STGO

Hi Guys,

This is probably in the wrong place but I was wondering what you have to do to drive stgo. I’ve looked all over the internet and can’t really find anything. Do you need to do any tests or course? I’m new to driving. I’m doing my cat 2 at the moment. Wanting to do something above the norm and fancy heavy haulage.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Thanks

You can drive any rigid goods vehicle even one over the normal legal limit of 32t on a cat C licence.

As far as I’m aware no test/courses , it’s just Woking your way up the ladder ,heavy haulage seems good apart from when it’s ■■■■■■■ down/windy/snowing lol

You are likely to need upgrade to Artic licence (Cat C+E), plus experience and then it is down to company whether they use you for STGO work - no special test/licence reqd.
A good place to start might be plant transport - delivering/collecting dump trucks/fork-lifts & the like, even on rigids before taking C+E test…then moving on to STGO

Thanks guys.

That’s my plan. Find a job then do c and e.

Smoggie89:
seems good apart from when it’s ■■■■■■■ down/windy/snowing lol

I move forklift trucks on a rigid and your so right with that comment :laughing: :laughing:

I always have a second look at the chains when I see a load and always wonder how they keep the load on (well most of the time lol) same as when I started on containers , even now I have second thoughts about the twistlocks

Just ratchet straps allowed for me as chains scratch the paint on new trucks :laughing:
We used bottle screw years ago to strap tanks down on the military ships.

I don’t even know how to use chains lol , used them in the army but haven’t a clue how to use them now been so long, how many chains would be used to tie a CAT dumper down ? 4/6 ?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: same here :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Smoggie89:
I don’t even know how to use chains lol , used them in the army but haven’t a clue how to use them now been so long, how many chains would be used to tie a CAT dumper down ? 4/6 ?

depends on the size of the cat dumper, normal dumper would be 2 chains, moxy dumper 4 chains, for a cat 777 then i would looking at 6 chains.

I used to write a plant moving blog a few years ago to use as an online CV of sorts in case I ever needed it. If you have the inclination you could have a look at this to give an insight about this type of work.

I used to get a lot of questions about certain things like chains and securing so I did this one, which explains some of it in more detail.

Whilst some of my methods might not gain approval from everyone, I’m still doing the same job and have always got to my destination with the same amount of plant that I left with. :smiley:

Hope it helps.

Cheers 8wheels will have a look mate

Don’t mind helping out people who are interested or looking for an “in” it’s a funny old business but often a little bit of knowledge and a lot of the right attitude will get a door open.

It might take a while but it’s certainly possible. Feel free to PM me if you think I can help.

I see firms like colletts and allelys and think yeah wouldn’t mind doing that lol but I hear people usually start on caravans etc and work their way up… 8wheels have you ever bought your own chains etc or always have them supplied? I’ve known people to buy their own ratchets before that’s all

No it’s all provided by the company, but I do tend to keep a close eye on them. When the straps get tatty I cut them down to shorter lengths and eventually they secure my ramps on the beavertail at about 2’ long, the ratchet handles usually fall apart or sometimes get tracked / run over :laughing: . The chains have been in daily use for years and are still good but the tensioners are getting a bit worn and will soon need some new ones.

I always keep a couple of brand new ratchet straps in the cab, in case I get an awkward load that needs more than I’ve got available or get one break or cut. Last resort is a bundle of rope that can be used for odds and ends. Plus cable ties for loose flappy bits.

Get you class1 and then call tripod crest they are usually crying out for drivers on wag and drag STGO cat 2 hauling road planers around. Then wait til someone on low loaders leaves ( won’t be long usually) apply for low loaders and go from there. Low loader work is typically 70 tonnes and up

Thanks that’s really helpful.

Hankins86 , welcome to trucknet if you want to know how to secure plant go to 8 wheels site it is the best guide you will get.
If you want to get a job on low loader work you’ll have to work up to it gradually as has been said , what area are you in .
Jim
Ps 8w don’t get too bulled up !

8wheels:
I used to write a plant moving blog a few years ago to use as an online CV of sorts in case I ever needed it. If you have the inclination you could have a look at this to give an insight about this type of work.

http://www.8-wheels.blogspot.co.uk/

I used to get a lot of questions about certain things like chains and securing so I did this one, which explains some of it in more detail.

http://8-wheels-toolbox.blogspot.co.uk/

Whilst some of my methods might not gain approval from everyone, I’m still doing the same job and have always got to my destination with the same amount of plant that I left with. :smiley:

Hope it helps.

Thanks for that, a good read :sunglasses: