STGO Advice Needed

Please can anyone help with this? I did post it in the “Law” section a week ago but got no replies…

I’ve recently started for a plant hire company driving a 6 axle 44t lowloader. I’m told the trucks are rated for STGO Cat2 and there are the Cat2 boards for the front of the unit when running over 44 tonnes. Normally, I’m running at below 44t so there’s no problems but we do have some 24t machines and with the buckets and any other accessories, that takes the gross weight of the truck over 44t but not over 50t.

1. The plate certificate in the unit is a standard 44t one, i.e. the standard axle weights etc, 26t limit for the unit and 44t max train weight in the UK. Shouldn’t this be different for going into STGO territory?

2. Our loads don’t take the GVW to over 50t which would fall in as STGO Cat 1, do I have to display a Cat1 sign on the unit or Cat2 (cos that’s what the trucks are rated to)? If I have to have the Cat2 plate on (even though I’m over 44t but less than 50t GVW), am I then restricted to Cat2 speed limits?

3. If carrying a 25t machine and 4 buckets takes the overall weight over 50t (and becomes a STGO Cat2), would one or more buckets have to be carried on a separate truck because the whole lot together doesn’t qualify as an indivisible load?

I’ve tried researching on the internet but I need this explaining in proper English :wink:

Have you looked all through the guidelines on GOV.UK■■

Display the cat 1 if that’s what your running at, also the speed limits are a nitemare and date back to 1975 [emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Rikki-UK:

Shrek:
Please can anyone help with this? I did post it in the “Law” section a week ago but got no replies…

I’ve recently started for a plant hire company driving a 6 axle 44t lowloader. I’m told the trucks are rated for STGO Cat2 and there are the Cat2 boards for the front of the unit when running over 44 tonnes. Normally, I’m running at below 44t so there’s no problems but we do have some 24t machines and with the buckets and any other accessories, that takes the gross weight of the truck over 44t but not over 50t.

1. The plate certificate in the unit is a standard 44t one, i.e. the standard axle weights etc, 26t limit for the unit and 44t max train weight in the UK. Shouldn’t this be different for going into STGO territory?
    You should have some where on the unit a separate STGO plating certificate showing your possible STGO axle and gross weights

2. Our loads don’t take the GVW to over 50t which would fall in as STGO Cat 1, do I have to display a Cat1 sign on the unit or Cat2 (cos that’s what the trucks are rated to)? If I have to have the Cat2 plate on (even though I’m over 44t but less than 50t GVW), am I then restricted to Cat2 speed limits?
    You should show the appropriate STGO Cat board - however it would be a very pedantic officer who pulls you for this, your speed limits would be as per the cat your load puts you into

3. If carrying a 25t machine and 4 buckets takes the overall weight over 50t (and becomes a STGO Cat2), would one or more buckets have to be carried on a separate truck because the whole lot together doesn’t qualify as an indivisible load?
    Nope as long as one piece take you into Cat 2 and the pieces are going to the same place you can carry more than one peice, you can also once into Cat 2 carry any accessories for the piece as long as the accessories do not exceed the width or overall length of the load or put you over the Cat 2 weights so yes you can carry the buckets

I’ve tried researching on the internet but I need this explaining in proper English :wink:

Hope this helps

1. The unit and trailer should both have STGO plates showing the axle weight/speed limits permitted. There’s no standard format for these, especially with tractor units. It could be a sticker -aka ‘plaque’- on the door frame (Mercedes) or a laminated sheet of A4 paper (Scania). Those on trailers tend to be of a similar style to the manufactuer’s chassis plate, and mount next to it.

2. Running at 44t-50t means you should really have Cat 1 plates on. Re: speed limits, lip service is paid to them by and large, certainly up to about 65t gtw. Best idea would be to stick to 50-ish mph and don’t go mad on the downhill overspeed - your main consideration with speed is during hot weather, as the wheels/tyres/breaks can run a lot warmer, especially with small trailer wheels.

3. The 4x buckets are/can/would/should be classed as ancillary equipment to the main load and considered part of it.

As with any transport type, methods and opinions/interpretations of the rules tend to differ between different operators.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Some great answers there folks…thank-you!

Does the OP not have a colleague to ask or even the transport manager? You should not be expected to figure this out yourself bud. What happened during training/induction?

The trouble is that other drivers and tm’s May not know the actual answer or give you the one that fits best.

With this sort of work, making it look right and avoid getting stopped in the first is the best policy. Any DVSA or traffic officer will always be able to find something so if you are taking the ■■■■ then you are asking for trouble

GCR2ERF:
2. Running at 44t-50t means you should really have Cat 1 plates on. Re: speed limits, lip service is paid to them by and large, certainly up to about 65t gtw. Best idea would be to stick to 50-ish mph and don’t go mad on the downhill

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Agree about speed limits, but here’s a thought for the drivers, he recent offence of causing serious injury by careless driving has mandatory disq and potential prison. Having a small incident and causing serious injury ( the injury is not as bad as you might think), being 1-2moh over the STgO speed limit would be enough for proof of. The carelessness. Now think what they’d do if you doing 50ish when the limit is 40/35/30 … the single carriageways being the most likely to go quicker as well as have an incident!!!