Still driving past retirement age

Give it up, your turn is over. There’s a newbie that can’t get a job because of YOU!

Hmm… discuss

Tough!

Definitely will be a driver shortage if they all give up :open_mouth: :laughing:

Lots of older drivers nowadays came up through the job when having a company pension was a rarity, so lots of them cannot afford to retire.
Would newbies be prepared to pay into a special fund to enable older drivers to retire?
Or, alternatively, find a driver past retirement age and offer to buy his job!

“Tough” may be a bit harsh, :wink: but thats the way it is.

For some drivers, it’s the only thing keeping them alive, whether it be because of money or because their partner has died etc.

Stop being selfish, as long as they’re passing the medicals, capable and willing to do the job, then good on them.

BUT, I’m out of work at the moment, and I’d like your job please :smiley:

Most of the drivers over 65 who are still working,earned very poor wages in far tougher conditions than today’s drivers,when there was no handling and lifting law or health and safety.As a previous post says they only have the old age pension to live on if they pack up.Those that did pay into private pension schemes have either lost them,or they are worth sweet F A nowadays.

I agree with Dave, those of us who payed into “Bombproof Pensions” have found out since that they are worth nothing like what was promised! Plenty of lads around here still working past retirement I’m afraid.

Pete.

windrush:
I agree with Dave, those of us who payed into “Bombproof Pensions” have found out since that they are worth nothing like what was promised! Plenty of lads around here still working past retirement I’m afraid.Pete.

when it comes,it will be a thing of the past,the only time you will retire ,is when filling the one way box.

bigvern1:
Tough!

What he said…^^^^^^

If there were a finite number of jobs then and older guy would be blocking a job.There are not a fixed number of jobs so that is not the case,just keep trying like the rest of us.I know its tough been there got the tee shirt.

We have guys at my place who came back via agency after retiring, these guys are well off - great pension and they got the gravy train when the shares where through the roof. So they dont need the money i just think they’re ‘‘institutionalised’’ as red said from the shawshank redemption.

You wont see me for dust when i retire, i’ll be sipping a pint down the golf club after 18 holes.

merc0447:
We have guys at my place who came back via agency after retiring, these guys are well off - great pension and they got the gravy train when the shares where through the roof. So they dont need the money i just think they’re ‘‘institutionalised’’ as red said from the shawshank redemption.

You wont see me for dust when i retire, i’ll be sipping a pint down the golf club after 18 holes.

You and me both mate :smiley:

IIRC Didn’t a 70 odd year old stobart driver wipe an entire family out? IMO 65 and its time to hang the key’s up.

alamcculloch:
If there were a finite number of jobs then and older guy would be blocking a job.There are not a fixed number of jobs so that is not the case,just keep trying like the rest of us.I know its tough been there got the tee shirt.

If that’s right then there must be an infinite amount of more decent jobs than drivers :open_mouth:.

Most of you lot are going to have to work until you are 70 anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Fileep:
IIRC Didn’t a 70 odd year old stobart driver wipe an entire family out? IMO 65 and its time to hang the key’s up.

I think a few 30 year olds have done this too? :wink: :wink:

As a new kid on the block, as it were, and with my post of a couple of weeks back in mind ( titled Crisis…) I would say that if a person is fit to do the job - both mentally and physically, then they should be free to continue to work. That said if a RETIRED driver returns to work WHILST claiming a STATE pension, then its my view this has to be looked at. Maybe if their state payments are not their only income - they may have a private pension, then some sort of equilibrium could be sought.
Of course you could turn the whole argument on its head and say it out to be the same for a new driver? if the skills of the driver are comparable to a more experienced operator then why not employ?

I don’t know how I found time to work and I am just pleased that they did not decide to put the retirement age up earlier and if you do work the tax can’t wait to get his grubby mitts on it the same as he does with private pensions. when the yearning kicks in we take a coach trip and let somebody else put up with hassle and just sit back and enjoy the scenery. :laughing: :wink:

Steve-o:
Give it up, your turn is over. There’s a newbie that can’t get a job because of YOU!

Hmm… discuss

Fortunateley the only qualification needed to be a truck driver at present is a HGV licence. It maybe good to look for other criteria like for example…age, who has no kids, who is gay,who has paid their mortgage, etc…then ■■■■■■■■■ who can’t get a job now could be considered for a job.