Sticky Scania range-change..?

I’m driving an R reg 124 for my lessons and test, but if you come DOWN from high to low too fast it ‘looses’ the gears… :open_mouth:
I’ve seen the ‘servo’ thing on SmERF (looks like a car starter motor) but she NEVER did ‘lost’ gears…

So is it just knackered, dirty or normal scanny… ■■

It’s seriously NOT helping as a ‘test’ vehicle… !!!
In a ‘mock’ test today, I ended up gettin 3 faults for gears, 2 of which were completely due to the GB screwing up simply cuz i’d not given it a ‘second’ to engage… :imp:

Luv
Chrisie…

The 4 series Scania’s are known for it. You find yourself in no-man’s land if you change between low and high range too quickly. If you think it’s bad running empty try pulling full weight up a hill from a slow speed and I’ll guarantee you’ll wind up in no-man’s land when changing from 3rd high to 4th low (12 speed box) or you’ll find that you’ve managed to get 4th low but the revs are that low that you need to change back down into the low box again!

If you ever get to drive an Iveco artic with the 16 speed box, make sure you hold the clutch to the floor for 5 seconds when changing between the splits cause they are really slow and won’t engage if you rush them!

Normal Scania I’m afraid…they are designed to stop you dropping into low range with the revs too high, hence damaging the gearbox. :wink:

The way I got used to it is this - slow down to the speed at which you think you’re ready to change down…then flick the range change switch/collar, nice and casually, no rush…then start putting the clutch in and changing down…still slowing whilst your doing all of it. That way the revs should be l;ow enough for it to slide straight in.
Bear in mind that truck clutches are designed to be engaged quickly, rather than gradually like a car or smaller lorry…if you do the “slipping it in” thing with 44t on you’ll burn them out in no time!

Slow and steady, you have all the time in the world! :grimacing:

It’s a knackered Scanny. Someone will be able to explain this in more detail than I, but it’s got what I’ll term as a laggie band driving the range change in the gearbox. Sometimes this stretches and it doesn’t change through cleanley hence the problems with the range change. I drove a resonabley new Topliner (400k’s) yesterday and the same thing’s happening on that, it also happens on two year old jobbies, so we defect them and the fitters sort the problem out. You miss the gear the first time as it’s not changed through the range and get a right old crunching sound when it goes through the second time. Most of the time you can work round it by listening to the gearbox go clunk as it changes through the range and then put it in gear. That way your sure it’s in, but I bet it isn’t helping. I personally would have a word and see if they could sort it. It’s unfair if your vehicle’s upsetting you - you’ll be as nervous as anything on test day and you don’t need anything making it worse :wink: .

range change on the daf i run now needs a second or two when going down as did the erf i had before it so it’s just part of driving em i’d say.

Its the only truck Ive had problems with the range change. all the others have been pritty good. Been driving a volvo recently and you can feel it going down and up, Iveco is a slap so it goes ok. Scania seems to need to be oh so slow with slow revs which is an absolute pain

I thought it was just me. It fels like I can make a cup of tea sometimes when waiting for mine to change range. it is equally slow going up and down. The number of times I have missed 4th low and ended up in that magical neutral !!

I always put it down to me rushing the gears, but that rubber band would make sense. It must be the same one that my 420 lame 3 legged donkeys walk along to get me up the hills… :smiley: :smiley:

Lucy:
Normal Scania I’m afraid…they are designed to stop you dropping into low range with the revs too high, hence damaging the gearbox. :wink:

The way I got used to it is this - slow down to the speed at which you think you’re ready to change down…then flick the range change switch/collar, nice and casually, no rush…then start putting the clutch in and changing down…still slowing whilst your doing all of it. That way the revs should be l;ow enough for it to slide straight in.
Bear in mind that truck clutches are designed to be engaged quickly, rather than gradually like a car or smaller lorry…if you do the “slipping it in” thing with 44t on you’ll burn them out in no time!

Slow and steady, you have all the time in the world! :grimacing:

Spot on but like Liberace said, listen to it. :wink: