Stobarts Widnes Ports question

So, over the past few days I’ve seen a few (14 plate) 4x2 Stobart liveried Scania G cabs pulling skellys/containers out of Widnes Ports, they also have a handful parked up in their yard. Is it just me that finds that a bit strange? I thought they would have/want to use the normal 6x2 units for that sort of work due to the possible weight issues with containers?? I should add they have a load of 14 plate 6x2 units aswell.

I wonder if it’s for pre-selected work/containers where they know the weights? (I haven’t the foggiest how it works on containers BTW).

Just seemed strange for them to spec 4x2’s and containers together.

Probably right may weight the containers before taking out onto the road.

Reason why Stobarts have probably introduced 4x2 units more to do with road tax trying to save a few more pennies on top of being cheaper to buy than the 6 x2 version

Just heard off a good friend that it’s because Scania are behind on production of 6x2 units the 4x2’s are filling in until they’re ready.

Marmite only ran 6x2s a few years ago & now they’re using 4x2s aren’t they!? I heard that Stobart are becoming so tight now they can’t afford electric windows on both sides:lol:

So e of the older 60 and 10 plate Scanias only had one electric window. Can’t comment on the 14 plate ones though.

Im a container boy and I’m not sure if the office know the weights of the box but I’m given a box number and a booking number before I get to the dock I check in then I get a print out with the weight on it it’s not a problem for me as I have a 6x2 with mid lift axel. It would make sense that they know the weights and the controllers book them accordingly :slight_smile:

Going back a few years now but I’m sure I can recall that when I used to ring for a vbs for Felixstowe etc the office quite often used to tell me the weight just in conversation so I’m assuming its part if the details provided within the booking/admin system.