Stopped by VOSA

I recently saw a VOSA car trying to get between a truck and car. There was about a good cars distance between the two but the truck was not really having any of it and appeared to close the gap.
A question for all of you, I know we have to stop once they get in front of us, fair enough, but are we legaly bound to let the VOSA car get between us or can we simply ignore them and carry on as though there are not there■■? Any else had a similar experience.

this should be a good thread, can’t wait for the answes :smiley: :smiley:

WELCOME thespecial1
Safety question - At what speed was this incident occuring ?

Legal question - I wonder if this would be an offence under - deliberately preventing an official from carrying out their duties - or something similar ■■?

i saw this on the m1 the other week[ but it was a cop car not vosa] ,when he finally got indetween the truck he wanted and the truck in front of it, it did make me laugh when the truck in front pulled onto the hard shoulder[guilty conscience or what], and cop car and truck behind carried on into services . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if he pulls in front, and makes the situation dangerous. pull into the middle lane, when he goes into the middle, you go back to the first. if he carries on being a ■■■, then stop on the hard shoulder. make a complaint to vosa hq. you will need to address the letter to heir gerring.

I realise it was something you saw, rather than were involved in.

But the situation you describe does beg at least one question, and of course would depend on the actual situation at any given time within the 20 or 30 seconds involved.

I can’t help but think that if VOSA or Plod - or anyone else really (other than complete numpty last minute suicide jockeys) are "struggling to get between two vehicles, then surely the one that will become third is far too close to the one in front ?

dambuster:

But the situation you describe does beg at least one question, and of course would depend on the actual situation at any given time within the 20 or 30 seconds involved.

I can’t help but think that if VOSA or Plod - or anyone else really (other than complete numpty last minute suicide jockeys) are "struggling to get between two vehicles, then surely the one that will become third is far too close to the one in front ?

Wrong because if you’ve left the correct distance between you and the wagon in front it’s obvious that if someone wants to come in between each vehicle then that distance will have to be increased to allow that same amount of distance between the first,second,and then third vehicles which will take time if no one wants to alter speed sharply.

Maybe VOSA and the plod should drive beamers, as they seem to fit into any size space between trucks on their journey from outside lane to off ramp:D

Carryfast:

dambuster:

Wrong because if you’ve left the correct distance between you and the wagon in front it’s obvious that if someone wants to come in between each vehicle then that distance will have to be increased to allow that same amount of distance between the first,second,and then third vehicles which will take time if no one wants to alter speed sharply.

Eh ■■?

There’s a truck driving down a road, behind a car. A people carrier wants/needs to get in, between the two.

I’m saying that if “VOSA” can’t get in, then the truck is far too close to the car in front.

You seem to be saying that’s wrong because if the truck had maintained the correct distance, that distance would need to be increased ■■? (Albeit before the incoming vehicle can begin it’s manoeuvre)

Hat,coat,taxi.

thespecial1:
I recently saw a VOSA car trying to get between a truck and car. There was about a good cars distance between the two but the truck was not really having any of it and appeared to close the gap.
A question for all of you, I know we have to stop once they get in front of us, fair enough, but are we legaly bound to let the VOSA car get between us or can we simply ignore them and carry on as though there are not there■■? Any else had a similar experience.

wasnt your truck was it :question: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing:

thespecial1:

Just to clarify, it was not my truck and the speed wad around the usual 55ish mph. My own opinion; the truck was to close to the car any way, if it was me then it would seem fairly obvious what the VOSA car wanted and I would have just simply backed off and let him in. If you aint got nothing to hide then why resist, after all they are, I suppose only trying to a job which I believe to be worthwhile if it gets rid of the cowboys off the roads.

dambuster:

Carryfast:

dambuster:

Eh ■■?

There’s a truck driving down a road, behind a car. A people carrier wants/needs to get in, between the two.

I’m saying that if “VOSA” can’t get in, then the truck is far too close to the car in front.

You seem to be saying that’s wrong because if the truck had maintained the correct distance, that distance would need to be increased ■■? (Albeit before the incoming vehicle can begin it’s manoeuvre)

What I’m saying is
If a truck is following another vehicle at the correct seperation distance and then someone wants to change lanes and get in between the two vehicles then that seperation distance will need to be increased BEFORE the vehicle which wants to come into the space between the two vehicles makes the manouevre in order to allow a correct seperation between vehicles 1,2,and 3 after the lane change has been completed because if the car moves into the seperation distance between vehicles 1 and 2 without that gap having been increased to the correct seperation distance first then obviously vehicle 2 would be too close to vehicle 1 and vehicle 3 would be too close to vehicle 2 and what happens if all three vehicles then have to make an emergency stop imediately after the lane change?.Unless I’ve read it all wrong that would be the issue in this case?.It’s one for Rog to sort out.

Carryfast:
What I’m saying is
If a truck is following another vehicle at the correct seperation distance and then someone wants to change lanes and get in between the two vehicles then that seperation distance will need to be increased BEFORE the vehicle which wants to come into the space between the two vehicles makes the manouevre in order to allow a correct seperation between vehicles 1,2,and 3 after the lane change has been completed because if the car moves into the seperation distance between vehicles 1 and 2 without that gap having been increased to the correct seperation distance first then obviously vehicle 2 would be too close to vehicle 1 and vehicle 3 would be too close to vehicle 2 and what happens if all three vehicles then have to make an emergency stop imediately after the lane change?.Unless I’ve read it all wrong that would be the issue in this case?.It’s one for Rog to sort out.

You description above is correct.

I’m GUESSING that the VOSA vehicle was determined to get in front of the truck and put that before safety.

Police traffic are the only ones TRAINED to do this type of stop when safety gaps are compromised.

ROG:

Carryfast:
What I’m saying is

You description above is correct.

I’m GUESSING that the VOSA vehicle was determined to get in front of the truck and put that before safety.

Police traffic are the only ones TRAINED to do this type of stop when safety gaps are compromised.

One more thing Rog was’nt there some information put out some time ago saying that any stops required by the police will be made from behind the target vehicle not in front?.

Carryfast:
One more thing Rog was’nt there some information put out some time ago saying that any stops required by the police will be made from behind the target vehicle not in front?.

For stopping interior rear view mirror type vehicles - yes

If the cops have a another in the passenger seat then the preferred method is to get to the side of a truck and wave them in and then stop behind them in the ‘fend off’ position

ROG:
If the cops have a another in the passenger seat then the preferred method is to get to the side of a truck and wave them in and then stop behind them in the ‘fend off’ position

Seconded. IME too, they’re quite happy to follow you for some distance until you get to a spot you deem safe enough unlike cars where they’ll usually ask why you didn’t stop earlier.