STGO something not quite right?

I was overtaken on the Motorway today by a tandem drive unit with a four axle low loader trailer bearing STGO cat 2 plates.
Am I wrong in thinking that STGO is for over weight/size indivisible loads and means just that?
This vehicle, from a construction company, was carrying a large Barber Greene machine and a road roller.
Is something amiss here or not, because that is certainly not indivisible?

cav551:
I was overtaken on the Motorway today by a tandem drive unit with a four axle low loader trailer bearing STGO cat 2 plates.
Am I wrong in thinking that STGO is for over weight/size indivisible loads and means just that?
This vehicle, from a construction company, was carrying a large Barber Greene machine and a road roller.
Is something amiss here or not, because that is certainly not indivisible?

Deffo something amiss.
You say “tandem drive”,presume it was a double drive which are usually low geared .
If it overtook you,how fast were you going?

6x4 Actross and about 55 slowed down to let it pass quickly once it pulled out.

Category 1 and Category 2
Two or more abnormal indivisible loads may be carried if:

each load is the same character; and
they are loaded at the same place and carried to the same destination; and
the overall width of any vehicle used does not exceed the width necessary to carry the widest single load; and
the overall length does not exceed the length necessary to carry the longest single load.

transportsfriend.org/abnormal/category.html

No your not wrong, but remember just because a truck/trailer is capable of operating under STGO doesn’t mean it can only do abnormal load work. As long as the trailer and unit have a Construction and use plate as well it can work as a “normal” truck.

A paver and roller depending on sizes can easily be under 44 tonnes GVW even on a 4 axle trailer- and as said above if over 44 tonne and into STGO then its still legal to carry under certain circumstances

its the INVISIBLE bit that makes me laugh :unamused:

I used to carry goods under STGO 2 and if I was doing other work not under STGO, the plate had to be covered up or DVSA would not take kindly.

Sapper

So I gather that if he was running under cat 2 he was speeding, but if he was under C&U he should have covered up the STGO plates.