Stoneridge tacho question

Hie I hope someone can help with this question. I used to have a vehicle with a Siemens tacho. At the bottom of the printout where it summarises your totals for the day it would show how much break I had for the whole day. Now I am in a Stoneridge tacho vehicle and the printout doesn’t show the total break for the day at the bottom of the tacho. Instead it shows a figure like 5hr 42 for example and there usually is a question mark next to this figure. I will post a picture of my printout tomorrow if it helps explain the question better. Thanks in advance for your help on this one.

It does show your total break and rest for the day at the bottom of the print out.

F-reds:
It does show your total break and rest for the day at the bottom of the print out.

I’m sure it doesn’t F-reds, will post a pic tomorrow

According to the manual the summary does show the total break for the shift.

Screenshot (65).jpg

The 5h 42 with a question mark is normally the time that is unaccounted for on your card since midnight - meaning you started work at 5:42?

Most printouts show all the info for your day regardless of tacho unit used

m1cks:
The 5h 42 with a question mark is normally the time that is unaccounted for on your card since midnight - meaning you started work at 5:42?

Exactly so. If you do a manual entry to cover your time not spent on shift, the ? will be show 00:00

I can do you a Stoneridge printout that does show the total for break and rest if you like…

Thanks for the replies guys. Here is a printout for today. Notice at the bottom the break time says 5hr 28. I have had only 27 min break at time of picture. When i put my card in the morning and it asks me," rest until now?" i usually press yes so i dont think i have unaccounted time. Micks said maybe its the time i started work but in this case i started at 06:00hrs

Newbie7064:
Thanks for the replies guys. Here is a printout for today. Notice at the bottom the break time says 5hr 28. I have had only 27 min break at time of picture. When i put my card in the morning and it asks me," rest until now?" i usually press yes so i dont think i have unaccounted time. Micks said maybe its the time i started work but in this case i started at 06:00hrs

Newbie7064:

Remember we’re using BST and the tacho will still be UTC time so you have registered 5 hours 1 minute rest before inserting your card (midnight to 05:01 UTC when you inserted your card) the the next 27 minutes is where you have selected rest during your shift.
If you didn’t select ‘rest until now’ and made a manual entry when inserting your card then instead of the rest symbol the 5 hours 1 minute would be recorded as a ? Instead (providing you used this mode when doing the manual entry)

m1cks:

Newbie7064:

Remember we’re using BST and the tacho will still be UTC time so you have registered 5 hours 1 minute rest before inserting your card (midnight to 05:01 UTC when you inserted your card) the the next 27 minutes is where you have selected rest during your shift.
If you didn’t select ‘rest until now’ and made a manual entry when inserting your card then instead of the rest symbol the 5 hours 1 minute would be recorded as a ? Instead (providing you used this mode when doing the manual entry)

Thanks Micks, I totally get it now. Can’t believe it was as simple as that yet here I was thinking the tachograph was broken :smiley:

F-reds:

m1cks:

Exactly so. If you do a manual entry to cover your time not spent on shift, the ? will be show 00:00

Newbie7064:

You have registered rest from Midnight until 0501 utc, by selecting YES on the rest untl now screen. If you look at your printout, the ? is against 0000, this means you have no unaccounted for time.

I think a lot of people don’t realise these print outs are midnight to midnight - so this print out shows the rest you’ve had since midnight. The other part of that rest period will be on a print out for the previous date.

shep532:
I think a lot of people don’t realise these print outs are midnight to midnight - so this print out shows the rest you’ve had since midnight. The other part of that rest period will be on a print out for the previous date.

I over heard our compliance guy, trying to explain to a driver about a 24hr day, as in the driver had done four 9 hr breaks, but was insisting that he’d only had two 9 hr breaks that week, not understanding that to exceed 13 hr duty renders an 11hr break out the window. Said driver and me walked out the office together, and he started moaning to me, that the compliance guy didn’t have a clue, because he had never been a driver, I tried to explain aswel, but he just couldn’t get it :unamused: .

No doubt when he did drivers hours during the CPC, he just went to sleep, and no doubt, if a newbie asked his advice, he’d spout of his version of the rules :unamused:

eddie snax:

shep532:

I over heard our compliance guy, trying to explain to a driver about a 24hr day, as in the driver had done four 9 hr breaks, but was insisting that he’d only had two 9 hr breaks that week, not understanding that to exceed 13 hr duty renders an 11hr break out the window. Said driver and me walked out the office together, and he started moaning to me, that the compliance guy didn’t have a clue, because he had never been a driver, I tried to explain aswel, but he just couldn’t get it :unamused: .

No doubt when he did drivers hours during the CPC, he just went to sleep, and no doubt, if a newbie asked his advice, he’d spout of his version of the rules :unamused:

I find this particular item one of the hardest to get across during DCPC. I generally explain the rules for regular and reduced rest making sure I explain what a day actually is and that the full rest period must be within that 24h day. I ask if anyone has any questions and more often than not there aren’t any.

I then show the following example;
Driver starts 03:00. Finishes 17:00. Starts next shift 04:00 - And ask how much rest has the driver had.
8 out of 10 say 11 hours of rest.
I then tell them it is only 10 hours and watch as people start counting their fingers and repeating that it is 11 hours from 17:00 to 04:00.
We then spend about 20 minutes explaining and using lots of different examples. there are lots arguing that although he worked a 14 hour duty period he still had 11 hours off and some even say the DVSA would take that into account . . . . . yeah alright - sure they would :unamused:

I then give the drivers a set of start times and finish times for a drivers 28 days of records and ask them to work out the daily rest for each ‘working week’ (between weekly rests) and whether or not the driver has broken the rules. 6 out of 10 get it wrong because they still do not understand the 24 hour day and in all honesty getting it across to those 6 out of 10 seems almost impossible no matter what way round I try to do it.

The rules really do need looking at and simplifying

shep532:
Driver starts 03:00. Finishes 17:00. Starts next shift 04:00 - And ask how much rest has the driver had.

But if that’s exactly how the question is phrased they’re right, in the example the driver has had 11 hours rest, only 10 hours will count towards the daily rest period but they’ve still had 11 hours rest :wink:

shep532:
The rules really do need looking at and simplifying

Agree with you one hundred percent.

I like to think of myself as of average intelligence, at least that is what my Mum always told me, but the rules for drivers hours are so complex it’s unreal.

It’s crazy to have a set of regulations so complicated, that the guys providing the training are often wrong. It’s doubly crazy to have the people using the rules, untested in any way, and then fine them for getting them wrong…

tachograph:

shep532:

But if that’s exactly how the question is phrased they’re right, in the example the driver has had 11 hours rest, only 10 hours will count towards the daily rest period but they’ve still had 11 hours rest :wink:

Behave, the guy is explaining drivers hours rules to grown men, not setting GCSE maths for a bunch of spotty year 11’s.