Stobart - Then and Now

not saying its true only what ive herd over the years from other drivers and companies but what they said will shock some people if you look into the stobart family .

But then again ive herd the the queens a bloke,Charles married a horse and we get visits from little grey men.just dont beleave every thing your told

Ahhh…the “family” chestnut. Any firm of even slightly respectable size has stories like that - try spending half an hour in the THA on Trinity (Felixstowe) and you’ll soon find out about Mr Deben’s latest lousy divorce settlement…Never mind the fact that there is no Mr Deben and the firm was named after the river…

…Then there’s a certain Hull firm I used to work for, and all the local folklore about the two brothers falling out over a Maersk buyout which fell through…

…And even the 20 wagon fleet from near Blandford, still family owned, who “are” selling out to Gregorys just as soon as the son gets the shares off the old man…there are also a lot of tales about the old dear and various members of the local rugby club…plus the great “Pig Farm Scam” which never happened and never will… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My current employer is family-owned in Finland. You can imagine what adding that sort of distance into the legends does for rumour creation… :stuck_out_tongue:

articfox:
I remember all the rate cutting stuff and the animosity from the eighties. Many a truck stop loo wall was peppered with vitriol graffiti about Stobart’s, along with other stuff I won’t relate!
I read Hunter Davies’ book ‘The Eddie Stobart Story’ and very interesting it was too. E.S. seems a complex character, like many of us I suppose.

Anyway, I’m largely out of touch with haulage these days , having a cushy ultra local job, does he have any depots withi n 20 miles of mancunia ? should I fancy a change. I reckon I could earn more money.

fox

There moving from warrington to appleton thorn(near lymm) very shortly.

wow, Im famous... (anonymously of course :laughing: ).. The latest edition of truck&driver--- "EDDIE STOBART SPECIAL" :unamused: :unamused: I still rate the job very highly but im having serious doubts at the moment over what to do…
Im well aware that what im about to print will bring hoots of derision and comments from the £1000 per week brigade… but sod it ive had a pint so i dont really care :laughing: Weve just had pay talks (yeah right-“this is what i`m offering take it or leave it”)
At present international are on :-
£70 day rate regardless of hours worked
£27 night out regardless european or uk
£6 daily meal allowance
Quarterly bonus of on average £250…

Uk drivers get
£7.20 between 6am and 6pm
A bit more for darkness hours
even more for saturday
another rate for sunday
£20 night out
£5 daily bonus

we`ve been offered (with the proviso of take it, stay as you are on day rate with no rise, or transfer onto uk if you dont like it!!)
£6.75 between 6am and 6pm
£7.25 6pm to 6am
a bit more for saturday
a bit more for sunday
£20 uk night out
£27 euro night out
£5 daily bonus

so effectively im going to be working for less money than the uk drivers.. Weve started doing a fair bit of work for jenkinsons on there walking floor work in the uk…
There are ten motors going onto this work on uk only… doing the same work as me for more money :unamused:
I see trouble ahead :open_mouth: :wink:
Do i stay on the job i enjoy
Do i transfer onto the uk for more dosh
Its not really so much about the money its more a principal thing…
Why should i do the job for less than another driver arguably less experienced than myself?
Wish i`d got this in t&d!! william dont like bad press :unamused: :laughing:

JB:
wow, Im famous... (anonymously of course :laughing: ).. The latest edition of truck&driver--- "EDDIE STOBART SPECIAL" :unamused: :unamused: I still rate the job very highly but im having serious doubts at the moment over what to do…
Im well aware that what im about to print will bring hoots of derision and comments from the £1000 per week brigade… but sod it ive had a pint so i dont really care :laughing: Weve just had pay talks (yeah right-“this is what i`m offering take it or leave it”)
£6 daily meal allowance

Uk drivers get
even more for saturday
another rate for sunday
£20 night out
£5 daily bonus

we`ve been offered (with the proviso of take it, stay as you are on day rate with no rise, or transfer onto uk if you dont like it!!)
£7.25 6pm to 6am
a bit more for saturday
a bit more for sunday
£20 uk night out
£27 euro night out
£5 daily bonus

so effectively im going to be working for less money than the uk drivers.. Weve started doing a fair bit of work for jenkinsons on there walking floor work in the uk…
There are ten motors going onto this work on uk only… doing the same work as me for more money :unamused:
Why should i do the job for less than another driver arguably less experienced than myself?

approach jenkinsons :question: :question:

JB:
Im well aware that what im about to print will bring hoots of derision and comments from the £1000 per week brigade…

I wouldn’t get out of bed for those rates. :laughing:

Rob K:

JB:
Im well aware that what im about to print will bring hoots of derision and comments from the £1000 per week brigade…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i know!

One of my mates who worked on the international division,came off it to go onto the Tesco job out of Daventry earlier this year.

The international division want him back to go onto the contract that is to be running out of Rotherham,and he’s mulling it over,but he’s currently earning more on the UK,as he’s paid by the hour,whereas as has been quoted,on the international,it’s a fixed daily rate.

Ken.

im famous as well john. im glad they used my quote i was chuffed when i saw it. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

How much :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JB:
£6 daily meal allowance

Uk drivers get
even more for saturday
another rate for sunday
£20 night out
£5 daily bonus

£7.25 6pm to 6am
a bit more for saturday
a bit more for sunday
£20 uk night out
£27 euro night out
£5 daily bonus

riddle solved, i knew when i was reading it i read it elsewhere, just couldnt remember where

JB:

Rob K:

JB:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i know!

Eddies had a ad in the local Wrexham paper last week

UK Walking floor drivers @ 32k pa

European drivers @ 30k pa

Ive got a mate whos been with them for about 10yrs out of Warrington and hes been on the walking floor job for about a month now, last week he told his planner hes leaving on friday but would like to start back on monday on his old job @ 32k :laughing: only to be told that the advertised amount was potental earnings,
He said he`d like to meet someone with that much potental to earn 32k on there hourly rates :laughing:

Would that be “S.T”?

Looking at the stobart website.The advertised hourly rates are well above the ones quoted in an earlier thread.

And the £32k.Why do firms advertise potential earninings,When you hav’nt got a hope in heaven of earning that much.You just get disapointed when youve took the time to give them a call.

My lot just pay a flat salary for 48hours plus early/ late finish and nights out.And we don’t do any poa.
So companies thad advertise a job for £X ammount for 48 hours may look good,until they expect you to do 20hours a week poa.Then divide the £X ammount by 68 hours and it becomesmop and bucket money.

Tony b

■■■■ sake stobbies is a crap place unless your tramping if you like the hours then go for it phonin everytime you stop and on the move :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

losin a bonus if you dont do the straps on the curtain right dam lost that every week :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I spoke to a mate of mine on the phone last week who works from Wakefield. He reckons he will retire there. I asked him if he missed that contimental work and he said that if he wants it he can have it but the UK work is easier.

He seems quite happy with himself

jessicas dad:
im famous as well john. im glad they used my quote i was chuffed when i saw it. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

So whos was the long ‘story’ before yours in that article?? :laughing: :laughing:

marcustandy:

jessicas dad:

So whos was the long ‘story’ before yours in that article?? :laughing: :laughing:

dont understand what you mean.