Stobarts

Hello,

question about Stobarts… are they really THAT bad to work for?

Being a new C+E driver with no previous experience at all, they are a company willing to take me on and give a chance (and albeit a bit dodgy with the ‘tax free meal allowance’) the take home wage is (to me) a pretty figure and more than i’m on now, an extra £150 take home per week. All seems rosey so far and gets me a) a foot in the door and b) some experience.

Any of you on here current / previous drivers and can pass on your first hand experience, rather than ‘my mate said theyre a load of ■■■■■ stay away!!!’

cheers
Mark

SUFCMark:
Hello,

Being a new C+E driver with no previous experience at all, they are a company willing to take me on and give a chance (and albeit a bit dodgy with the ‘tax free meal allowance’) the take home wage is (to me) a pretty figure and more than i’m on now, an extra £150 take home per week. All seems rosey so far and gets me a) a foot in the door and b) some experience.

Any of you on here current / previous drivers and can pass on your first hand experience, rather than ‘my mate said theyre a load of [zb] stay away!!!’

cheers
Mark

Tbh no doubt their no worse or better than most firms

Admittedly they do seem to have strange ways of working and pay structure not the easiest to understand

If it’s more money and gains experience then might be worth a go.

Bear in mind though the latest news over future uncertainty before you leap !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn’t tell you how good or bad they are but a 150 pw pay rise and a chance to get some experience under your belt seems like a no brainer to me

SUFCMark:
Hello,

Any of you on here current / previous drivers and can pass on your first hand experience, rather than ‘my mate said theyre a load of [zb] stay away!!!’

cheers
Mark

I’m in the same boat as you… recently passed (Monday) my class 1 and searching for work, so many jobs are asking for minimum 6-12 months experience which i don’t have and can’t get… i feel like i’m gunna have to work the rough stuff for the first part of a year to get the experience under my belt and go from there… let me know how it goes if you decide to take the leap!

I’ve applied for 3 jobs with them (as well as a huge bunch of others), had no reply as of yet… but also keeping an eye on the fact the rumours of them going bust! :astonished:

Cheers lads. Yeah, the thing whats worrying me is the rumour of them going bust, but i keep thinking

A- surely they wouldnt be recruiting nationwide if they was going bust
B- if they do go bust, the goods are still going to need delivering = other firms taking over the contract so jobs wont be completely wiped out

Similar boat to you in that a lot of firms want experience. A few of the smaller firms have been willing to pay the extra excess to waive the experience part but wanted me to committ to a atleast a year with them which i’m not prepared to do as going for a complete career change.

Stobarts did take a bit longer to get back to me, about 6/7 working days this time but when they rang today booked me straight in for next week. Bear in mind though, they won’t interview/assess you until license card comes back!

SUFCMark:
Cheers lads. Yeah, the thing whats worrying me is the rumour of them going bust, but i keep thinking

B- if they do go bust, the goods are still going to need delivering = other firms taking over the contract so jobs wont be completely wiped out

Similar boat to you in that a lot of firms want experience. A few of the smaller firms have been willing to pay the extra excess to waive the experience part but wanted me to committ to a atleast a year with them which i’m not prepared to do as going for a complete career change.

Stobarts did take a bit longer to get back to me, about 6/7 working days this time but when they rang today booked me straight in for next week. Bear in mind though, they won’t interview/assess you until license card comes back!

Good luck! Hope it works out for you. Thats the problem i have too, i dont have my licence or cpc card yet! And i’ve read DVLA have a delay but hopefully they arrive soon!

SUFCMark:

I’ve just done my CE with “Eddie Stobart”…

Not STOBART GROUP.

There are jobs being advertised nationwide, by GROUP not Eddie.

They use a recruitment agency called logistics people, and if you pass with Eddie, you can be put into agency pool and get potential job with group.

I done it for the 2yr thing, and a job so imop it’s a good scheme as at least you got the foot in door and a wage, and as for going bust, nah, will be a name change and carry on I feel…

Best of luck either way op [emoji106]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I work for Eddie Stobarts on one of their contracts. I’m a new driver and only just started this job 3 weeks ago.

Did an induction for 2 days at Appleton, some of it was useful as a beginner. They paid for getting there, hotel for a night, food. Loads of uniform for free. Pay wise it’s the same as I was earning with another company (only did 2 weeks with them, they were crap). I’m coming out with £500 per week after tax for doing 60 hours a week, no nights out. They take off 45 minutes per day for break unpaid, so paid for 56.25 hours. Every non-driving job I’ve ever done didn’t pay breaks so no big deal for me. Only thing that was annoying was they said I’d be with somebody for 3 days to learn the ropes, but tried to send me out on my own on the first day. Went out with somebody for 1 day, then out on my own.

People slate stobarts, the uniform, the pay, hitting bridges, etc. Personally I don’t mind them so far. I’m doing a job, they are paying me, I’m gaining experience, that’s it. Sure, there are higher paying jobs out there, but as a new pass they give you a chance. And from what I’ve seen advertised, a lot of class 1 jobs are about £500 take home a week after tax, so perhaps the pay isn’t so crap.

