Stobart Goole

Just had a telephone call from an agency asking if I would like some work (they dont know I retired), so being nosy I asked who for, Eddy Stobart Goole this is form an agency in BOSTON, I laughed long and loud and said that even if I was still working I would not work for them, and the she said " I have rung 11 drivers and everyone of them has said more or less the same thing" it is getting to the point in Goole where they are going to have to send out Press Gangs soon apparently…

How much does the constant bribery of temporary staff & subbies to go in there cost Stobart? Wouldn’t it be better just to improve working conditions?

Always seems to be the same old story there, them biting the hand off anybody with a HGV license & a pulse.

I know lads from around where I live (Manchester) who have been paid expenses to go to work out of Tesco Goole.

Boston? Jesus, is it cauliflower season already.

Time to start asking for silly rates.

Doesn’t surprise me its got as far as Boston. Stobarts used and abused all the drivers locally years ago when Tesco first opened the RDC there firing them for no reasons in many cases which put a lot of backs up then there was the Doncaster situation that finished it off and five or six years ago we started seeing adverts for agency drivers for Goole from further and further away.

I think the problem is that far too often at Goole they’ll have you sat there for hours on end with no work then suddenly land a long run on you. A couple of agency drivers at Howdens seem quite happy with it though but I think its more because they get paid extra to go there and being Eastern European they’re more concerned with how much they can earn than what the job is like.

If you are prepared to put up with being pratted about and don’t mind a bit of hard graft then I don’t think its necessarily that bad a job.

Supermarket work although not everybodies cup of tea, is generally a fairly cushy gig with reasonable hours where you aren’t getting messed around too much, so I don’t understand why Stobarts seem to be making such a hash of it at Goole.

I suppose the whole charade there is just a lesson to all hauliers out there as to what can happen when you royally ■■■■ staff about.

rob22888:
How much does the constant bribery of temporary staff & subbies to go in there cost Stobart? Wouldn’t it be better just to improve working conditions?

Always seems to be the same old story there, them biting the hand off anybody with a HGV license & a pulse.

I know lads from around where I live (Manchester) who have been paid expenses to go to work out of Tesco Goole.

And they still gave pimpdaddy the knock back :unamused: :laughing:

rob22888:
Supermarket work although not everybodies cup of tea, is generally a fairly cushy gig with reasonable hours where you aren’t getting messed around too much, so I don’t understand why Stobarts seem to be making such a hash of it at Goole.

The traffic office bods seem to play a more than minor part.

I used to hate taking a load into there for Stobart’s. Drop the trailer on a bay and then take a crappy blue Tesco trailer with a store delivery on it.

More often than not I took the trailer back to Appleton. Disciplinary city.

Every agency and it’s dog seems to have their fingers in Stobart / Tesco out of Goole and Doncaster. On Indeed or Reed, there are dozens of adverts for work out of those places, with a multitude of different agencies. Goole and Doncaster are areas with a lot of Eastern Europeans, particularly Poles.

I had to go into the Doncaster depot, and I must admit that I didn’t find it too bad. The staff in the DC were fairly helpful, but in the driver’s room, there were probably 10 foreign agency drivers to every driver in Stobart gear. The directly-employed Stobart drivers clearly held the agency lads in contempt, and they were loudly going-on about how the agency drivers are the cause of all the problems in the depot, particularly how they are just brought in and sent-off on a run, without any training or a meaningful induction, just reading a 100-page H&S document.

I’ve only been to the Goole depot once, as I had to drop some paperwork off at the Scania workshop, but I remember that I didn’t have any Hi-Vis or safety boots, just normal office gear, and nobody said a thing. They must have thought I was an exec :smiley:

I applied for Stobarts ages ago, and I got a call last week from their recruiting team, asking if I could go into Goole for an interview and driving assessment next week. I asked the nice girl if there if they still do “flexi” or “casual” contracts, and she confirmed they do, so I’ll be trying to get one of those when I go in. If they say one isn’t a possibility, then I’ll be out of the door. The good news is if they’re desperate, I may have more chance :smiley: Plus I want one of the uniforms :laughing:

rob22888:

Probably sat about doing nothing. Pet hate. I’d rather have several local runs all day than be sat in a waiting area doing ■■■■ all. Funnily enough my current job is like that… Wait around in case they need anything delivering fast. Most of the time they put it on the dropside and a forkie takes it :unamused: But whatever you’re paying me £8 an hour to sit down.

There advertising up here in the north east , for the Goole depot :open_mouth:

Always used to get stiffed with the Red risk assessment deliverys when I dropped a green in there. Knobs

andy12:
Always used to get stiffed with the Red risk assessment deliverys when I dropped a green in there. Knobs

yes, they’re getting what they deserve. :grimacing:

I was rung and offered daft rates to go there at least 18 months ago,told them I live in Liverpool and was offered accomodation for the week.Awful miserable site,that ■■■■■ the life out of you.As for the way they load the wagons for Tesco drops in Goole.

Yep. Open the trailer and you can smell the alcohol from the smashed bottles straight away!

Products just blatantly chucked or crammed into the cages.

Lovely though innit ? better if you have a bit of muslin and a fine mesh strainer and a couple of empty bottles :slight_smile:

I was told of my run the other sat , said it wasn’t possible , I couldn’t get back , last shift of week , told to run in Sunday , no not doing 11 hrs in truck and 1/2 hrs running in for £11/22 ,right your on tesco then :unamused: :unamused: , go too Goole , did first run , got back and waited for second run , and waited , and waited , finally got it and was just about to say I’m not going too get this done , planner says take this back to your depot , night shift can do it , I would of had a great big argument with my planner over it , had 2 weeks in there over xmas , always checked if I was tramping and would ask if I was ok with job , and if I wanted a break away from place wout give me a Wisbech , Blackpool etc .
The loading can be crap , stores crap but if your reasonable with them they’re ok with you , or that’s what I find ,it’s often a refuge for me .