Stillers acquired by Hargreaves

Hargreaves Services have just purchased Stiller Tankers. There is hardly anything left of the old Stiller Group.

Funny, I was reading that. a lot of old tanker names gone with a deal like that, dangerous territory for Dennis Dixon Hoyer etc

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … nkers.html

Its no big secret that Stillers have been hit hard, their Steel work has slowed dramaticaly especially what used to be Carlines work in Wales. in the North East (Stillers home) the other big hauliers in the area have been quite successful in diversifying way from steel and chemicals , for example Prestons seem to be holding their own and picking up new contracts in areas they havent traditionaly worked.

Having watched Stillers for many years, and having a good number of freinds and ex colleagues who have worked for them , I have seen them go from their small depot at Middleton St George to the prestigious depot at preston farm, their aqusition of Sadlers and Carline, the opening of new depots, their expansion into european heavy haulage and much more I always felt they didnt realy have a niche as a mainstay of the business. they tried to do everything, and tried to do it too fast. without a core niche they have no core business to fall back on and downsize too when times are tough.

It is a real shame they are in these difficulties because Stillers are one of the better run companies. I do hope that they can remodel themselves, focus on a sector that they can do rather than try to be everything to every customer.

I got to say in my personal opinion its a classic case of too big - too quick and forgetting that while the mundane may not attract the headlines , it pays the bills

The rumour merchants are whispering …

…Stillers have leased the Preston Farm depot to Hargraves for the tankers for the next 10 years unless they need it back. They still have some warehousing but have dumped most of the non-profit making areas by now. Most operations have been moved to Newton Aycliffe ( a much smaller place) and Peter Stiller is back in charge!

Rikki-UK:
Its no big secret that Stillers have been hit hard, their Steel work has slowed dramaticaly especially what used to be Carlines work in Wales. in the North East (Stillers home) the other big hauliers in the area have been quite successful in diversifying way from steel and chemicals , for example Prestons seem to be holding their own and picking up new contracts in areas they havent traditionaly worked.

Having watched Stillers for many years, and having a good number of freinds and ex colleagues who have worked for them , I have seen them go from their small depot at Middleton St George to the prestigious depot at preston farm, their aqusition of Sadlers and Carline, the opening of new depots, their expansion into european heavy haulage and much more I always felt they didnt realy have a niche as a mainstay of the business. they tried to do everything, and tried to do it too fast. without a core niche they have no core business to fall back on and downsize too when times are tough.

It is a real shame they are in these difficulties because Stillers are one of the better run companies. I do hope that they can remodel themselves, focus on a sector that they can do rather than try to be everything to every customer.

I got to say in my personal opinion its a classic case of too big - too quick and forgetting that while the mundane may not attract the headlines , it pays the bills

What is left of the old Stiller Group?

Stillers still have some warehousing, and I THINK they also have property that they lease/rent out.

unconfirmed - but am told they have warehousing in teesside, leeds and south wales, they still have the Palletline work and are still running some vehicles on contracts, but they do seem have have gone as a major haulage player. The above comes from a chat with a contact and am more than willing to withdraw it/correct it if its wrong

Who is behind hargreaves, I know verey few people can stay infront of them( on the road that is)

fuse:
Who is behind hargreaves, I know verey few people can stay infront of them( on the road that is)

they are quoted on the stock exchange

fuse:

Just lately i have been passing them on a daily basis…seem most are now limited to 52-53…

scotty1972:

fuse:

Just lately i have been passing them on a daily basis…seem most are now limited to 52-53…

Imperial (part of Hargreaves) were limited to 52 way before they were bought out Scotty. I reckon if you manage to pass one of their tippers it’s cos he’s got a sore leg! :smiley:

scotty1972:

fuse:

Didn’t they get their knuckles rapped by a TC recently?

Who was it who worked on SRM with imperial? he was on here regularly when he started with them.

Wheel Nut:
Who was it who worked on SRM with imperial? he was on here regularly when he started with them.

That’ll be Matchbox. Iirc he got himself into a bit of bother for some of his slanderous comments

the maoster:

Wheel Nut:

That’ll be Matchbox. Iirc he got himself into a bit of bother for some of his slanderous comments

he also gave the game away on a couple of perks. :laughing:

Stiller bought james durrans and [zb] that up within 12 months

matchbox is still there
as am I
But Imperial are constantly monitoring here, and for whatever they can get on drivers via facebook.
so i must be careful what i say in public
Did any of you guys see the imperial tanker that got rolled over in Cornhill on Tweed a few months ago?

georgeking:

fuse:

they are quoted on the stock exchange

They are and the man who seems to be running the acquisitions is MD Mark Forrest

It seems a bloke like him has the experience to grow Jones / Stiller / Sadler / Imperial as a major tanker brand through Hargreaves Services. Most recently, he put together the Westlink Group of companies which was merged with the Stobart Group in the summer of 2007. Prior to this, he held operational and divisional directorships with P&O Pandoro, with responsibility for all that company’s Irish Sea operations. He was also Divisional Director, Humber & Solent Ports, for PD Ports.

I DONT THINK YOU CAN PUT THEM IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS SADLERS OR DENNIS DIXON FOR PROFESSIONALISM, NOT WHAT I HAVE SEEN OF THEM ANYWAY

fuse:
I DONT THINK YOU CAN PUT THEM IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS SADLERS OR DENNIS DIXON FOR PROFESSIONALISM, NOT WHAT I HAVE SEEN OF THEM ANYWAY

Obviously not, most of us old tanker men have curled up with cocoa and slippers as well as the star men from Brit European, S Jones of Aldridge and many others, although Gilbraiths were professionals too. They had to be to drive some of the tackle :laughing:

The above statement is to be taken lightly, it is meant to be taken in fun :laughing: