Stobart, casual work

I see that they are looking for casual drivers. Anyone know what sort of shifts they offer casual staff and what sort of money they pay ?. I’d be particularly interested in weekends.

They only pay what the regular drivers are paid.And no guarantee of work.

Tonyb

Slackeye is the man to ask, as he’s just gone down that route with them this week.

Send him a pm.

Ken.

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but do they do any class 2 work and do they take on newbies? Thanks

i know of 1 who does sunday everyweek, does same run,same as normal stobart rate as far as i know, he gets sunday every week as alot of drivers changed from sun-thurs,tues-sat to mon-fri ,which means theres now a shortage of sat ,sun drivers.

STEVECB1300:
Sorry to jump in on the thread, but do they do any class 2 work and do they take on newbies? Thanks

sure alcester ,and i think corby have class 2,not many ,but there was defo some in alcester yard the other week,dont think anywhere else has but stand to be corrected.
do they take on newbies, well the new bloke i had with me the other week was newish,hed only drove a little four wheeler pulling those little diggers [gas board,council type trailers] bfore,so he said.
hes had to start on a fri-tues shift which isnt the best for your social life but in time if anyone leaves then theres no reason he couldnt swap to something else i wouldnt think.plus hes also getting experiance.
as has been said loads of times,ring, ask the questions,didnt they used to train class 2 up to class 1,i thought i read somewhere of someone being trained up by stobarts.
n.b-stobarts didnt train him to class1,he said he had to take a test to be able to pull those little diggers,no idea if its true just what he said
best of luck

They do take on new drivers as we have had a few start recently. I’m not sure that they would take on a class 2 driver though as its virtually all class 1 work. As ady1 says, Alcester have a couple of rigids but again I think they’d want drivers who can take a class 1 out aswell if needed, especially for a casual driver.

Kiowan:
They do take on new drivers as we have had a few start recently. I’m not sure that they would take on a class 2 driver though as its virtually all class 1 work. As ady1 says, Alcester have a couple of rigids but again I think they’d want drivers who can take a class 1 out aswell if needed, especially for a casual driver.

Ady is right Class 1 but do take on class 2 to train up to class1 at Crick me thinks check their website or give em a ring :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley:

STEVECB1300:

no they do not take on newbies, i applied for alcester - got a phone call from them about what experience i had - i said none - they said bye.

Went on the assessment and interview last Thursday, got the call I had the job Friday, I have to go to a classroom day later this week in Goole, I get paid for it, in my interview I said that I don’t fancy nights out but I would do days, nights or weekends, also its casual they said I could work with agencies still, the pay is not to good, but if I get regular work I would be ok,
The driving assessment was easy, last week I did 3 and all so I could get work, first at Asda Normanton full day learning taco regs and how they do there work, got a good map book of there stores though lol , and having a reverse test , got a green card thing but not heard about any work though! , Second the stobart one, and third had one at the Tetley brewery in Leeds, on Saturday not paid and I gave a full days work up for and bloody failed lol, the assessor guy was one of them that never talked and I could tell hated agency staff I had couple up the lot he made me drive miles, into huddersfied and down narrow back roads and through tight corners was like my test but worse! Then I was behind a road sweeper and let a car come on the opposite side of the road come past, clear road so I indicted and started to pass the sweeper , stupid little punto came flying up the road lol I could not stop , so he had to wait at the end of the road , shaking his fist at me , I thought oh well bet this guy going to fail me now , and he did lol mind you he did say he wishes I had not mucked up , I had done an excellent drive and its rare they get agency drivers that can drive at all! Shows he hates us lol, cos I think agency drivers get it though , never the same run diff truck and working practices , not knowing were or when your working, but I leant a lot doing the agency, best thing I ever did

Thanks for the replys and advice…

I only passed Cat C last Thursday, Applied for a couple of class 2 jobs and my fingers are crossed.
Spoke to lots of local firms and agencies, nothing doing for Class 2 and to ring back when I have Class 1.
Waiting for my licence back so I can book Class 1 course…

Nearly everyone that I’ve spoke to say most companys put a class 1 driver on their rigids when they need to, they dont want class 2 drivers stood when an artics ready to roll…

Go to every agency you can find because Christmas is a comin and even with your little experience you have a great chance of getting some work, you never know, one of the companies you work for may be looking for a driver, so do every job as if it was an assesment and interview and ask if theyre looking.

Good luck

try the co op they have lots of class 2 work and the bread , worburtons and british bakeries there will be work there for sure , ask what agencys they :slight_smile: use

tramp:

STEVECB1300:

no they do not take on newbies, i applied for alcester - got a phone call from them about what experience i had - i said none - they said bye.

This isn’t true, I work at Alcester and like I say there have been quite a few drivers start within the last 6months or so that have only just passed their class 1 and 2. They maybe said bye for another reason.

And as Steve has discovered, most companies that have a few rigids will just get a class 1 driver to take them out as and when rather than employ a class 2 driver who cannot drive the artics. There are companies that have larger class 2 fleets though, Langdons in Redditch I know do employ class 2 drivers as they do a lot of multidrop work.

bloody class 1 at langdons are multi drop to …some of the office staff are idiots though …main gaffer jerry is sound though…but as some of the others …and i know cause worked there for 2 years…

Kiowan:

tramp:

STEVECB1300:

This isn’t true, I work at Alcester and like I say there have been quite a few drivers start within the last 6months or so that have only just passed their class 1 and 2. They maybe said bye for another reason.

what other reason? everything in the phone conversation was fine until he asked what experience I had. maybe i should’ve lied they’d never have known cus they dont read application.