Stop the cab rocking

i im a new tramper, been doing it for 4 weeks now get to travel all over the country and i think its great apart from when i ended up in scotland monday this week, boy they know how to take the [zb], i park up in laybys sometimes and was wondering if there was a certain way of parking to lessen the affect of rocking by passing traffic or do i just have to get used to it chers

Depends what type of lay by you park in? I always look out for the deep lay bys as oppose to them thin ones where your dorr mirror is more or less right beside the road and some numpty ends up taking it off… Or if you cant get a decent big lay by always pull my unit in a bit as if I were turning left and keep it at an angle.

I never park in a narrow lay-by next to the road unless its absolutely the last resort.
Always try to find one with a dividing reservation.

Ive been known to go over my driving time to find a suitable SAFE ■■■■■■■■■■■■.

I read somewhere a long time back that it is illegal to park overnight in a narrow layby alongside the carraigeway, is this right or another MMTM myth??

toowise:
I read somewhere a long time back that it is illegal to park overnight in a narrow layby alongside the carraigeway, is this right or another MMTM myth??

If there is no reservation between you and the main carriageway you MUST have your lights on.

Don’t know the highway code ruling or the police prosecution etc but it is a fact cus my mate got done for leaving his car :open_mouth: :open_mouth: during the hours of darkness.

Que Rog :smiley:

Or do what I do avoid lay bys, find an industrial estate on edge of town, go for a pint, then a chippy, get some social life out of the job, I spend enough time in cab during day, without spending evenings in there watching traffic go by like Billy Nomates. If we all refused to be forced to stay in lay-bys, or better still banned from them, the authoroties would have to provide proper parking with facilities, but yeh I know, it wont happen. ( Before the self righteous among us start, I said go for a pint, not go and get p****d)

robroy:
Or do what I do avoid lay bys, find an industrial estate on edge of town, go for a pint, then a chippy, get some social life out of the job, I spend enough time in cab during day, without spending evenings in there watching traffic go by like Billy Nomates. If we all refused to be forced to stay in lay-bys, or better still banned from them, the authoroties would have to provide proper parking with facilities, but yeh I know, it wont happen. ( Before the self righteous among us start, I said go for a pint, not go and get p****d)

I agree 100% but I’d like to add that some nights I just want my own company. Easy or hard day, sometimes I just want to chill and come on here - like now :smiley: :smiley:

Tomorrow I may fancy some company and will park accordingly :wink: pub, meal, walk depends where I am but I guarantee the park up place will be my preference.

Hi i know what you are asking - the best way to minimise the rocking is to drop the air out of the rear suspension - and try to angle the cab in and away from the road -
Its not illegal to park in a non cordened lay by unless you are carrying hazardous goods - neither do you have to have your lights on unless you are actually parked on the road - this includes industrial estates - the rules are quite complex but if you are parked next to a street light you don’t need side markers
cheers
Steve

you can wind your legs on trailer down and dump the that works just dont forget to wind them back up

Don’t pull it so hard then, just use gentle strokes & the cab won’t rock at all :open_mouth: :laughing: :sunglasses: :wink:

newmercman:
Don’t pull it so hard then, just use gentle strokes & the cab won’t rock at all :open_mouth: :laughing: :sunglasses: :wink:

I had wondered how long it would take for that one to appear :laughing: :laughing:

About 15 years ago, I was heading up the A1. The road was quiet , at 3.30 am, and in order to avoid doing what the OP is on about, I used to move over into the usually empty R/H Lane, whenever I passed a parked up HGV in a roadside layby. ( I would have been awarded News of the World "Knight of the Road " :blush: :blush: status in the 1960,s for my Considerate Driving.-- If you don,t know what that was, then Rog or some other Golden Oldie will explain-- :sunglasses: :sunglasses: ).
I had noticed a car which had arrived about 400 yards behind me, and was wondering why it had,nt overtaken . Then, as I had just finished the same manouevre, as I passed a layby near Catterick Camp, the phone rang. It was the Night TM.Asking me if I was OK. He informed me that a member of the public,–( the :smiling_imp: zb in the car), using the phone number xxxxx37915 which was on the back doors —, had contacted them and informed them that one of their drivers was falling asleep , and swerving all over the road. I told him to contact the ■■■■ back and explain to the muppett, who should have noticed that I only ever did it as I passed a layby with a waggon parked in it, during the 3to4 miles that he /she said that they had been observing me, and explain . Which he must have done. As shortly the car accelerated and went by me. I gave him/her the full air-horn and headlight treatment as they passed. :angry: :angry: .
I never bothered doing the Robbo Swerve any more. So I apologise to all those drivers who I shook out of bed, as I roared past as they tried to do Bo-Bo,s .Or as NMM suggests, were having a Hand Shandy as they thought about Brigitte Bardot:lol: :laughing:

newmercman:

When its rocking …don`t come knocking :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gm:
Hi i know what you are asking - the best way to minimise the rocking is to drop the air out of the rear suspension - and try to angle the cab in and away from the road -
Its not illegal to park in a non cordened lay by unless you are carrying hazardous goods - neither do you have to have your lights on unless you are actually parked on the road - this includes industrial estates - the rules are quite complex but if you are parked next to a street light you don’t need side markers
cheers
Steve

More trucker’s myth. Where do they get them from?

A non divided lay-by is part of the highway. The same rules also apply to industrial estates, unless it is privately owned & entry is controlled.

Highway Code Rule 250:
Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are
At least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
In a recognised parking place or lay-by
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

Isn’t that what i just said - you arn’t going to park on anything other than a 30 limit road unless you are in a designated layby because that would be suicide and i have yet to find an industrial estate with a national speed limit
cheers
Steve

gm, with the greatest of respect, but i think you need to read it again - carefully.

Driveroneuk:

gm:
cheers
Steve

More trucker’s myth. Where do they get them from?

A non divided lay-by is part of the highway. The same rules also apply to industrial estates, unless it is privately owned & entry is controlled.

Highway Code Rule 250:
Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are
At least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
In a recognised parking place or lay-by
**Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.[/**b]
[/quote]
It is legal to park without light in a layby above 30mph zone,but ilegal at 30mph or lower i know cos i got a ticket in a designated parking space in a 30mph zone with no lights

Some of you really don’t seem to be getting this. Basically anything bigger than a Transit MUST be lit when parked on a road during the hours of darkness irrespective of any speed limit. A lay-by is part of the road unless there is a physical divide.

Driveroneuk:
Basically anything bigger than a Transit MUST be lit when parked on a road during the hours of darkness irrespective of any speed limit. A lay-by is part of the road unless there is a physical divide.

I would just add a little to that …

Basically anything bigger than a Transit MUST be with the flow of traffic and lit when parked on a road during the hours of darkness irrespective of any speed limit. A lay-by is part of the road unless there is a physical divide

Next time you’re in roadworks and there’s no ■■■■ behind you, quickly stop and nick a flashing cone light. Sit it at the back of the trailer at night and you’re sorted :laughing:

Ooh and did you know if you nick a load of them they all talk to each other and flash one by one in time rather than all at once? :smiling_imp:

Strictly MMTM you understand :laughing:

Being a new tramper Bazzer1965 its going to be a bit difficult at first, but keep your eyes open at where ever you go where ever you tip, towns you pass through and truckstops and cafes.
I’ve been tramping 21yrs now and only ever parked in a " pull ya mirrors in layby " twice and soon learnt my lesson.
there,s plenty of places ind’ est, car parks where buissnesses have gone home at 5 and won’t be back til 8am, industrial side streets, buissness pks and some good laybys with a verge in the middle that are adequate, like i say mate just keep your eyes open.
Most towns how ever small have an industrial part just be adventurous, adds excitement to the job.
Good luck :grimacing:

bazza1965:
i im a new tramper, been doing it for 4 weeks now get to travel all over the country and i think its great apart from when i ended up in scotland monday this week, boy they know how to take the [zb], i park up in laybys sometimes and was wondering if there was a certain way of parking to lessen the affect of rocking by passing traffic or do i just have to get used to it chers

I got certain way of parking to avoid it. I usually turn into some quiet back road and park there :smiley: