STGO?

Howdy all,

Quick question when u see heavy haulage with the STGO plaques on the front has the driver done additional courses to be able to drive that type of weight vehicle? Or is it simply start at a heavy haulage firm and work you way up?

Or is it simply start at a heavy haulage firm and work you way up?

^ This

azza91:
Howdy all,

Quick question when u see heavy haulage with the STGO plaques on the front has the driver done additional courses to be able to drive that type of weight vehicle? Or is it simply start at a heavy haulage firm and work you way up?

Maybe you dont work your Way up.
Just get a Job and do them.
You got a HGV License and learned everything you need to know at CPC Course. :exclamation:
Seen last a Lorry from Welham Green who secured a Excavator with an Strap over the Cab :grimacing:
That Driver im seen now in a Royal Mail Lorry. Seems in that Company was of de sudden a Job free :stuck_out_tongue:

Rikki-UK:

^ This

Seconded. I’ve done it even on agency. I started out doing abnormal load work on caravan and static caravan chassis starting at 9ft wide then working up to 16fters and as a limping agency driver ended up double manning on 100ft long wind turbine masts and blades grossing 100 tonnes in the late 90’s with Mammoet going from Hull docks to some hill in Ireland.

Interesting work, requires a lot of ingenuity and practical problem solving aptitude especially when trying to get a wind turbine mast and blades down single track country roads in Ireland. Lots of waiting around as well as weather, especially wind and ground stability as a result of rain, tends to dictate a lot of unloading.

Conor:

Rikki-UK:

^ This

Seconded. I’ve done it even on agency. I started out doing abnormal load work on caravan and static caravan chassis starting at 9ft wide then working up to 16fters and as a limping agency driver ended up double manning on 100ft long wind turbine masts and blades grossing 100 tonnes in the late 90’s with Mammoet going from Hull docks to some hill in Ireland.

Interesting work, requires a lot of ingenuity and practical problem solving aptitude especially when trying to get a wind turbine mast and blades down single track country roads in Ireland. Lots of waiting around as well as weather, especially wind and ground stability as a result of rain, tends to dictate a lot of unloading.

Don’t know what sort of wind turbines they were mate I’ve put up some big turbines and the blades weigh no where near 100ton did you mean the narcell

Or even the nacelle… :wink:

spit the dog:
Don’t know what sort of wind turbines they were mate I’ve put up some big turbines and the blades weigh no where near 100ton did you mean the narcell

The 100 tonnes was gross weight when we were moving the masts, blades were a lot lighter. The unit and trailer weighed almost 38 tonnes unladen.

They’re sat or were sat on a hill north west of Buncrana in Eire.

Conor:

spit the dog:

The 100 tonnes was gross weight when we were moving the masts, blades were a lot lighter. The unit and trailer weighed almost 38 tonnes unladen.

They’re sat or were sat on a hill north west of Buncrana in Eire.

I know what your saying mate the empty ballast trucks for our cranes go about 30ton unladen

spit the dog:
I know what your saying mate the empty ballast trucks for our cranes go about 30ton unladen

A six axle ballast trailer on a 6x4 used to be closer to 36 tonne unladen- has Broshuis and Nooteboom managed to find a way to lose the weight? and this is before the silly wire cages and ladders they seem to have nowadays- that said back then even at 36 tonne a certain company I worked for seemed more than happy to drop 80 tonnes of ballast on then a lattice boom section on top . :wink:

Does the special order still restrict crane ballast to 100 tonne GVW?

Rikki-UK:

spit the dog:

A six axle ballast trailer on a 6x4 used to be closer to 36 tonne unladen- has Broshuis and Nooteboom managed to find a way to lose the weight? and this is before the silly wire cages and ladders they seem to have nowadays- that said back then even at 36 tonne a certain company I worked for seemed more than happy to drop 80 tonnes of ballast on then a lattice boom section on top . :wink:

Yes it’s still the same 100ton gtw with ballast and I think I have worked for the company you worked for and they are not the only ones that do it !!!

spit the dog:

Rikki-UK:

spit the dog:

Yes it’s still the same 100ton gtw with ballast and I think I have worked for the company you worked for and they are not the only ones that do it !!!

Trailers are lighter now and most use 3 axle tractors