Stoneridge Digital Tachos

Dads’ new Scania P420 has a Stoneridge tacho fitted, as do a couple of other motors whos VDO units packed up.
Dad’s been given a piece of A4 paper with instructions on which make the process of using it seem overly complicated.
I’m not sure if it’s our place wanting manual entries put on etc but surely you can just put your card in, select UK manual “no” and set to other work and then leave it? Dad’s only interested in it showing driving and break, like me poa and other functions are not worth worrying about.

I was told - in theory, you should do a manual entry for “walking from your car to the office, collecting keys / notes / instructions … then walking to your truck” … as this is classed as “work” … and the same in reverse at the end of the day :unamused:
Just DON’T put card in start engine - drive out of the yard … got to show vehicle checks :wink:
I think the phrase might be “common sense” :slight_smile:

Muckaway:
Dads’ new Scania P420 has a Stoneridge tacho fitted, as do a couple of other motors whos VDO units packed up.
Dad’s been given a piece of A4 paper with instructions on which make the process of using it seem overly complicated.
I’m not sure if it’s our place wanting manual entries put on etc but surely you can just put your card in, select UK manual “no” and set to other work and then leave it? Dad’s only interested in it showing driving and break, like me poa and other functions are not worth worrying about.

What your dad is interested in the tachograph showing is irrelevant, the regulations require you to show other work which includes time spent working before inserting the card and after taking it out.

As said you are expected to show time for vehicle checks and whilst it may not be a legal requirement to do them if he’s stopped and something is found to be wrong with the vehicle he will be in the brown stuff unless he can show that he’s done proper checks on the vehicle before going on the road.

It depends which Stoneridge tacho it is.

The old ones were a pain in the harris, the new ones are as easy as a VDO tacho.

But, I only do manual entries when I’m hourly paid and waiting for a truck to arrive - POA from my arrival time until tacho in truck.

It’s the new type apparently. Driver trainer said about manual for handing in paperwork etc but we leave cards in while this goes on. No driver debrief or keys to give in so the tachos come out, door locked and cycle home.
Tachograph, we do the other work for checks etc (monitored by tracker). Meant to say the other features like poa, ferry mode, checking hours totals are of no interest as we don’t push driving or working hours.
Is it right that “new” digitachs don’t knock off a minute everytime you creep forwards?
I haven’t used a digicard for about 12 months.

Dont bother with manual entries nowadays as i only take the card out when im finished but when use to double shift would always do it, only because of pay though. Always show a few minutes before heading off, even when parked up theres always something to do first, e.g check the curtains for slashes, check fuel tanks, check pin, close back doors, make sure tyres are still pumped up etc.

I always used to show the start time the same as my work sheet. Any time between that and rolling would be other work - often an hour or more. At the end of the shift I always added 30 mins for paperwork & etc.

Muckaway:
Is it right that “new” digitachs don’t knock off a minute everytime you creep forwards?
I haven’t used a digicard for about 12 months.

That’s correct, whereas the old type will count driving to the next full minute after you stop the new ones will record whichever activity takes up most of the minute.
For instance if you drive for 25 seconds of a complete minute and do other work for the other 35 seconds the whole minute will be recorded as other work.

Some people have said they’ve had big savings on driving time over a day.

I’m going back to driving after 4 years off. Do the new digi tachos work the same as the old ones?

Conor:
I’m going back to driving after 4 years off. Do the new digi tachos work the same as the old ones?

Indeed they do. However, they don’t rob as many minutes driving time as the old ones. I recently spent 20 mins in stop start traffic, at the end of shift when I scrolled through the days activities it had recorded that as other work.

Conor:

I don’t know much about the Stonridge but the Siemens are very similar to the old ones except that you do manual entries in local time rather than UTC time.

Also you have to put the daily rest in as a manual entry.

Here are the instruction manuals for the new type tachographs.

Siemens Digital Tachograph R1.4

Stoneridge Digital Tachograph SE5000 Rev 7.3

With the new type, I gather you can’t just leave card in and switch to break end of shift then?

Muckaway:
With the new type, I gather you can’t just leave card in and switch to break end of shift then?

Yes you should still be able do that, in that case you wouldn’t need to do manual entries :wink:

tachograph:

Muckaway:

Yes you should still be able do that, in that case you wouldn’t need to do manual entries :wink:

That’s good as we’re one man one truck firm (when I’m actually tipper driving!) and I prefer to leave card in to make a more legit record.

Muckaway:

You can’t do that with any digi card technically. I know lots do and I imagine incurred fines for it would be rarer than hens teeth. What you are supposed to do is make a manual entry for “end country” when you finish work, and “start country” next day. Unless of course you completely remove the card when you park, which makes this redundant.

the maoster:

Muckaway:

You can’t do that with any digi card technically. I know lots do and I imagine incurred fines for it would be rarer than hens teeth. What you are supposed to do is make a manual entry for “end country” when you finish work, and “start country” next day. Unless of course you completely remove the card when you park, which makes this redundant.

I used to leave the card in (my regular lorry was analogue but I drove other wagons, demonstrators etc) but never had an problems when the TM downloaded and checked data. Most times I was there when it uploaded onto his pc screen and no infringements flagged up.

Muckaway:

Surely that cant be legal. Dont you have to define start of shift and end of shift, on digi by inserting your card etc.

Saaamon:

Muckaway:

Surely that cant be legal. Dont you have to define start of shift and end of shift, on digi by inserting your card etc.

I had doubts even with the old ones, although I’ve never had any training whatsoever on digitachs, just pressed buttons and hoped for the best.

Muckaway:

Saaamon:

Muckaway:

I had doubts even with the old ones, although I’ve never had any training whatsoever on digitachs, just pressed buttons and hoped for the best.

I like digi’s because you dont have to worry about the stopwatch, but they do rob ■■■■ loads of time.