Stoneridge Tacho - Setting for VDO (countup) style

Until driving Scania I used VDO tachos which I got used to. I never liked the ‘countdown’ mode that they introduced. [I think Stoneridge Tachos are now being put in other makes]. This post is for anyone who like me prefers ‘countup’ on the driving hours.

The countdown mode is called ‘DDS Presentation’. (DDS is Driver Decision Support) which is enabled by default. Fine if you like it - I don’t. All that is necessary is to disable it in Settings.

• Press OK (as if to do a printout)
  • Press ‘down arrow’ twice - SETTINGS is displayed
  • Press OK and DDS ENABLE is displayed
  • Press OK and then select OFF
  • Press OK and then EXIT button

All done (just reset it after your shift if you share a truck… in my case I have my own truck and just put up a notice that DDS is set to OFF) VDO mode.

I find it particularly useful whilst driving to do another down arrow and one gets the DT and CDT (below) permanently displayed for the day. I like that v.much as i don’t have to stop to check the CDT as I used to.

Hope this is of interest.

Will try and remember this. I haven’t encountered it yet as mine counts up. I think counting down would be more stressful rather than the sense of achievement gained from counting up.

Each to their own etc…but I don`t see any issues with the standard settings?
What am I missing here?

The display whilst driving tells how long you have until you need a break or rest. It takes account of 4-30 drive time, 6-00 duty, and the need for a daily rest.
Knowing I have done 7hrs driving today isn`t as important as knowing I came on the card 14hrs ago is it?

Franglais:
What am I missing here?

The display whilst driving tells how long you have until you need a break or rest. It takes account of 4-30 drive time, 6-00 duty, and the need for a daily rest.
Knowing I have done 7hrs driving today isn`t as important as knowing I came on the card 14hrs ago is it?

Ive driven something a while ago that had a countdown style main display. Just causes you to double take the figures if it’s showing 01:30 and you realise its an hour and a half left (before break) not time driven.

I would imagine the info shown on the dash display reverts to the more traditional style regardless.

BTW I can’t recall a tacho warning me of a 6hr duty pending infringement, I usually realize a little too late in the shift or when signing the form!!

njl:
BTW I can’t recall a tacho warning me of a 6hr duty pending infringement, I usually realize a little too late in the shift or when signing the form!!

On a Stoneridge with countdown display, as an example,
Start 06hrs00 and on duty until 10hrs00.
Start driving and the display will show only 2.00hrs driving remaining…
Only a 15 necessary, but it is needed.
Who does 6hrs with no break etc etc… but stuff happens.
I don`t get into such positions regularly but it has happened, and it works as a good heads up.

Franglais:
What am I missing here?

You’ve been fortunate enough to miss this which I have had in several trucks first thing in the morning

IMG_20210829_062942.jpg

instead of this

IMG_20210830_052830.jpg

I much prefer to have the tacho for driving hours and my notebook for working time. The DDS has a fault in it’s design somewhere which I haven’t got to the bottom of yet.

I wanted to change to a VDO style which I like and didn’t know if it was possible with a Stoneridge (which I think I being fitted on more makes of trucks now as I said earlier).

Along with the benefit of having the display give DT and CDT beneath.

If you want the countdown and are happy with it FINE. I posted this wondering if there were folk like myself who would like to retain VDO style with a Stoneridge. Each to their own!

jessejazza:
If you want the countdown and are happy with it FINE. I posted this wondering if there were folk like myself who would like to retain VDO style with a Stoneridge. Each to their own!

Quite right.
And its good youve taken the time to explain how to do summat.

But, and sorry if me being thick is upsetting you, but what are you gaining?
If I`m missing summat I wanna know.

Franglais:
What am I missing here?

It’s good to have a choice.

Franglais:

jessejazza:

Quite right.

I’m using a Tacho the way I LIKE IT - ascending hours. I don’t have the DDS giving me incorrect working time (which it has done several times)… or DT as shown in the pic. It’s a fault with the display and overcome by pressing a down arrow (but only lasts for about 2 mins and then reverts back).

I USE the display I LIKE which is countup hours and GAIN continuous CDT below. WT I just keep in my head (or sideways glance at my notebook). With countdown or ‘DDS enabled’ I found I had to STOP to get the CDT. As I said before one can choose.

I’m a tramper and constant display of CDT is useful to me given that I am often over 14 hrs/<9 or 9-10 CDT or close to 13 hrs.

stu675:

Franglais:
What am I missing here?

It’s good to have a choice.

Yes, it certainly is.
And I asked about this, (note the use of ?) to see if this was a better choice for me.

jessejazza:

Franglais:

jessejazza:

Quite right.

I’m using a Tacho the way I LIKE IT - ascending hours. I don’t have the DDS giving me incorrect working time (which it has done several times)… or DT as shown in the pic. It’s a fault with the display and overcome by pressing a down arrow (but only lasts for about 2 mins and then reverts back).

I USE the display I LIKE which is countup hours and GAIN continuous CDT below. WT I just keep in my head (or sideways glance at my notebook). With countdown or ‘DDS enabled’ I found I had to STOP to get the CDT. As I said before one can choose.

I’m a tramper and constant display of CDT is useful to me given that I am often over 14 hrs/<9 or 9-10 CDT or close to 13 hrs.

Thanks for the reply.
Yep, I think I can see what you`re saying now.

njl:

Franglais:
What am I missing here?

Ive driven something a while ago that had a countdown style main display. Just causes you to double take the figures if it’s showing 01:30 and you realise its an hour and a half left (before break) not time driven.

I would imagine the info shown on the dash display reverts to the more traditional style regardless.

My 2018 TGX stone ridge did , it would have the countdown and crossed hammers plus the amount of break needed
Why is it soo hard for you lot

blue estate:

njl:

Franglais:
What am I missing here?

My 2018 TGX stone ridge did , it would have the countdown and crossed hammers plus the amount of break needed
Why is it soo hard for you lot

Hmm… “always someone somewhere” that likes to be cynical.

I posted this for the benefit of anyone like myself who would like to HAVE DT and CDT constantly displayed… that’s what the tacho is for. WT one can keep in the head or jot down in the notebook just to be on the safe side.