STGO / oversize

It’s basically the same question twice, but both border on the frine of my work so I’m after answer to both.

If you run an STGO unit and trailer, can you load it with whatever up to the specified weight ie. coud you carry 1x 20t machine and an 8t machine (or similar weight to put you over 44t) or is it only for indivisble loads such as a 30 tonner.

I have a wide load authorisation from Essex Police allowing me to transport goods at up to 3.6m without pror noification within Essex (subject to certain times and roads etc) Is this only to be used when transporting goods that cannot be divided and transported conventionally.

Hope this makes sense.

An abnormal load is defined as indivisible.
so you cant put 2 x 1.8m cabins side by side creating a 3.6 m wide load.

weight is slightly different, in that under STGO cat 2 rules you can carry 2 similar peices that are loaded and being delivered to the same place, as long as the first one would put you into STGO cat limits (e.g Load one peice that takes you over 44 tonnes, then load a second that doesnt take you over 80 tonnes)

there are other exceptions, crane ballast for example can consist of multiple items and run up to 100 tonnes

(It has been a while tho, I am sure if there have been changes from that then JJ will be along to correct me) :wink:

Thanks Rikki, it’s largely what I thought.

Otherwise there’d be all sorts of odd bulky but light loads getting moved side by side.

As for the STGO, it was just something that I saw today that looked wrong but was probably OK for the reasons you’ve described.

correct - you can’t be that rusty rikki :wink: somebody we both know was running a while back with an old 5 axle semi, moving 2 x 25te steel slabs out of scunny to immingham, rate for one on a trailer was attrocious at about £ 120, but get 2 on and burn a bit more diesel and it wasn’t too bad

put a casual driver doing nights so you move 12-14 per 24 hours like he did and it’s even better! :laughing:

Like the truck I saw a few years ago carrying 3 brand new Hook skips on an extended trombone trailer :smiley:.

I dont think trombone trailers were designed for that task, but I suppose its one way of increasing the earning potential until getting pulled.

Calv

jj72:
correct - you can’t be that rusty rikki :wink: somebody we both know was running a while back with an old 5 axle semi, moving 2 x 25te steel slabs out of scunny to immingham, rate for one on a trailer was attrocious at about £ 120, but get 2 on and burn a bit more diesel and it wasn’t too bad

put a casual driver doing nights so you move 12-14 per 24 hours like he did and it’s even better! :laughing:

i remember that as well,wondered how long it would last until someone put a stop to it