Regarding their financial issues, at the end of the day the stuff needs to keep moving, whether it’s still stobart or another company, so I’m not bothered.

TommyT8:
I work for Eddie Stobarts on one of their contracts. I’m a new driver and only just started this job 3 weeks ago.

Did an induction for 2 days at Appleton, some of it was useful as a beginner. They paid for getting there, hotel for a night, food. Loads of uniform for free. Pay wise it’s the same as I was earning with another company (only did 2 weeks with them, they were crap). I’m coming out with £500 per week after tax for doing 60 hours a week, no nights out. They take off 45 minutes per day for break unpaid, so paid for 56.25 hours. Every non-driving job I’ve ever done didn’t pay breaks so no big deal for me. Only thing that was annoying was they said I’d be with somebody for 3 days to learn the ropes, but tried to send me out on my own on the first day. Went out with somebody for 1 day, then out on my own.

People slate stobarts, the uniform, the pay, hitting bridges, etc. Personally I don’t mind them so far. I’m doing a job, they are paying me, I’m gaining experience, that’s it. Sure, there are higher paying jobs out there, but as a new pass they give you a chance. And from what I’ve seen advertised, a lot of class 1 jobs are about £500 take home a week after tax, so perhaps the pay isn’t so crap.

Regarding their financial issues, at the end of the day the stuff needs to keep moving, whether it’s still stobart or another company, so I’m not bothered.

SPOT ON [emoji108][emoji108]

I’ve just done C/CE with them and they been absolutely fantastic with a cabbage like me, now just waiting to get my induction days sorted [emoji16]

I struggle to understand the constant bad press at times from my experience, and as regards from a business view, all firms undercut each other, its business, yes IF press to be believed its backfired a bit, but they won’t be the last to do it lol, seems bad business brains are to blame not the company itself, they’d got mice in charge of the cheese, they need to get the mice out and go back to their roots.

Course there are gonna be accidents, it’s a given but I’ve yet to find MANY firms who give new passes a go, let alone find another driver to give you guidance as you set out…

To me that’s worth it’s weight alone, plus you get a job, GREATFUL as ■■■■ I am [emoji106]

I can’t wait to get going with em, and if from your post op, you take £500 a week in ya sky rocket for the pattern you got, I’d snap their arms and ears off for that all day long, not many I can find willing to give that set of terms to newbies!!

SO for me atleast it’s vive la Stobarts, I won’t be same in a year I bet but meh lifes a roller coaster, just gotta ride it hey [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

SUFCMark:

Just had a call today from Eddie Stobart… got an interview and assessment in 2 weeks time. If i gets my foot in the door its what matters to me. Never going to get anywhere sitting around worrying about companies going bust or being picky of where you want to work! As a new pass i need experience and want it to be full time.

Bigladtrucker:
Just had a call today from Eddie Stobart… got an interview and assessment in 2 weeks time. If i gets my foot in the door its what matters to me. Never going to get anywhere sitting around worrying about companies going bust or being picky of where you want to work! As a new pass i need experience and want it to be full time.

Agree mate. Mine’s on Friday based at Donny, few different shift patterns to me and they’ve sent me the full pay break down so just need to decide what I want and hopefully theyll give me it.

Good luck with yours.

SUFCMark:

Bigladtrucker:

Agree mate. Mine’s on Friday based at Donny, few different shift patterns to me and they’ve sent me the full pay break down so just need to decide what I want and hopefully theyll give me it.

Good luck with yours.

Good luck with it!

Mine fell through after i realised the location they put on was incorrect… listed as Sherburn which is just round the corner from me when in fact it’s Sherburn in Elmet which is nearly 2 hours drive from me! No thanks :neutral_face: .

Just spoke to David Fox and they said i’m best off popping in for a chat so that’s my next step!

Bigladtrucker:

SUFCMark:

Bigladtrucker:

Good luck with yours.

Good luck with it!

Mine fell through after i realised the location they put on was incorrect… listed as Sherburn which is just round the corner from me when in fact it’s Sherburn in Elmet which is nearly 2 hours drive from me! No thanks :neutral_face: .

Just spoke to David Fox and they said i’m best off popping in for a chat so that’s my next step!

Ditto mate, I applied for a teesport position got a phone call then got an email saying it was sherburn. Thought the same as you that it was just past the moors only to realise it’s a hour and a half on a quiet day.

Jonny5282:

Bigladtrucker:

SUFCMark:

Bigladtrucker:

Good luck with yours.

Good luck with it!

Ditto mate, I applied for a teesport position got a phone call then got an email saying it was sherburn. Thought the same as you that it was just past the moors only to realise it’s a hour and a half on a quiet day.

Absolutely useless they are! Why not put a postcode on to make everyones life easier! I also applied for teesport but she told me it was just a registered interest application… not ideal!