Stobart driver development programme

Thoughts on this one peeps?

eddiestobart.com/careers-and-tr … velopment/

Can you summarise what you think it is?
I’ve read it, but still not sure what it is? Is it for licence holders as additional training, or just training for your license with extra on the side?

Perhaps this explains it better. It seems to be funded training with a guaranteed job at the end of it.

C9251BBF-4C94-41F7-B841-6276FFCCE618.jpeg

Thought that’s what it would be.
I think it’s a great idea if you can’t afford the lessons etc. And/or worried about getting a job with no experience when you pass.
On the other hand you need to find out what they’ll pay you for the time you’re contracted to stay and whether you’ll like that type of work.

Main downside would be it takes 1 year to complete it.

And the wage probably wouldn’t be brilliant in that first year.

I just received a reply E-mail from them and it states that a 2 year contract to drive for them needs to be signed in order to sign up to this, their training centres are in Crick & Warrington. I’ve got to say as a total newbie who’s be going from a B to C+E and then looking for jobs that don’t require a years experience, I’m tempted.

Azzawhite:
I just received a reply E-mail from them and it states that a 2 year contract to drive for them needs to be signed in order to sign up to this, their training centres are in Crick & Warrington. I’ve got to say as a total newbie who’s be going from a B to C+E and then looking for jobs that don’t require a years experience, I’m tempted.

Hi, did they give an indication of salary for the two years? As you say, the guarantee of work for us with no experience is very tempting.

sanquo:

Azzawhite:

Hi, did they give an indication of salary for the two years? As you say, the guarantee of work for us with no experience is very tempting.

I’ve replied to ask this exact question, if they reply I’ll let you know.

Any idea what the salary is likely to be? i live in warrington and i am interested

Probably something laughable like £23k…

I’d guess you wont love their answer…

You will still pay for the training as it will be taken out of your wages effectively.

And as Stobbies’ pay is generally poor anyway, brace yourself.

Watch out for the extra “how to ■■■■ a bridge correctly” driving module that only Stobbies do…[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

There’s no such thing as free lunch, I’d suggest anyone looking at tie-ins (whether this or the Hoyer one discussed earlier in the week) needs to think very long and very hard about the practicalities of being financially trapped in a situation they’ll undoubtedly in the future prefer to walk away from.

Zac_A:
There’s no such thing as free lunch, I’d suggest anyone looking at tie-ins (whether this or the Hoyer one discussed earlier in the week) needs to think very long and very hard about the practicalities of being financially trapped in a situation they’ll undoubtedly in the future prefer to walk away from.

Let’s see what the salary is, but where I am, they run a driver training program. Yes you sign up for 2 years, but you’re on the same salary as everyone else as soon as you pass. Before you pass, everything is paid for including postage to send off your provisional application, days off to study your theory etc. Let’s not forget the difficulty of looking for work as a new pass. A lot of my colleagues have been here for many years, so the tie in isn’t a problem for everyone.
(This is C1 before you all ask where)

stu675:

C1 :question:

ROG:

stu675:

C1 :question:

7.5T that I’ve been doing since October, not the class one, C+E work that I’m now looking for.

I’m looking at this as my financial position doesn’t allow me to afford to pay for training myself but i earn too much to be able to apply for the government scheme.
It’s 7 days practical training / test apparently and then from what I can tell you will be on the same money as any other driver for them.
2 year tie in. I’ve had a medical earlier and sent off my provisional application. Need to find out what is the best material to study for the theory, hazard perception and case study now.
Currently working in a call centre and want out and this seems my best bet.

These things have pros and cons, if you’re a younger driver trying to get into the industry then you’re prob gonna tear your hair out with so many job adverts saying over 25 with 2 year experience. also, doing your test isnt cheap, so having the money there to actually go and do the test is another obstacle.

there is no such thing as a free meal, but weigh up the pros and cons. I know a company over here who do it, you’re tied in for 2 years, they’ll take the money out of your wages on a weekly/ monthly basis spread out over the 2 years, if you leave before that then you owe the balance. Essentially you’re getting an interest free loan to pay for your licence. The other good thing being that you’re getting 2 years experience where a lot of other companies won’t even look at you. You could think after a year that its not for you anymore and leave, you pay off the balance what you owe them for the licence, you also have a years experience under your belt that will make getting another job easier.