2 the other day see.

dafdave:
Slightly off thread,anyone remember the armoured scania,s with containers[dark blue]iirc,they used to run out of the royal mint at Loughton with bank notes.
regards dave.

Brinks Mat IIRC Dave

I used to trunk into Business Post’s Thatcham depot at night, often used to see the nuclear convoys running into Aldermaston, pretty sure Nuclear type vehicles have a purple light on them.

Surely one for the ex sas drivers on here could tell us what this is all about?

Saaamon:

PMSL

they could but then they would have to kill you afterwards :grimacing:

Saw them going up the M18 between J1 and J2 about 14.20. Got to say the police ■■■■■■ was a bit OTT. We’re not doing a bad job off tracking here any body else spot them.

Saaamon:

Now that Murfitts are long gone where do all the ex SAS drivers work these days?

="steptoe"Now that Murfitts are long gone where do all the ex SAS drivers work these days?

Maritime Security off the Horn of Africa!

Saaamon:

They have their minds wiped when they leave.

They can only remember the colour of the boathouse doors…and ‘the balcony’.

For anyone interested, here is a 7 minute youtube video of Nuclear Warheads being transported. its a good few years old now but you get the picture.

5thwheel:

dafdave:
regards dave.

Brinks Mat IIRC Dave

Cheers that’s the com. I was thinking of.
regards dave.

I don’t know why they don’t just use a standard looking tractor unit with a general haulage looking trailer. Nobody would notice another Palletways or UPN truck on the road.

Derf:
I used to trunk into Business Post’s Thatcham depot at night, often used to see the nuclear convoys running into Aldermaston, pretty sure Nuclear type vehicles have a purple light on them.

Can remember seeing convoys running up the M4 years ago.Usually consisted of half a dozen clapped out non reflective green Aec Marshalls,flanked buy the ob,a couple of mini busses and a fire engine.
Think they used to go to the"top secret base" which is signed as “works unit only” between Jcts 14 & 13.
Meanwhile,the dykes/tree huggers/rentamob were camped a few miles away at Greenham Common.

Suedehead:
Think they used to go to the"top secret base" which is signed as “works unit only” between Jcts 14 & 13.

That would be RAF Welford. (am I allowed to name it as I’ve not signed the Official Secrets Act? :wink: Not that secret if you drive along the A338 or the Newbury Road over the Ridgeway out of Wantage, as there are several signposts for it. :laughing:
Talking of armed convoys, what about the ancient blue Seddon Atkinson that used to do weapons transfer from Bicester garrison to RAF Brize Norton?

Suedehead:

That would be RAF Welford. (am I allowed to name it as I’ve not signed the Official Secrets Act? :wink: Not that secret if you drive along the A338 or the Newbury Road over the Ridgeway out of Wantage, as there are several signposts for it. :laughing:
Talking of armed convoys, what about the ancient blue Seddon Atkinson that used to do weapons transfer from Bicester garrison to RAF Brize Norton?

:
I think it was a better/stronger/beafier version of one of these…

From the makers:

patriot3.com/elevated-tactics-systems/mars

It’s probably just an American trailer tent they always have to be better