Stoneridge tacho and infringement

Ahhh… having a bit of a nightmare here. A couple of weeks ago I accidentally left my tacho on other work all weekend, and picked up my first infringement. My bad, I did a printout and signed it with an explanation.
The tacho won’t let me forget it. The tacho light is always on and I’m getting constant “Weekly rest required immediately” reminders all day every day. Pressing OK just clears it until the next time the key is turned on.
If I drive the other truck with a non-Stoneridge tacho, everything is normal.

Every time I go on break it counts down from 24hr thinking I need a full day off. I’ve had two days off in a row since I made this mistake but it still persists. Our guy that deals with tacho stuff wasn’t familiar with Stoneridge, I ended up dropping by our tacho center and he didn’t know either, he checked the head unit for errors and there weren’t any. He said try doing manual entries to explicitly tell it that I’ve had rest all night rather than just taking my card out, but that still hasn’t fixed it yet. Said the Stoneridge software sometimes works in odd ways :frowning:

Has anyone else had anything similar and were able to fix it?

Modern Stoneridge do all the calcs for you, so i suspect it won’t stop telling you off until you’ve had a full weekend break, and it will probably be printing all sorts of codes on the bottom section of the print outs for the next few months.
I had similar bollockings from the head unit one day when i made a right balls up of my manual entry, in mitigation the bloody thing was in some EE indecipherable gobbledegook at first when i put me card in and that’s what threw me.

Two prints outs in future, explanations of what has happened on both and signed, give one to your company and keep the other in case of a pull…for the time being i’d get the one you did photocopied and let the office have the photocopy till you can hand over the original after 28 days (i think 28 is the period you should keep it available for inspection)
Unless you sail close to the wind or have regular infringments DVSA will soon see what you have done, a simple error which you hold your hands up to and are not trying to hide anything, it’s when you try to cover stuff up they take umbrage, mistakes? well we all make them.

Juddian:
I had similar bollockings from the head unit one day when i made a right balls up of my manual entry, in mitigation the bloody thing was in some EE indecipherable gobbledegook at first when i put me card in and that’s what threw me.

Eh? When you switched on the ignition it will have shown the “EE indecipherable gobbledegook” translation of “Card!” or “Driving Without Card” (depending on whether or not the vehicle has been driven since Stanislav ejected his card). Once you put your own card in, the thing defaults to your preferred language. Your plea of mitigation is not accepted :slight_smile:

Roymondo:
the thing defaults to your preferred language.

Surely that…

Depends on the model? Older types left you stranded in Romanian, Polish or Klingon.

Erm… shouldn’t that. Not happen if you start your day with a proper manual entry… eg card goes in, asks for manual entry, yes. Enter day previous out time on bed to today’s start time on rest, then change mode switch to other work, Daily/weekly rest is satisfied on tacho… Or is it only Volvo’s which make sense.

biggriffin:
Erm… shouldn’t that. Not happen if you start your day with a proper manual entry… eg card goes in, asks for manual entry, yes. Enter day previous out time on bed to today’s start time on rest, then change mode switch to other work, Daily/weekly rest is satisfied on tacho… Or is it only Volvo’s which make sense.

I think the clue is where he said he left it on Work (presumably with the card in) all weekend.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Juddian:
Two prints outs in future, explanations of what has happened on both and signed, give one to your company and keep the other in case of a pull…for the time being i’d get the one you did photocopied and let the office have the photocopy till you can hand over the original after 28 days (i think 28 is the period you should keep it available for inspection)

You now have to keep print outs for 56 days.

Yeah, I left it in all weekend so it thinks I did 12 days straight!

The thing is I’ve already had another weekend off since (correctly recorded those two days as rest) but it STILL hasn’t forgotten what I did the weekend before. I’m now thinking it will keep bugging me for a whole month. Nobody seems to know how to get it to accept there’s been a mistake and move on, not even the tacho center.

Don’t forget it’ll probably treat it as a reduced weekly rest too so you’d need to have at least 66hrs off over a full weekend to compensate.

SJB:
Yeah, I left it in all weekend so it thinks I did 12 days straight!

The thing is I’ve already had another weekend off since (correctly recorded those two days as rest) but it STILL hasn’t forgotten what I did the weekend before. I’m now thinking it will keep bugging me for a whole month. Nobody seems to know how to get it to accept there’s been a mistake and move on, not even the tacho center.

Unfortunately there’s nothing you (or any one else) can do to change the information already recorded on the card - which is why we have to do written entries on a printout to correct errors.

doublepost

fingermissing:
You now have to keep print outs for 56 days.

Much obliged to me learned friend

I understand 100% the error must stay on record, I just want the tacho to start displaying helpful info again rather than just “Weekly rest needed immediately”. I feel like I’m in a situation where one technical, historic infringement puts the tacho light on forever :laughing: There must be a way to fix it surely! To accept the infringement and move on.

Conor:
Don’t forget it’ll probably treat it as a reduced weekly rest too so you’d need to have at least 66hrs off over a full weekend to compensate.

Think you’ve cracked it… the thing is, I don’t normally ever get 66 hours off! 5pm Friday to 7.30am Monday is 7 + 48 + 7.5 = 62.5 hours. Mondays and Fridays are our busiest days for driving with people always requiring collections Friday evening and deliveries Monday morning, so leaving the tacho out for a few extra hours isn’t going to be easy without causing a bit of grief :frowning: But thanks for the magic number, 66, I will speak to work and see what we can do.

SJB:
I understand 100% the error must stay on record, I just want the tacho to start displaying helpful info again rather than just “Weekly rest needed immediately”. I feel like I’m in a situation where one technical, historic infringement puts the tacho light on forever [emoji38] There must be a way to fix it surely! To accept the infringement and move on.

Conor:

Think you’ve cracked it… the thing is, I don’t normally ever get 66 hours off! 5pm Friday to 7.30am Monday is 7 + 48 + 7.5 = 62.5 hours. Mondays and Fridays are our busiest days for driving with people always requiring collections Friday evening and deliveries Monday morning, so leaving the tacho out for a few extra hours isn’t going to be easy without causing a bit of grief :frowning: But thanks for the magic number, 66, I will speak to work and see what we can do.

Book a Friday or Monday off on holiday? ( if that’s possible)
Bummer to use up a day but might stop the frustration.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I’ve done this before and as Sod’s Law would have it I was stopped in a multi-agency check a week or so later. The copper who did the tacho check clocked it and said “I can see what you’ve done…” before he even asked me for an explanation. He asked me if I’d done a print-out so I said “Yes” and showed it to him but he really wasn’t remotely bothered by it. I guess they must see this fairly frequently.