Stopped by old bill

cliff, i have to agree, i think this site is turning into something its not meant to be.

paul

Cheers Paul…the fiver is already in the mail :wink: :laughing:

flatbedman:
i think this site is turning into something its not meant to be.

On the contrary, Paul…this site is exactly what it’s meant to be…which is what the members make it!!! :sunglasses:

We just provide the Forums and a set of basic rules, beyond that it’s up to YOU, THE MEMBERS to decide what happens after that… :wink:

The result is a set of views which is just as diverse as the industry with which we are all connected…and that is what has made TruckNet UK the success that it is. :grimacing:

We don’t have an agenda here, except to do what it says on the tin - be “By Drivers, For Drivers”…a maxim which goes back to the earliest days of the internet in the UK, and Anna Sharpe’s UK Truck Drivers website, which is one of the sites we evolved from. :wink:

here here lucy,as you have said everyone of us has an opinion may it be different from each other,but that is the idea of these forums and of trucknet.because i or another driver has an opinion, it does not mean that i am right nor wrong,this applies to everyone.it just form’s a balance where you can get a opinion from drivers world wide and you can take from it what you wish.weather you agree with what you read is a different matter,if they don’t want views or opinions then don’t post the question.simple as that :wink:

Very wise words from Lucy. Rather like the 5th ammendment… Don’t [zb]on yourself. Which brings me rather nicely around to my point. Drivers are scared of bringing real issues to this forum because they are worried about the consequenses of writing thier experiences, just in case they incriminate themselves. A rather convineint confession for anyone who happens to visit the site. What can be done about that??

A lot of drivers will know the cops arent always right,and as sure some guys know they have been took to the court house for no reason other than the cops didnt like the atitude of said driver only to walk away with no blemish and a days pay short,not directly to the original post but near enough.Froggy.

froggy:
Glad to see the idiots got here first with their advice to a fellow driver,the object in the road that made you sewerve(sorry cant spell)was it a dog or something that would of made the truck uncontrolable so that you had to go on the "curb"get the pics off the cops if you want to contest it and if does not show what was/is in front of your rig tell them to ******* :smiley: :smiley: ,froggy

You won’t mind then if a “fellow driver” drops his lorry on top of you and yours? I’ve done this myself(not intentionally)and when a vehicle reaches that point of starting to lift it takes very little to tip it over then.Since I passed my HGV test I’ve received NOTHING in the way of training even when I worked for the biggest,it’s all been through experience and that can be a hard way to learn.On occasion,it’s only been by the grace of God things haven’t turned nasty.I did a job recently on a brick carrier,hadn’t done the work before but knew I had to treat the load with respect.On this occasion the bricks were on the bed of the trailer i went to the a service area,met up with one of their drivers who was going to off load me (I wasn’t able to use the Hi-ab).On the way down to the job this driver told me that if the bricks were on pallets I’d have to take it more slowly than i was doing then.So I learned something before I did the job and I was thankful for the LUCK in getting a driver who was prepared to point out the danger to me and also for not getting a pallet load first time out.Now,I wasn’t there when doxs mate got nicked but the plods were.I don’t like getting a ticket any more than any more than anybody else.But we as citizens through our taxes employ the police to serve and protect usfrom all manner of things.Can’t have it both ways,nicking everyone else for wrong doing but not Doxs mate 'cos he’s a “fellow driver”.If he did wrong,then he’s in the wrong.If he says he didn’t do wrong then plead not guilty and argue his corner.

You’re preaching to the converted there tartan, insofar as we all learn stuff on the job, however, I think the point that has really caused contention here, is the fact that as soon as a driver puts a post up asking for help, or as soon as a driver shows some lack of knowledge, a number of members respond in a way that really is not helpful, and this will deter people from revisiting the site and asking really important questions in the future that will benefit everyone! I totally agree with what Cliff said earlier about throwing stones at glass houses. Yes we all make mistakes, and thankfully not all of them end up with injury or worse, but how can new members ask for help if they see the ‘I told you so’ brigade tramping straight in on their chariots of unblemished chargers? EVERYONE makes mistakes, and contrary to the mismatched vocations of some people on here, we are niether the Poilce nor the Courts. Can’t we all be a bit more supportive rather than being so predictively opinionated?

