Stoneridge SE5000 Exakt

It took me (the computer whizz) ages to get my head round the dumb manual entry system of the old SE5000 (I think rev 6.).

Then I came across the (rev 7.) which you could actually operate without having to look at a cheat sheet. (although when I first came across it, unlike the rest of the fleet at that particular place, it was set-up to default to rest when the ignition was turn-off - drove me mad that)

Now a 2003 truck which was the last analogue on another fleet has gained a digital tacho. A Stoneridge SE5000 Exakt. Seemed easy enough to input.

A couple of questions:

1. Is it just the Exakt, or will all the new firmware tachos be requiring a daily rest entry? (rather than just finishing up detail and start shift detail, it wanted to account for time in between)
  2. Will this keep the French happy? :laughing:
  3. If I drive 29 secs and other work for 31 seconds, am I going to be driving for more than 4h 30 by the “real” clock if say multidropping? (e.g. has the pendulum swung over to the opposite direction now.)

I’ve found out since (just now) it is less minute robbing than ones programmed under the old hardware rules. One day with an older digi tacho it was reading well over 30 minutes difference (might even of have been 45) between the truck’s drive-time clock and the tachograph.

Anyone else got (or come across) a new “minute saver” tacho in their truck?

macplaxton:
A couple of questions:

1. Is it just the Exakt, or will all the new firmware tachos be requiring a daily rest entry? (rather than just finishing up detail and start shift detail, it wanted to account for time in between)

No idea, but i understand it is just a one button press to record all that time as rest?

macplaxton:
2) Will this keep the French happy? :laughing:

I doubt it, not even if you fill it with cheese then surrender it to the Germans.

macplaxton:
3) If I drive 29 secs and other work for 31 seconds, am I going to be driving for more than 4h 30 by the “real” clock if say multidropping?

No, but no digital tacho does that, they can never record more driving time than actual calendar time. Start at 06:00 and stop at 10:00 after a lot of stop starting the most driving time it will record is 4 hours when it ignores all your stops and just counts every minute as driving

macplaxton:
I’ve found out since (just now) it is less minute robbing than ones programmed under the old hardware rules.

Good news, that’s what they are designed to do so it looks like it does what it says on the can.

Coffeeholic:
No, but no digital tacho does that, they can never record more driving time than actual calendar time.

Aye, I know that digital tachographs are not time-travelling machine, I was just thinking of how the split activity minutes might work out. I’ll dig out the PDF and see what the directive says.

COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 1266/2009 PDF

From what I remember too, manual entries were all done in local time, instead of UTC.

macplaxton:

Coffeeholic:
No, but no digital tacho does that, they can never record more driving time than actual calendar time.

Aye, I know that digital tachographs are not time-travelling machine, I was just thinking of how the split activity minutes might work out. I’ll dig out the PDF and see what the directive says.

COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 1266/2009 PDF

From what I remember too, manual entries were all done in local time, instead of UTC.

As far as I know your new machine will record each minute as the activity that you spent most time doing. Thirty-one seconds driving and 29 seconds other work will be 1 minute driving. Switch that round and it will be 1 minute other work.

Requirement 038, Requirement 041 and Requirement 042 are replaced by the following:

‘Requirement 038 The first change of activity to REST or AVAILABILITY arising within 120 seconds of the
automatic change to WORK due to the vehicle stop shall be assumed to have happened at the time of vehicle stop (therefore possibly cancelling the change to WORK).’

‘Requirement 041 Given a calendar minute, if DRIVING is registered as the activity of both the immediately preceding and immediately succeeding minute, the whole minute shall be regarded as DRIVING.’

‘Requirement 042 Given a calendar minute that is not regarded as DRIVING according to the previous
requirement 041, the whole minute shall be regarded to be of the same type of activity as the longest continuous activity within the minute (or the latest of equally long activities).’

Ah, but I see they make some distinction (requirement 041) as to when requirement 042 applies.

Another PDF about this time the VDO DTCO 1381 (rel 1.4)

Requirement 42 examples:

Requirement 41 special case: