Stinking washer bottle

Every time I use the washers on both my DAFs it stinks like rotten eggs. I’m thinking the water has become stagnant with them not being used much in the summer months. I’ve tried leaving a hosepipe in for 10mins to flush the washer bottle out but it still stinks. Any idea how to remedy this problem please?

Cheers
Matt.

When I had this problem I just added a cap full of Miltons sterilising solution to the washer bottle, the stuff you use to sterilise babies bottles & available from chemists & most supermarkets. Worked a treat for me :slight_smile:

bottle of disinfectant and a gallon of hot water sorted mine out, i put the airline on mine and blew it through to clear any crap out the line first

Just add a litre of adblue, it works wonders. :wink:
ffs worse troll thread ever…

Dipper_Dave:

And i thought the mention of hosepipes and disinfectant had drawn you to this thread Dave, i was expecting you to regale us with tales of your DIY colonic irrigation :smiley:

chaversdad:

Dipper_Dave:

And i thought the mention of hosepipes and disinfectant had drawn you to this thread Dave, i was expecting you to regale us with tales of your DIY colonic irrigation :smiley:

:smiley:
Funnily enough whilst running low on fuel and stopping for a splash and dash at Alconbury (pardon the pun) my mind has wandered into enema territory, not that im a stranger to poking things up the wrong un but I do feel nervous using the garden hose pipe for experimental purposes. Especialy as its connected to a Karcher jet wash.

That said a few freinds of mine who have partaken in a wet follow through or two do reccomend it and inform me its like walking on air afterwards, albeit with a slightly violated facial expression.

Anyway as a more sensible tip for the op, just pop a capfull of bleach in with a few fillups and the bad smell should soon go. Oh and I mean in the trucks washer bottle not your ■■■■.

Dipper_Dave:

How is it a troll thread? Just a straightforward question.

Matt

xfmatt:

Dipper_Dave:

Matt

I think Dave was referring to his answer, not your question Matt.

When I was on tankers I pulled the same barrel all the time, it was only dropped for servicing and I had one of those carbon fibre? discs. I thought it was very good tbh, no crap on the air lines or catwalk and next to no maintainance required. Not sure where to get them from though.

the maoster:
When I was on tankers I pulled the same barrel all the time, it was only dropped for servicing and I had one of those carbon fibre? discs. I thought it was very good tbh, no crap on the air lines or catwalk and next to no maintainance required. Not sure where to get them from though.

Um, are you sure you didn’t mean to post this on the thread about fifth wheel discs? :wink:

Probably should’ve done Harry, but I was in the middle of a beer buzz and had managed to focus one eye long enough to post and didn’t wanna push my luck by attempting two different threads! :wink:

Is it just water ?

If it is, drain it right out & fill up with clean water, drain again (to wash out the pipes) then fill up using diluted screen wash, I use screen wash all year round, very rarely top up in the summer & it doesn’t smell bad, stops bacteria building up (that’s what’s smelling) reference Legionnaires Disease-

nhs.uk/news/2010/06June/Page … water.aspx

bbc.co.uk/news/10293519

martinviking:
Is it just water ?

If it is, drain it right out & fill up with clean water, drain again (to wash out the pipes) then fill up using diluted screen wash, I use screen wash all year round, very rarely top up in the summer & it doesn’t smell bad, stops bacteria building up (that’s what’s smelling) reference Legionnaires Disease-

nhs.uk/news/2010/06June/Page … water.aspx

bbc.co.uk/news/10293519

No I’ve had screen wash in it but it’s still gone smelly. Gonna try the sterilising solution and see how that turns out. Anyone know if there’s a bung in the bottom of the washer bottle to flush through?

Matt.

Don’t think there’s a drain plug. Washer pumps are typically a push-fit so (depending on ease of access) might be an easy-ish way to drain the tank. Alternatively, pull the rubber tubes off the wiper arms (to increase flow rate) and use the washer pump to empty the tank.

A capful of flash works well. Cleans the screen lovely too.

xfmatt:

Dipper_Dave:

Matt

My bad, I was ■■■■■■■ Think it was my own crap post I was criticising… honest :blush:

Dipper_Dave:

xfmatt:

Dipper_Dave:

Matt

My bad, I was ■■■■■■■ Think it was my own crap post I was criticising… honest :blush:

Lol no worries mate! Looked at my post again and wondered how I was trolling!!

Yelvan:
When I had this problem I just added a cap full of Miltons sterilising solution to the washer bottle, the stuff you use to sterilise babies bottles & available from chemists & most supermarkets. Worked a treat for me :slight_smile:

Right I have the sterilising solution so what’s the best method? Did you empty the washer bottle out first then fill up with water or just add it to an already full washer bottle and let it wash the lines through??

Cheers
Matt.

I reckon you should empty all the old stuff, refill, empty again to flush it out, then fill up adding the Jollop.

If that doesn’t work, you can get stuff to clean out & sterilise Motorhome Fresh Water tanks.

martinviking:
If that doesn’t work, you can get stuff to clean out & sterilise Motorhome Fresh Water tanks.

You can do, but it’s expensive. Milton sterilising fluid would do the job, or even cheaper Poundland do an own-brand version of it.

I’ve had this before. It smelt like vomit every time o cleaned the windscreen. Took the pipes for the washers off the wipers and kept on the washer stall till the tank was empty. At the end there was a bit of sludge drawn up from the tank. Just it a little water back in and empty again.
Sounds like the Milton may be a quicker way of doing it though.