STGO CAT 2 and 3

Evening all.
I’ve been doing a bit of googling to not much results. I’m 21 (22 this year) passed my class 1 last May and I want to move onto bigger things. Is there a specific age or test you have to do for STGO work.
Cheers

No, but you’ll find it nearly impossible to get on with any of the reputable heavy hauliers without proven experience doing that kind of work. Your way in is to start on the smaller plant stuff on low-loaders and then work your way up. And yes that does mean getting lathered up to the eyeballs in mud and grease at this type of year and also being fit and strong enough to lug heavy sleepers around.

Carl Usher:
No, but you’ll find it nearly impossible to get on with any of the reputable heavy hauliers without proven experience doing that kind of work. Your way in is to start on the smaller plant stuff on low-loaders and then work your way up. And yes that does mean getting lathered up to the eyeballs in mud and grease at this type of year and also being fit and strong enough to lug heavy sleepers around.
[/quote]

Sounds fun :open_mouth:

Yeah that’s my plan. Just trying to find some one who will give me a chance.
I don’t mind the mucky side to it. I’m not afraid to get stuck in and dirty.
Thanks for the replies!

Could get yourself a job somewhere that runs low loaders as well as ‘normal’ artic work.

I.E where i work i mainly drive with a tipper trailer behind me but depending on work i may hitch up to walking floor, ejector, curtain sider, flat bed or low loader. The low loader work was the last thing i got to do as im guessing they were testing me on the other work before going near the low loaders. Unfortunately for me im down the list again after injuring one of my arms so last time had to take a helper with me to do the chains etc.

Like mentioned above it does involve climbing around and moving heavy chains and wooden blocks etc. Maybe you should watch the ‘fun’ they have at Kings Haulage on the tv show Supertruckers. I do it when my boss needs help but i wouldn’t do it full time anytime soon.

I started on a 26t rigid moving forklift trucks and now drive an artic still doing the flt’s but bigger and more at a time.
I have had the heads up my name is put down for another job (heavy haulage) by a mate I worked with who recommended me to his boss as my mate knows I will get on with the job and he is confident on my driving, so in a couple of months who knows :wink: .
I like where I am now but it has a few niggles that make you want to ■■■■ the corner of a wall.
All this and I only passed class 1 at the age of 50 in October, had class 2 for a lifetime though :laughing:

Keep the word your interested and show your keen and enjoy a challenge (before you even get driving) and you will get there.

Im playing the long game as i got my licence when i left uni (I know terrible) when i was 21 so im still chilling at 28yrs old thinking something better will come along. Im not really concerned with the really big loads, like most people the pay, location etc generally wins.

Its definitely a case of getting someones trust to go near the big stuff.