Stone Chips to windscreen

We had two small stone chips at the top of the windscreen ( not seen when sun visor down) which our jobs worth at the yard insisted the whole screen be replaced. I am going mad but would you replace a windscreen with 6 months on the mot for the sake of a couple of small chips (even on your own car?) or are regulations different on Hgv’s —field of vision any different?

get it repaired, a lot cheaper option :wink:

and as for changing it with 6 months MoT left?

not on your life, it can stay like it until the weekend before the MoT, because with my luck, if it was replaced, it would get damaged again before the MoT was due

shuttlespanker:
get it repaired, a lot cheaper option :wink:

and as for changing it with 6 months MoT left?

not on your life, it can stay like it until the weekend before the MoT, because with my luck, if it was replaced, it would get damaged again before the MoT was due

ditto, not sure if the class 4 and 7 mot test manual section on windscreen’s cross over to hgv’s but the rule’s are

no bigger than 10mm in zone A
no bigger than 40mm in zone B

the unsweaped area’s arn’t mentioned so pass and advise…

but the class class 4 and 7 test manual also state’s this a well

pass and advise, aslong as it is considered not to be in the driver’s view…

Banquo:
We had two small stone chips at the top of the windscreen ( not seen when sun visor down) which our jobs worth at the yard insisted the whole screen be replaced. I am going mad but would you replace a windscreen with 6 months on the mot for the sake of a couple of small chips (even on your own car?) or are regulations different on Hgv’s —field of vision any different?

Tell the jobsworth that as the chips are at the top of the screen it would be cheaper just to get half the screen replaced instead of the whole screen :wink:

Just to add if its not inside the drivers wiperblade area and as long as it doesn’t obscure the drivers vision its fine. If the chip forms into a crack make sure it doesn’t exceed 40 mm. use the vosa 2012 downloadable test manual for complete breakdown of RFF and inspection methods.