step chains

I always thought they where some sort of anti static thing, i know someones going to say plastic can’t conduct electricity but neither can fleece jackets and you can get a belt off them.

Just sent a message to the driver of this truck what they are for, so watch this space :laughing:

The mesage i got back was …
They r ferry chains,keep her up right in rough seas ;-D

phantom309:

plastic chains bolted to a plastic bumper or step surround are going to keep a truck upright :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if the seas are that rough to tip a truck over, i would not count on getting home at all :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

typical scania driver TBH, full of …it :wink:

shuttlespanker:

phantom309:

plastic chains bolted to a plastic bumper or step surround are going to keep a truck upright :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if the seas are that rough to tip a truck over, i would not count on getting home at all :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

typical scania driver TBH, full of …it :wink:

Think he was pullin me chain… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

TAXI :blush:

I mind some old codger telling me a story about them, its to stop travel sickness he said.

A lorry driver who sufferes from travel sickness :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You hear some amount of pish from some people :smiley:

It’s known as ‘Get a life syndrome’ :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I THINK I HAVE THE ANSWER :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
are they to hold the spray flaps up when going through the forest so the dont get ripped off■■?

Just seen a french Nobby Dingledangle truck with the chains on. Twas a highcube drawbar outfit…doubt very much if he goes into the forest too often. Didnt have front mudflaps either.

I think its just a bling thing. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

phantom309:
are they to hold the spray flaps up when going through the forest so the dont get ripped off■■?

there isnt no flaps fitted to the front of the unit though ?

think it is just a bling thing

I’ve thought for some time the best cure for this trend is to always ask who’s garden did they trash and do they know they’ve still got some of the owners fence attached to thier motor.

(I was told by one driver, that the idea is that when manouvring you would hear the plastic chain rubbing on the kerb)

Ive seen tipper trucks with chains hanging down from the rear mudflaps, must be some conection on using rough tracks or summat,

phantom309:

Like a lot of fashion things it does start out with a reason, but then fashion takes over and it’s purpose is lost.
Same as the original reason for wearing a baseball cap backwards, trousers falling off your arse and trainers wthout laces.

chester:
Ive seen tipper trucks with chains hanging down from the rear mudflaps, must be some conection on using rough tracks or summat,

It’s used to lift the mudflaps when reversing, so you don’t get them caught between rough ground and your wheel ripping off both mud flaps and mudgaurds.

muckles:

chester:

It’s used to lift the mudflaps when reversing, so you don’t get them caught between rough ground and your wheel ripping off both mud flaps and mudgaurds.

the chains on tipper rear mudflaps are for tarmac work. The paving machine has rollers on the front and pushes the lorry by its rear tyres.

jonmea:

muckles:

chester:

the chains on tipper rear mudflaps are for tarmac work. The paving machine has rollers on the front and pushes the lorry by its rear tyres.

Learn something new everyday. :smiley: I had them on traliers for building site work as we had a spate of ripping mudgaurds off new trailers, and thought that tippers had them for the same reason.

The chains on the front when there are no flaps fitted serve as a warning device. They warn other drivers this guy is only driving this truck because his 999bhp, Scanvolaf Supertoptrotter XF is in having another 12 spotlights fitted today. And anyway he gets paid so much, clears a grand a week, he has ran out of things to spend it on so has resorted to buying any old thing he can find to attach to the truck just to get rid of some of his fortune. Plus as he only works 27 hours a week he has loads of time on his hands and he once saw a Dutch truck with chains there so they must be a good idea.

So much time in fact he will be able to spend ages telling you about his experiences. How he just missed a certain ferry, he was booked on it but got pulled by the police and by the time he had finished holding the copper by the throat against the side of the trailer and disarming him he was to late to make the boat. He has had many a lucky escape, from exploding truck stops in Belgium to various tunnel disasters, Blanc, Gotthard, Channel Tunnel to name nut a few.

He has had cones placed around his truck, and the 1/2/3/4/5 bays either side, so he could get a good rest after running out of time in more RDC’s than you have ever visited, and the police threatened to arrest the manager/booking clerk/ office boy/shunter if his sleep was disturbed.

He has been over the Blanc with 54 tonne on and only had brakes on one wheel on the descent. He’s done Middle East so many times** he still has sand in his clogs. He’s done Russia, he was one of the first, and has also been 60 kms inside the Chinese border. He spent many a year doing Italy, 3 trips a week and usually cleared at either PratoJohn or Milaninni.

He is ex military, and when he says military he was based in Hereford but obviously can’t talk about it, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. In fact his old CO recently called him up and asked him to go out to Afghanistan/Iraq as they really need his expertise as they are struggling out there.

So take the chains as a warning and if he tries to start up a conversation just reply - “Buenos dias, nicht verstehen mon ami. Arrivederci.” He won’t understand a word of this as the furthest he has ever been is the Isle of Wight on a school trip when he was 11, and after hearing that will wander off muttering about bloody Poles and you will be safe.

**He read Cola Cowboys.

Coffeeholic:
The chains on the front when there are no flaps fitted serve as a warning device. They warn other drivers this guy is only driving this truck because his 999bhp, Scanvolaf Supertoptrotter XF is in having another 12 spotlights fitted today. And anyway he gets paid so much, clears a grand a week, he has ran out of things to spend it on so has resorted to buying any old thing he can find to attach to the truck just to get rid of some of his fortune. Plus as he only works 27 hours a week he has loads of time on his hands and he once saw a Dutch truck with chains there so they must be a good idea.

So much time in fact he will be able to spend ages telling you about his experiences. How he just missed a certain ferry, he was booked on it but got pulled by the police and by the time he had finished holding the copper by the throat against the side of the trailer and disarming him he was to late to make the boat. He has had many a lucky escape, from exploding truck stops in Belgium to various tunnel disasters, Blanc, Gotthard, Channel Tunnel to name nut a few.

He has had cones placed around his truck, and the 1/2/3/4/5 bays either side, so he could get a good rest after running out of time in more RDC’s than you have ever visited, and the police threatened to arrest the manager/booking clerk/ office boy/shunter if his sleep was disturbed.

He has been over the Blanc with 54 tonne on and only had brakes on one wheel on the descent. He’s done Middle East so many times** he still has sand in his clogs. He’s done Russia, he was one of the first, and has also been 60 kms inside the Chinese border. He spent many a year doing Italy, 3 trips a week and usually cleared at either PratoJohn or Milaninni.

He is ex military, and when he says military he was based in Hereford but obviously can’t talk about it, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. In fact his old CO recently called him up and asked him to go out to Afghanistan/Iraq as they really need his expertise as they are struggling out there.

So take the chains as a warning and if he tries to start up a conversation just reply - “Buenos dias, nicht verstehen mon ami. Arrivederci.” He won’t understand a word of this as the furthest he has ever been is the Isle of Wight on a school trip when he was 11, and after hearing that will wander off muttering about bloody Poles and you will be safe.

**He read Cola Cowboys.

And there was me thinking they were baby snow chains :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

**He read Cola Cowboys.

Small world innit, i met that fella the other day!!!

The chains serve no purpose whatsoever, the driver was bored and wanted someone to start a thread about them on TrucknetUK so he could laugh at all the numpties trying to guess what they are for :laughing: :unamused: