Stobarts and VOSA

I take entirely the opposite view. Here we have a company big enough and with enough influence over its customers to fling the problem back at the product producer, telling them that it won’t be carried until it is packaged in such a way that it can withstand being secured to the floor of the vehicle and without gaps between the pallets/crates/stillages. I hope they lose any potential court case and have their licence curtailed significantly; they are letting the rest of the industry down.

mazzer:
Heard that it is to do with load security of out of one of the coca cola plants probably thought that they were untouchable, well obviously not

Never seen any Stobart trailer being strapped at Coca Cola… And their trailer checklist states that a trailer needs a minimum of four (4) straps.
Never seen MJD strap Coke loads either.

cav551:
I take entirely the opposite view. Here we have a company big enough and with enough influence over its customers to fling the problem back at the product producer, telling them that it won’t be carried until it is packaged in such a way that it can withstand being secured to the floor of the vehicle and without gaps between the pallets/crates/stillages. I hope they lose any potential court case and have their licence curtailed significantly; they are letting the rest of the industry down.

You carry bottled and canned (soft) drinks a lot? Most pallets are pretty solid, with very little, if any, gaps between pallets. The only exeption is the plastic wrapped packs of cans, which are not shrink wrapped. Not sure how coke can improve the pallets, other than putting boards on top.

The fact remains though, that those bottles ain’t going to come through a curtain. If something happens serious enough to make them come through the curtain, even ratchet straps ain’t going to save the day.

rob22888:

Andrejs:
Why need strapped.
Stobart trailers curtainside have this cerificat EN 12642 or…If Trailers have this sig that all companies not strap all

Never seen a Stobart trailer with the XL certificate thing on it, even the new ones.

Does it need to be on the curtain, legally? Can it be on a plate on the chassis/headboard/wherever or does it need to be displayed on the curtain?

A.

Andrejs:
Why need strapped.
Stobart trailers curtainside have this cerificat EN 12642 or…If Trailers have this sig that all companies not strap all

erm not the ones that are at coke wakefield, not even the new ones have load bearing curtains

you can tell by looking at the curtains they aint load bearing, most load bearing curtains have cert on headboard and on each curtain

the nodding donkey:

cav551:

You carry bottled and canned (soft) drinks a lot? Most pallets are pretty solid, with very little, if any, gaps between pallets. The only exeption is the plastic wrapped packs of cans, which are not shrink wrapped. Not sure how coke can improve the pallets, other than putting boards on top.

The fact remains though, that those bottles ain’t going to come through a curtain. If something happens serious enough to make them come through the curtain, even ratchet straps ain’t going to save the day.

tell that too the 8 drivers that have all had there loads come off the pallets in the last 6 months as they go around the roundabout at the bottom of the j41 estate and clip the kerb then have to take the drive of shame (at 5mph) back into coke with the load hanging off 1 side. then it’s mugs like me that has too take it too the place next door so there forklift drivers can empty trailer because coke wont allow there own forkies to do it.

scotstrucker:

the nodding donkey:

cav551:

tell that too the 8 drivers that have all had there loads come off the pallets in the last 6 months as they go around the roundabout at the bottom of the j41 estate and clip the kerb then have to take the drive of shame (at 5mph) back into coke with the load hanging off 1 side. then it’s mugs like me that has too take it too the place next door so there forklift drivers can empty trailer because coke wont allow there own forkies to do it.

If they clip the kerb and the load shifts it’s not Coke’s fault.it’s the ■■■■ poor “driver’s” fault :unamused:

Saw a stoby tipping cans of Coke and it had no wrapping at all on the cans.

scotstrucker:
tell that too the 8 drivers that have all had there loads come off the pallets in the last 6 months as they go around the roundabout at the bottom of the j41 estate and clip the kerb

And how many drivers successfully navigated said roundabout in the same period with the same load on ?

I heard about this a few days ago. Rumour is that stobarts own the land that VOSA use in Carlisle. Stobarts have given them an eviction notice so VOSA are understandably targeting Stobart trucks

Can’t believe this seventeen years after Dents Transport of Hilgay Norfolk packed up whom I worked for and you are all going on about strapping loads, a five minute job. I started in 1986 and all the tautliners had inner curtains fitted and they were always used even if we picked up Coke or Slabs . Loads did not slip unless you went like a madman ( pre limiter days ).
I also worked as a nightloader for them and all loads had the inner curtains clipped in place. Have we regressed or are drivers just a lazy bunch of sods.
I drive for a feed company now and we don’t drive without the sheet strapped or the partition doors locked.

Lazy sods or professional driver, you make your own minds up.

Terry T:

scotstrucker:
tell that too the 8 drivers that have all had there loads come off the pallets in the last 6 months as they go around the roundabout at the bottom of the j41 estate and clip the kerb

And how many drivers successfully navigated said roundabout in the same period with the same load on ?

I go round said roundabout a couple of times a week, and have never even kissed it.

GOG47:

scotstrucker:

the nodding donkey:

cav551:

If they clip the kerb and the load shifts it’s not Coke’s fault.it’s the ■■■■ poor “driver’s” fault :unamused:

And in this situation strap not help nothing.

PaulNowak:

Terry T:

scotstrucker:

I go round said roundabout a couple of times a week, and have never even kissed it.

same here but some drivers think the truck is a formula 1 car

2 Strap’s (cross-strapped obviously) across the rear pallets is all we are told to do. If VOSA tug you, ESL will pay the fine.

Quick equation for you all folks…4000 wagons x 20 mins each strapping up = ££££’s. The odd wagon here and there with a £100 fine = £££’s.

££££’s -£££’s = £’s.

eagerbeaver:
2 Strap’s (cross-strapped obviously) across the rear pallets is all we are told to do. If VOSA tug you, ESL will pay the fine.

Quick equation for you all folks…4000 wagons x 20 mins each strapping up = ££££’s. The odd wagon here and there with a £100 fine = £££’s.

££££’s -£££’s = £’s.

So are they starting a legal challenge on it or not?

eagerbeaver:

££££’s -£££’s = £’s.

DVSA isn’t the problem except they’ll share info, the TC is the one you don’t want to annoy, they might take a dim view of regular non conformist practices when DVSA forward the reports, that time cost saving can soon pale into insignificance if the TC gets the hump.

My place is 100% by the book, officials who make the rules say jump we say how high, all own account fleet, if it takes an extra couple of hours a day for the curtain siders so what? it matters far more to the company to have a blemish free reputation.

Adonis.:

rob22888:

Andrejs:
Why need strapped.

Never seen a Stobart trailer with the XL certificate thing on it, even the new ones.

Does it need to be on the curtain, legally? Can it be on a plate on the chassis/headboard/wherever or does it need to be displayed on the curtain?

A.

It says in the guidelines on the DVSA website that XL rated trailers display stickers in prominent locations.

Plus, like some others have said, if you have worked with XL rated trailers you can pretty easily tell trailers which aren’t & Stobart’s aren’t. Personally I hope they get ■■■■■■, if a company with that many trucks on the roads have been advising drivers to not bother securing 26+ ton loads :unamused:

Just a random thought. We as drivers say that we are professional and wish to be treated as such and with the same respect, however, there are rules, which may or may not be correct. As professionals we should take notice and heed of the rules, otherwise we could be considered as being unprofessional. You cannot have your cake and eat it on this occasion.