You up late as well Tel?

check your messages

Tartan,you are a bigger threat to road users,you take on jobs you know nowt about,and when you tip you cant do that either.YES the coppers are bent and they think they know best all the time,most of the time they dont even know the law ie one(zb) :slight_smile: said that he needs all the weeks tachos and if I didnt have them he would do me(zb) the ministry can ask for them but NOT the cops they need a warrant if you dont want to be nice,but they can ask for the current days tacho,sure some do gooder can give chapter and verse. :confused: :confused: Not to mention the one who said I need to arrest you so I say ok you do it just to be nice like you do,he would not because sometimes they are full of,a little knowledge is a strange thing.

I too got stopped today…just a routine check…told them i had just buried the wife in the garden…said they will be round at the weekend to dig it up…the garden that is…looks like ill be down the pub now ive got no gardening to do
:laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

froggy:
Tartan,you are a bigger threat to road users,

how so exactly?

you take on jobs you know nowt about,

hadn’t done bricks before but I’ve been driving for a living for 20 years,no major accidents (touch wood!)wasn’t familiar with the load but knew from keeping my ears and eyes open it was a load to treat with respect took the load ,delivered it and nothing fell off the lorry job done what’s your problem?

and when you tip you cant do that either.

No, I can’t use a Hiab,they knew that when they asked me to go work for them for the day and that is why I teamed up with one of their drivers.Enquiries I’ve made about Hiab training so far seems to show it’s just enough to get you a certificate to go and work.After that everything is down to the blokes attitude.If he thinks he’s the mutts nuts after a 1 day course then there’s trouble ahead.I myself am safety concsious,I want to get home in one bit after a days graft and I certainly don’t want to hurt anyone else I meet that day.One of the points I was trying to make and it may not have come across is how many employers are unwilling to train their staff properly and are leaving it up to individual drivers and private companies,not all of them working to the highest standards.The quote should be “a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing” in that I agree with you.

truckyboy nice one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tartan,luck, whats that got do do with anything,like you say if the other driver had set off before ,and you took it a bit to quick where would your load ended up??having said that you say you`ve been driving a while if you secured your load in the first place it would be safe and you could drive like you were taught,froggy :unamused: :unamused:

On this occasion the bricks were on the bed of the trailer

.On the way down to the job this driver told me that if the bricks were on pallets I’d have to take it more slowly than i was doing then.

If you read the post properly Froggy you’ll see what I’m getting at.The load was secured as instructed by guys with decades if experience on the job along with the advice to mind your speed when cornering/on roundabouts etc and watch for bad cambers.That much I understood anyway from my own experience,the luck was if I’d taken a palletised load after that I might not have made enough allowance with that load 'cos that type of load moves a bit more on the trailer bed.I was thankful for the advice from the other driver and yet again learned something valuable.When I started out I knew nothing and when I retire i won’t know everything,my point is that the way things are too many drivers are not being properly trained before they go out on the road

See your point,but if you have lgv(to old folks like me hgv)you can drive on the road,employers see only the fact that can drive and leave the rest to the driver.,another thing what training did you have in mind?

ie one(zb) said that he needs all the weeks tachos and if I didnt have them he would do me(zb) the ministry can ask for them but NOT the cops they need a warrant

Unless you are a member of the funny handshake brigade I think you will find if you only have one card you will get nicked.

Why would the police need a warrant?

You must carry all the cards for the current week plus the last card of the previous week

Paul:
This site is rapidly turning into something it’s not meant to be

Too many do-gooders on the forum that’s why newbies and even old-hands don’t want to share experiences because the do-good brigade will be out in force finding fault.

The only thing that’s a complete no-no to me imho, is drivers who deliberately exceed their driving time, spread over & rest periods on a frequent basis like it’s okay to do and I’ll air my opinions on it if I see such a thread [zb] Other than that I’ll hold me hand up and say I’m as guilty as the next one with regards just about anything else :smiling_imp: .

Perhaps the removal of the word “PROFESSIONAL” from the forum header might stop scaring them away :question: :sunglasses:

(Edited by AndyM - bordering on personal attack)

Rob K:
The only thing that’s a complete no-no to me imho,

Thats it!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

We all have diferent “imho”. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Nowt to do with do-googers or law brakers.
We all think in a diferant way

I am not so sure they are really arguments! just diferant opinions

I agree with Rob on quite a few things :confused: :wink:
But i am not gonna get soft and tell him that!

I disagree with rob an a few things also :open_mouth:
Should I tell him :question: darn right I will :smiley:

Lovey dovey things should be posted on

WWW. Iloveyouandeverythingyousayisright.com

Come on people post something wrong so I can correct you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: